It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ron Paul: Is He a Racist?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

I find it very difficult to believe any politician ever lost that amount of control over their public image. A question I have is, why did he only address this when confronted with this issue? With the amount of staff a congressman has, not one of them pulled him aside and informed him of this problem? I don't buy it. Could not this base of racist supporters he has be partially attributed to these newsletters?

In the CNN article you linked in your OP he defends himself as being not racist with this statement...

"I am the anti-racist because I am the only candidate -- Republican or Democrat -- who would protect the minority against these vicious drug laws," he said.

since when do the vicious drug laws only affect minorities?

I find his stance on the Civil Rights Act very poor judgement, that either speaks to his naivety, or speaks to his racist beliefs. I find the Act to be upholding the Constitution where individual peoples failed to do so. Where individual peoples fail to uphold equal rights, then yes, we as a nation must step in and deny ignorance. After all we are states within a nation and not a nation of states.
edit on 12-6-2011 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Such complicated questions with very simple answers.

1. What is Ron Paul's views?
That every person is born with the natural rights to Life, Liberty and Property

2. Should the Federal Government regulate marriage of any sort?
No, it violates the natural rights to Life, Liberty and Property

3. Does Ron Paul support states rights?
No, they violate the individuals natural rights of Life, Liberty and Property

4. Does Ron Paul support segregation at any level?
No, it violates the natural rights of Life, Liberty and Property

5. Does Ron Paul support the Civil Rights Act?
No, it violates a business owners natural rights to Life, Liberty and Property

Now do you really think that Dr Paul's commitment to fighting Governments over reaching attacks on a persons natural right to Life, Liberty and Property would actually be somehow different at a state or even local level? He has chosen to attack the beast known as Government at its very heart, on the national stage, at the Federal level, with the intent of opening the minds of ALL people as to the evil nature of all Government.

The inability of "civilised" man to actually think boggles my mind sometimes.
edit on 12-6-2011 by NuroSlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by NuroSlam

What boggles my mind is your expectation that a bunch of monkeys (humans) would be ruled by something like rational thought....

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

What boggles my mind is your expectation that a bunch of monkeys (humans) would be ruled by something like rational thought....

Well, we all have our short comings.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Are you saying yours is over expecting?

This is why Ron Paul has not been successful in the national elections.... Its not about rational thought... Its about primal urges....

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

No, it would be the assumption that man could ever have a moment of clarity to see how uncivilised they actually are and make the decision to no longer be uncivilised monkeys.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by NuroSlam
reply to post by HunkaHunka

No, it would be the assumption that man could ever have a moment of clarity to see how uncivilised they actually are and make the decision to no longer be uncivilised monkeys.

You seem to assume that this ideal of "civilized" is somehow greater than "uncivilized"...

Im fine with mankind in any form it comes in... As any of these is a natural state... What's key is to know what rules the mind at the current point in time so that it can be manipulated toward my (or your) end goals...

This is how someone gets elected.... Responding to the fears and and desires of a constituency with the signs and symbols which communicate to the animal mind that you should be the leader....
edit on 12-6-2011 by HunkaHunka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal
I wish you luck and applaud your efforts to cut this off before it really gets started, but some people believe anything. If they truly believe that Ron Paul is a racist based on the fact that he thinks people should be responsible for themselves instead of asking for hand outs from Government, than they deserve to be stupid. I just hope come election day they stay stupid and stay home.

You do realize that being out of touch with the black experience and insensitive to it's impact is tantamount to racism right?

Tantamount to racism? No, racism is racism. How can a white man be " touch with the black experience"? He will never be black. He will never experience being a victim of racism by an ethnic majority. He would never be accepted into a culture that rejects him. Whites have tried for decades to "be black", by dressing "like them", or talking "like them", or listening to "their music". But that in itself is racist, because they are identifying "those people" by the way they dress, talk, and act.

Even those on the left, the supposed heroes of desegregation, brotherly love, and "can't we all just get along" song-singers, label people as African-Americans, Mexican-Americans, etc. Nobody is immune to race. I, who hold nothing against anyone for being of a particular race, can't avoid it. If I point to someone and say, "look at him", I invariably have to say "that black guy" or "that Latino". Race is the elephant in the room.

How about everyone in America just be...American? America does have its own culture. Even other countries recognize it. Part of the reason for Japan's involvement in WWII was to stamp out "Westernization". They felt their, and other Asian, cultures were being watered down by their adopting of "Western ways".

But "White guilt" will never allow a national homogeneity. There will never be just an "American" as long its citizens continue to attempt to rewrite history and continue with hyphenated nomenclature, race will always be a problem. It's ironic that the more we try to stamp out any references of slavery of blacks and Indians, and wars with Mexico, the more America seems to dislike those people. Maybe if we just embraced and accepted those times in our history, and accepted that they happened, and learned why, we could be on our way to be just Americans.

/TOA

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American

Originally posted by MrWendal
I wish you luck and applaud your efforts to cut this off before it really gets started, but some people believe anything. If they truly believe that Ron Paul is a racist based on the fact that he thinks people should be responsible for themselves instead of asking for hand outs from Government, than they deserve to be stupid. I just hope come election day they stay stupid and stay home.

You do realize that being out of touch with the black experience and insensitive to it's impact is tantamount to racism right?

Tantamount to racism? No, racism is racism. How can a white man be " touch with the black experience"? He will never be black. He will never experience being a victim of racism by an ethnic majority. He would never be accepted into a culture that rejects him. Whites have tried for decades to "be black", by dressing "like them", or talking "like them", or listening to "their music". But that in itself is racist, because they are identifying "those people" by the way they dress, talk, and act.

Even those on the left, the supposed heroes of desegregation, brotherly love, and "can't we all just get along" song-singers, label people as African-Americans, Mexican-Americans, etc. Nobody is immune to race. I, who hold nothing against anyone for being of a particular race, can't avoid it. If I point to someone and say, "look at him", I invariably have to say "that black guy" or "that Latino". Race is the elephant in the room.

How about everyone in America just be...American? America does have its own culture. Even other countries recognize it. Part of the reason for Japan's involvement in WWII was to stamp out "Westernization". They felt their, and other Asian, cultures were being watered down by their adopting of "Western ways".

But "White guilt" will never allow a national homogeneity. There will never be just an "American" as long its citizens continue to attempt to rewrite history and continue with hyphenated nomenclature, race will always be a problem. It's ironic that the more we try to stamp out any references of slavery of blacks and Indians, and wars with Mexico, the more America seems to dislike those people. Maybe if we just embraced and accepted those times in our history, and accepted that they happened, and learned why, we could be on our way to be just Americans.

/TOA

Do you realize that every time you referred to a group of people you capitalized it, except when you refered to "black" people... You even capitalized the very phrase you are opposed to "African-American".

You also seem to miss the fact that there are as many varied and unique African American cultures as there are European cultures.... And that some of their family narratives have been defined by oppression in this nation and some have been defined by the opportunity of this nation.... This crosses color barriers.....

If you are an Irish American, then yes your family does know what its like to be discriminated against, and can more readily relate to the "Black experience" in that way...

What I find also very interesting is that you believe there is such a thing as "black music"...

All of these things are cultural and localized.... For example, my father in law can't stand rap, but he is Black... My African American friends who do enjoy rap in NY, can't stand the rap that we listen to here in Atlanta... The Black folks from the east side of Atlanta are NOTHING like the Black folks from the West End, and they are nothing like the folks from Bankhead...

This is part of what I mean about understanding the "Black experience"
edit on 12-6-2011 by HunkaHunka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I suppose Ron Paul needs to pick up a Sax to get the Black vote. (capitalized....)
Play to the expectations of the audience, don't stand on principle.
Race can actually be explored intelligently, but it seems there are those that are vested in racism. I forget the Black artists name, a Jazz musician, whom stated in an interview on PBS that White people don't quite get the "sound" (or something along those lines), that the spaces between the notes are as important as the notes themselves, I felt like this guy was trying to teach, not disparage. He got a free pass on the comment, and that didn't upset me, although I recognized the double standard.
Perhaps it takes an alien from another world to teach us how to handle the race issue, because apparently the view of everybody else is tainted by their own race. At least to the cynics.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
No...not a racist...he just doesnt like freeloading drones living of the taxpayers teat

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
From reading those letters I would personally consider him a racist to some extent. I don't care how people will try to claim he was just talking about welfare and benefits, he wasn't, he was ridiculing black people a lot there too. Things like "Dr." King say it all.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

A human can relate to the suffering of another human. It is called empathy. As a human you can feel the dread, anger, and sadness when thinking/reading/listening to an account of the varying degrees of discrimination. As a human chances are that sometime in your life you have been discrimated against by someone for being different than the guilty party.

I strongly disagree that white people have been trying to be black by any of the things you mentioned. As a human you have the ability to look around you and decide what you like and don't like, this is not something detrmined by the color of your skin or where you were born.

Of course no one is immune to race, but that does not have to be a negative thing or a divisive thing. You can identify a person easily by what they are wearing or their physical location and you can also identify a person by their ethnicity without shame. If someone interprets me wrongly that is their hang up to deal with.

We are american and part of our culture is the fact that we are multi-cultural.

I agree that our history should never be re-written regardless of how ugly parts of it may be. To forget or pretend the ugliness didn't happen is to not acknowledge how far we have come.

I don't see why there has to be an issue with acknowledging two cultures with a hyphenated word or any issue what so ever with how a person or group choose to identify themselves. Why does it bother you if I describe myself as an Irish-American woman, why is that any better or worse than describing myself as simply american? It is your choice to see it as divisive. It is mine to see it as a simple acknowledgement of my heritage.

It's funny to me that while supporting Ron Paul as a non-racist and all about states rights and individual freedoms, you have an issue with an individuals choice in how they identify themselves and with people of one culture identifying with another.

edit on 12-6-2011 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Ron Paul = ethical giant of a man.

What is racism? i assert everyone will at some time in their lives be guilty of what people would define as racism.
Is the person who pokes fun as say a black person the same kind of racist as someone who
is a member of a hate group such as the KKK who harms people through their ignorance?
The same applies for anti semitism.

Is racism digital i.e. are you a fithy ignorant hate infested knuckle dragging scumbag pig of a human being or not?
It seems that in debates people use these terms in a digital sense to put people in boxes.

Limbo

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Limbo

I would disagree that every person will or has been guilty of racism at some point in their lives. I can say with 100% certainty that I never have and will never be. I can only assume that I'm not so unique as to be the only person to have ever lived that hasn't or will never been racist.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Limbo
Ron Paul = ethical giant of a man.

What is racism? i assert everyone will at some time in their lives be guilty of what people would define as racism.
Is the person who pokes fun as say a black person the same kind of racist as someone who
is a member of a hate group such as the KKK who harms people through their ignorance?
The same applies for anti semitism.

Is racism digital i.e. are you a fithy ignorant hate infested knuckle dragging scumbag pig of a human being or not?
It seems that in debates people use these terms in a digital sense to put people in boxes.

Limbo

The word you are looking for is binary... Not digital....

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
He may be racist, but Ron Paul is the only man that can save the United States. If he doesn't become president, it will be a matter of time till the USA will fall to the ground.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Not THIS again.

Why is this always being brought up. It was dealt with in '08!

Oh, I see. The guy has a powerful message and is a threat to the establishment, so let's play the worn-out race card again. Stir up controversy and make him go away.

No wonder our elections always turn out to be nothing more than a dog and pony show.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by GreenFurnNW

But he's NOT racist.

Geez.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
reply to post by Limbo

I would disagree that every person will or has been guilty of racism at some point in their lives. I can say with 100% certainty that I never have and will never be. I can only assume that I'm not so unique as to be the only person to have ever lived that hasn't or will never been racist.

As Kali74 pointed out, there are all sorts of levels of every "ism", some as simple as being fearful of driving through an inner city neighborhood after dark, could in some some circles, be classified as racist. Again, the lady who clutches her purse closer to body, because a black person walks by, could be classified the same. In both of the above examples, their racist actions do not make them bad people, but some level of racism exists. So I agree with Kali, no matter how we live our lives, I am pretty sure that every one has expressed some level of racism in thought or action.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join