It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Old man disrespects Young guy and calls him a typical black punk

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Obviously the kid showed up with the camera, to instigate ,

Sadly, the old guy took the bait, it could/should have been handled differently.

That is what I am seeing anyway.
edit on 093030p://bSaturday2011 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

edit on 093030p://bSaturday2011 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   

FACT is the old man approached the guy. He does indeed push the guy or makes contact.

Grandpa escalated the situation by approaching said individual in a aggressive manner and making contact with him..

The old man wasn't hurt in what was shown, he was pushed back. Some people would have punched him.
In fact if someone pushes me im swinging so actually it coulda been much worse for the old ornery man.

YOU respect EVERYONE regardless of age. Thing is the old man did not respect the kid at all. He is a hothead plain and simple.

The old man handled the situation wrong its just that simple.
edit on 11-6-2011 by ker2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by deesul69

I agree with your post, the kid wanted a reaction and he wanted to record it, the old guy fell for it,

I bet there is more to this than meets the eye, I wonder if there is a history between these two.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

While it's very kind of you to give the old man such "benefit of the doubt", it was the old man that got up in the face of the youth, and he can be seen putting his weight into the shove that you speculate never occurred. Pushing against mere air wouldn't have provided such resistance, and he would have been left far enough off balance that, without the physical resistance, he could have fallen flat on his face if the youth had "side stepped" like you speculate.

Also, it's also hard to say the youth was "much more aggressive" when both were highly aggressive. The old man came to the opposite side of the lake, from his property, and was the one who continually escalated the situation until the kid finally snapped and pushed back. They were both foolish in their actions, and they both crossed boundaries that should have been left alone. Attempting to excuse either's actions seems absurd.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   

That old man don't have to respect some teenager! Elders don't have to show respect to any kid. The kids show respect to the elders. The question I have is, WHO RAISED YOU to think like that?

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
This discussion very much looks like it's geared towards age, rather than race or any other matter going on.

I'm an 18 year old who's skateboarded all of my life. I very well know what it's like to be called a punk, along with a plethora of other stereotypical words that come to mind when older people see me. Little do they know that I am a very respectful individual; that is, until I feel that respect should not be granted.

It appears the young man in the video has a similar mentality to mine. He was very clearly being respectful to the man, and doing something which my generation finds to be respectful; that is, clearing up any issues or bad blood through calm confrontation. The old man, in my opinion, is in the wrong. He admitted to flipping the kid off and yelling at him, while the kid was walking on land that showed no signs of private property in any way. Such an act of uncontrolled frustration and belligerence is, dare I say, childish?

Still, the young man kept cool and tried to resolve the issue, looking to come to some kind of compromise. Then the old man continues his disrespectful rhetoric by resorting to degrading the young man by calling out his race. This is where I, personally, would call it quits on giving respect to anybody, regardless of age. Still, the young man stayed composed and tried to compromise the confrontation in a calm manner.

It appears the line was drawn when the old man finally put his hands on the young man. Physical intervention by the old man was completely unnecessary and immature. The young man was showing respect, SELF-respect that is, by standing his ground and refusing to leave defeated by the arrogant and domineering old man. From there, the old man got in the kids face in an unnecessary and disrespectful fashion, until the young man finally lost his composure and did exactly as the old man did, only in a way that the young man physically could, in a fashion that he understands. Coming from what I would assume is a completely different culture than the old man, the young man acted as he knew how to act in a physical situation. His mannerisms are most likely shocking and disgusting to the older crowd of ATS. But again, being from my generation, it is language and behavior that is really quite common in a physical altercation.

The young man did something that I though most ATSers would respect as well. He questioned what is, for lack of a better term, what could be seen as an authority figure in this situation. The old man, stuck on old wisdom of racism, aggression, and physical dominance, was questioned by the young, calm man who was looking to resolve a conflict independently and without problems. This escalated to the point where the young man lost his cool, but in my opinion, it was understandable.

In closing, my opinion is that the young man was in the right here. I believe that the old man feels entitled to having respect, due to his age, regardless of his actions. Unfortunately this is the vibe I'm getting from some members of the forum. Many members are siding with the old man, on account of lack of respect. But why does this man deserve respect? What has he done to show me that I should admire or look up to him in any way? From my point of view you earn respect from what you do, not how old you are, and the display of ignorance from the old man deserves no respect from me.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   

That old man don't have to respect some teenager! Elders don't have to show respect to any kid. The kids show respect to the elders. The question I have is, WHO RAISED YOU to think like that?

Are you serious or just trolling? Who raised you to think it is ok to drop Gd and the F bombs around a young kid?
This old man was cussing like a sailor around a young girl. Thats respect????? get real. If anyone acted like a thug it was the old man cursing up a storm.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ker2010

The video begins with the boy cussing quietly, I don't doubt this is language the kid is accustomed to.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by HolyandClean

Some of us weren't raise to give automatic respect to people due to age, wealth or wearing a uniform. Especially when they are acting like jerks.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by ker2010

The video begins with the boy cussing quietly, I don't doubt this is language the kid is accustomed to.

Regardless of that the old man should have had more self control ...

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
reply to post by CobraCommander

Whitey? Hmmm!
Ah well, the double standard continues.

Edit to add, not only this and others responses, but ATS allowing slurs against whites and no one else.not the first time and certainly not gonna be the last.
edit on 11-6-2011 by adifferentbreed because: explained above

It was not a racial slur, I was speaking as to his mindset, counterpointing his racism.
edit on 11-6-2011 by CobraCommander because: (no reason given)

EDIT to add: I do feel your pain though when it comes to the hypocrisy of regulating racial remarks in society and on forums, like ATS, but this is not an ATS problem per se, but one of social perception and political correctness.
edit on 11-6-2011 by CobraCommander because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by iltsbas

I am an old guy with long hair, a lot of folks don't respect me either. Much like you, I return what I get, it has served me well through 51 years of life.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by HolyandClean

Well alot of people are working for equality for alot of differnt groups of people so why would the teenager to expect to be given respect mutually and equally. To say you don't aprove of equallity to a teenager then you by then just don't aprove of equallity to anyone and probally think your best and deserve more.
edit on 11-6-2011 by Doublemint because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
How is it that the old generations say that the youth have a stupid sense of entitlement and then turn around and demand respect for their age? Why does being old entitle you to anything? Being old and wise is a different story but this man is clearly not. There is nothing the kid could have said that wouldn't have pissed the old guy off worse. The kid handled the situation ok but that was a great opportunity to teach the kid by example about interacting with people from different walks of life. All flushed down the drain because of his lack of self control.
edit on 11-6-2011 by ScRuFFy63 because: just b/c

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ker2010

Regardless of that the old man should have had more self control ...

1)Trespass on property.

2) Demand 'Respek'.

These two things do not go together. One does not violate another man's property rights and then demand respect.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ScRuFFy63
How is it that the old generations say that the youth have a stupid sense of entitlement and then turn around and demand respect for their age?

Because the young don't do anything. They have no capital and pay no taxes. They don't even get drafted anymore.

And, they aren't even knocking each other up fast enough - so they're lazy too in that regard and it will cause a demographic problem.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by DuceizBack

Haha that was great, he was very patient and that old guy was just looking for trouble n he got it! I'd like to see what happened after this!

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

Actually its the youth who end up joining the army and fighting for their country. In the US soldiers are sent to war very young. Over here in the UK many of our lads join at 16 years old and are sent to war as soon as they are 18. The problem is that old people often stereotype the younger generation as they dont want to understand them. Old people seem to often feel bitter about the modern age throughout history,

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20 >>

join