It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If we get put back to the stone age how long till we get back?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Hey fellow ATSers,

So with all this talk of doom and gloom and with 2012 practically here Ive been thinking alot about the end of the world.
I personally believe that as a planet and a species we have gone through these types of catastrophes before, I think most of the ancients writing about flood myths, godly retribution and ancient wars are the records of this that have been transformed into myths over how many 1000s of years.

I think that globe spanning cvilizations have been close to destruction several times and only a remnant of a remnant has remained, over time they gradually lost the technology they had and eventually it was forgotten or turned into myth like Atlantis.

But this thread isnt to debate the merits of that theory, want I wanted was peoples ideas on how long it would take starting from scratch with no tools or technology to get from the stone age to where we are today with radio, computers, satelites etc etc.

So elenin has hit or the solar flares have killed every piece of tech on the planet (for this scenario literally EVERY piece of tech with a moving part) its 5 years later and you and a small band of survivors are living a meagre hunter gatherer existence barely surviving and then one day you come across an undamaged hidden library in the wilderness. This library is a god send as it has every piece of knowledge that humans have ever aquired, so you start by setting up a farm so food is no longer an issue.

How long would it take from there with all the right knowledge to start smelting metals, building machines and finally microchips etc

Whats everyone think?

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   
5 yrs for mining, 10 yrs able to manufacure tools, 20 yrs mass production, 30 yrs a booming little town shiping supplies to other small areas. 100 yrs microchip production.

With no special knowledge library 5 to 10 thousand years.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

But this thread isnt to debate the merits of that theory, want I wanted was peoples ideas on how long it would take starting from scratch with no tools or technology to get from the stone age to where we are today with radio, computers, satelites etc etc.
Well, considering we are more mentally evolved than the first cave-men, we could probably do it a lot quicker than the 1st time, skipping many of the primitive development stages. If they save books/data and scientists in underground bunkers we'll have the knowledge to rebuild society basically back to where we are now, but it would depend on the surface conditions of Earth. We could be forced to live underground for a period of time.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   

The way I see it is, at first a lot of people will die, fighting over food, water sources and if you have renewable energy, generators and such those will definitely be fought over! But that all as-side I don't think it will take long at all in my honest opinion. Communities won't take long to form, trade, hell even money will come back eventually (Unfortunate and unavoidable because you know some clever git will want power over masses).

Jamie.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   

I'm not sure that we are really that far removed from the "Stone Age" now than we can give ourselves credit for! But to postulate on your question, I guess the definition of "World Ending" would have to be pretty specific. If the event were to truly be something that anhilated almost every one and every thing, getting back from the stone age would probably take a lot longer than expected. I would think that if a fair amount of humans survived, the only thing on they're minds for a good long time would in fact be survival, based on whatever challenges would arise from the nature of the "event". Food, shelter, security, medical care would be high priorities, and in the abscence of any form of functional governments, the forming of tribal societies would probably become the norm. I would hope that people would look back to the way the world was pre-event and say "hey, you know, we really screwed up on that before, maybe we should find some way to work together to build a more perfect union" and then go and do it! Hopefully, the majority of those that survive would want a society that would be vastly different from the current miasma of politics and religion that is killing so many of us today. Maybe the human race could finally get on with working towards a common good for EVERYONE thats based on certain agreed upon statutes that every person is entitled to, as in the "four freedoms" and above all, pledge to keep it simple and just. Humans have always demonstrated a capacity for adaptation and evolution that makes us different from every other species on the planet. If enough of us were left after the event that could remember what it was like in the "old days" we just might have a chance to alter the stupidity and fear that plague the planetary society now. If that were the case, I don't really care how long it would take to get out of the stone age again as long as we as a species did it with a little more intelligence and compassion than we have in the past! Who knows, we might even get it right this time!

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by MaxNormal

You seem very certain about this.

have you looked into this sort of thing before?

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

hey there,

Not having a go just curious,

What mkes you so sure where more mentally advanced than the first cave men?

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Lets not bother getting things back, things are better off in the stone age. It would be interesting to see whether we would end up with the same technology?

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by CosmosKid

Im sure for awhile it would be peaceful and we would all remember how religion and politics were more harmful than good but if we didnt reform a globe spanning civ again soon we would drift apart and form our own myths and legends and gods etc etc and the whole process would start over

IMHO

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
I think it depends on how traumatized those left initially are. Also I think because of our lifestyles, how much 'dead,' for a better term, food we have been weakened by + the huge amounts of medication many have been exposed to will place a huge toll on us.

As well as all the points above, will we have to survive a nuclear winter or the fast paproach of an ice age which in the past has actually covered the whole world not just come down to the Watford Gap.

Did anyone one watch a tv programme where we put a family from 'today' back into the home and lifestyle of a 1930's house. It was especially difficult for them because our world today depends so much on the supermarket, car, entertainment, instant communications and information.

If there have been caches of books, writing materials etc safely placed we could retain reading and education so not to loose much of our current knowledge. Also if the conditions on the planet were favourable, we could recover relatively quickly, but coming from today's world where we mostly walk concrete and live in cities, without the intimate earth knowledge skills, without energy, a suitcase of clothes, redundant skills, a seed bank somewhere in Norway and especially no shop, I think we are just repeating what I suspect is an earth cycle, which could range from a minimum of 3600 to a cycle we are not aware of yet.

We do know something rudely buzzes our little solar system because it has a uniformity about it which has been broken. Venus spins in the opposite direction to the other planets, we have an astreroid belt instead of a planet between Mars and Jupiter and Uranus spins on its side and earth has, viewed by some a strange moon.

Whether this buzzer or a meteor is the culprit and provides a uniform extinction or whether its generated from our own sun or a calamity such as vulcanic eruption setting off other problems would also affect our recovery rate.

I actually think I would rather be on the surface facing this, because the prospect of not being able to get out and facing being buried alive would be worse. Very old sci fi where a group of scientists decided to live locked below due to some harrowing event. They could not get out and eventually poisoned themselves from the radiation of their artificially created sun.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   

appologies - but i just cannot visualise your senario , specifically how all tools , tech and machines with 2 moving parts have been destroyed

the utter destruction of every peice of electronic component - i can easily imagine

but your senario ??????????????

lastly - did the disaster lobotomise every survivor ? why after just 5 years would they have forgotten everything they knew pre disaster ???

did it destroy every timber year , steel stock holders , workshop , blacksmiths forge , toolbox , building , erc etc

take one of the cornerstones of modern industrial development - the lathe , how is it utterly destroyed ? sure the motor may be reduced to scrap - but ith the components i could find in a small town [ 5000 people ] , given just one day and a horse - i would have an operational horse powered lathe running

why dont your survivors have hammers , knives , axes , chisels , hand drills , bowsaws , ropes , knives , access to domesticated animals , the feild systems of farms , farm buildings workshps

also - supplies of wood , metals , nails , screws , firearms and amunition , petroleum products [ google the nearest fuel oils stockist to you ] etc etc etc

yes - at present - we rely on every powered peice of technology having its own inbuilt electric motor or ICE powerplant - but we know how the victorians powered machines - from a central shaft drive - with one steam engine or locally powered by hourse / donkey [ still used in the developing world for water pumps etc ]

its just my opinion - but you have created an illogical start point

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   

You know what they say. Those who forget they're history are doomed to repeat it! and I think from the way things are going these days, you can take that as fact! I'm pretty sure the vast majority of survivors would have some if not a good deal of knowledge pertaining to the history of mankind and would therefore understand the concept of the human condition having an inherent "global" component. I don't think that we can really compare the current human condition to the concept of "stone age" man. It just doesn't work. I do think that people trying to rebuild a global society would be much more sensitive to the obvious drawbacks that came from basing societies on a "Nationalistic" vice "Global" basis. I think people would be much more open to building a new society that focuses more on the human condition than the "welfare of the state". I think having to focus on preserving the human race instead of the preservation of governments might take more precedence. At least that would be what I would push for.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

*sigh*

yes it was illogical but it was also a hypothetical situation

Consider it a game dude, I dont mean to be rude but if you dont wanna play and only came here to tell me how many holes are in the HYPOTHETICAL situation we should probably leave it there.

On the other hand if you would like to give me your input based on the parameters outlined in the OP I would appreciate it as you sound like you know what your talking about.

Cheers

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by CosmosKid

I agree that would be the case for a generation or so but what if humans were isolated from each other?

You have a few thousand survivors, actually well say a few million survivors spread across each continent with no radio, tv, satelites or any tech to keep in touch with each other.

I think it would only be 20-30 generations at max till our society and civilization was considered a mythical golden age. I think by this time massive differences would have already developed even on the same continent by people who before the catastrophe were identical but had become isolated.

Just my opinion

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   

I don't think that isolation would be too much of a problem. It doesn't take much to build a radio, and I think no matter were you were on the planet you'd try and reach out to find out who was still around. 20-30 generations seems like a plausible figure, but without knowing the extent of the degredation to the inhabitants of the planet, and the nature of the event there is always going to be a large amount of speculation involved. It is an interesting question to ponder though!

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
If we're talking a near mass extinction of humans, I also think we would not see the re-emergence of a lot of technology within our lifetime - it would take several - perhaps our great great great great grandchildren would have the manpower to finally get there.

Its not so much that we have better brains than ancient humans - but even in a mass extinction scenario, a lot of books are out there - the Knowledge we have wouldn't all just vaporize (depending on the actual scenario of course)

I've actually considered in my own mind, that NOTHING we've invented now, didn't exist at some point in our past. Airplanes, skyscrapers, even the internet - existed and were demolished - and the event that destroyed them also destroyed all the blueprints for that society. It would explain how some prophecies seem to describe these things (even the Hopi's "web") - because through word of mouth they knew that once upon a time they existed - and history repeats itself

So I think we would really have to know the details of this event.

In a worse case scenario, if the whole planet burns up, all our books are lost, along with most of humanity, it'll take that much longer, hundreds (even thousands) of years is not unlikely.

In the best case scenario, if something came along that destroyed all of our technology but didn't kill a single a human - we could *possibly* log on to check our emails within a generation.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

It depends who survives and what they wanted to do.

If people that new how to farm survived thats good for the survival of the human species but bad for technology as most people have no idea how electricty works or how to use it.
Maybe 3000 years

If the people that new how technology works but didn't know to survive they would work so hard to survive that the technology would be lost in one generation.
5000 years

If both groups were to survive than I think it could be within 1000 years but not less than 200 years.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
i dont want to think of being knocked back that far i need my computer to much and the net but if we were to have been knocked back with the way that humans are these days it would take a minimum of 3 years

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
The answer to this one is so simple. Today we see natural resource taken out of the gound by way of heavy engineering. However up until a few hundred years ago all these natural resources were sitting on or just below the surface and for tens of thousands of years humans had been using them in one form or another such as stone age, flint, bronze age, iron age,oil, coal seems etc. If we for some reason went back to the stone age we would NEVER again move beyond the stone age simply because we would NEVER again be able to reach the natural resources needed to be able to advance. They're now just to deep to get at without that heavy engineering.

keeping in mind that a few hundred years ago you could pick up in your hand a chunk of iron pyrite. Now you have to blow up millions of tonnes of rock to get hundeds of tonnes of iron ore. You couldn't bash flint and a chunk of iron pyrite together to make a spark like hunter gatherer Europeans did because you can't get to the flint and iron pyrite anymore. If we had to start from the stone age we could NEVER again build the machines to mine the stuff, You can't build the machines until you mine the materials and you can't mine the materials if you can't build the machines.

Remember that industrial mining started on a small scale and built up over the last few hundred years but now because it's so rare and so deep in the ground you'd need it on a big scale to start but you can't because you're stone age and this time around it's not sitting at the surface like it was last time. The stuff is so rare and so deep in the ground it's out of reach for anything but heavy machinery which you don't have because you're stone age.

The Earth will replace it but it takes millions of years and we won't be around that long, well not in our present form of human anyway.

Our ancesters had it sitting at the surface, we don't. We will be stone age forever more!
edit on 11-8-2011 by steveknows because: (I know where we've been and I know where we're going.)[/steveknows]
edit on 11-8-2011 by steveknows because: Thought of more.
extra DIV

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by steveknows

sure we could
cause someday, our remains, in multimillions of years...

We'll be oil!!
Will be oil?

how to word
oh just break it up

"We will be oil!!!"
edit on 11-8-2011 by Forevever because: poor wording - and I failed to really correct it - so sad....BUT YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN

<<   2 >>

join