It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking at taking a moped on a trip from california to nevada.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Hey ATS members. I'm sure most of you are familiar of the famous black mail box near highway 95 out side of area 51. I want to take a Laser 5 49cc moped up there from the coast of northern California. I'll need plenty of supplies to under take this journey. So I'm going to need advice on what I need to bring to make it a successful trip and survive.
This is the Laser 5 moped i plan on using for the trip.
edit on 11-6-2011 by paranormal78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by paranormal78

i ride a vw trike pull a small trailer my advice on such a small bike is bring money..no joke enough for motel an you cant expect that bike to pull a load and stay dependable..two gas cans ( 2 gal each) mounted like saddle bags.mabe one extra change of cloths( laundrymat) you cant make the speed so map to stay off freeways as much as possible..make sure the bike is well maintained.(new tires ect) carry supplys water ect in a backpack.your cloths in a bag on passenger seat..make a few weekend trips po really figur how it will work for you..luck

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
You won't make it over the mountains my friend not with all the supplies you will need.

I don't see pedals on that scoot and it does not have enough horsepower to take you and your supplies over those grades between where you are and where you want to go.

All modes of transportation have certain uses and limitations.

But you can always try,now can't you.

Those two idiots in "Dumb and dumber" rode a mini-bike all the way to Colorado.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   

A TOWEL!

Money, you are looking at breakdowns and alot of aches and pains that will stop you often. I would advise renting a Harley Electra Glide or similar bike. Storage, and comfort for the long trip.

If you really want to do it on the moped, lots of money for hotels and repairs. Try getting triple a or some great insurance to call on the road for help.

Bring 3 sets of clothes light, heavy, and a outer waterproof set. Helmet, gloves, sunglasses, camelpak for water while riding, thick tough jacket, jeans, riding boots and reg shoes, or 2 set of reg shoes, instant pocket warmers(cold at night and morning), Trail mix, jet alert double strength caffine pills, jerky, meal replacement bars, emergency blanket,cell phone, back up cell phone or calling card,maps, compass, watch, water, thick and thin socks, condoms(multiuse),Tool kit, multi tool,toliet paper, plastic bags(small),emergency med kit, led flashlight, mini binioculars, candy, underwear, toothbrush and paste, TOWEL, tweezers, extra gas, oil if used, brake fluid if used, spare light bulb wouldnt hurt, camera, creditcard, and stuff it all in a surplus seabag at your local military surlus store. I am assuming you will be eating in restaurants and sleeping in hotels. If not add a sleeping bag,small tent,hammock, tarp, ropes, Mre's, kettle,waterproof matches, magnesium fire starter, money for campsites and firewood. Im sure I am missing one or two hundred things, if I think of any I will be back.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Your quest will be for naught. The black mailbox, is now white...and is not the original. The black mailbox was sold at auction for $1000 in 1996. You could go visit the white mailbox though.

www.dreamlandresort.com...

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   
The responses are funny as hell so far hehehe

But on a half serious note I think you should do it, if nothing else but for the adventure.

There gonna see you coming from miles away LOL

Be sure to report back here when you complete the trip..........no seriously R-E-S-P-E-C-T

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by IamJustanAmerican

Well this moped does have pedal assist in case I run out of gas or the battery dies. so if anything does happen I can pedal it to a moped shop on my way. I admit it will be a long trip doing 30 mph. might take up to 1 to 2 days. mabe more. But I'll be willing to take on the challenge once i get all the equipment and the supplies. I was looking at a cargo trailer built for motorcycles. but I might need to mod it to fit my moped.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
after ww2 my two uncles did it thats before hiways and interstates illegal for a moped

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Your moped will not make it.

High heat of Nevada plus long runs will burn a hole in the piston.

Out here in the Calif desert we don't use any bike under 100 cc for travel in the summer as piston burn through gets them all the time.

Short trips or driving around town is OK but any thing over 30 miles at a time gets a lot of them.

They just can't shed the heat in the cylinder and they are so underpowered that they build a LOT of HEAT

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

What if i can fabricate a heat shield for the engine? Sounds far fetched from what you say happens to the engine. Or I can design a custom cooling system for that size of an engine. Problem is I dont know for sure how long a custom cooling system for a 50cc engine will last in the long run.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   
people have ridden lawn tractors from alaska to maine it can be done.....slowly,,,,very slowly

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
Your moped will not make it.

High heat of Nevada plus long runs will burn a hole in the piston.

Out here in the Calif desert we don't use any bike under 100 cc for travel in the summer as piston burn through gets them all the time.

Short trips or driving around town is OK but any thing over 30 miles at a time gets a lot of them.

They just can't shed the heat in the cylinder and they are so underpowered that they build a LOT of HEAT

I had not thought of this one .
Small engine heavy load =lots of heat
only possibility ..with that in mind is bare bones traveling.carry everything in a credit card
The law may give you some problems (even traveling on the shoulder ) as your little bike cant make the speed it becomes a safety hazard .

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by spectre72
people have ridden lawn tractors from alaska to maine it can be done.....slowly,,,,very slowly

Lawn tractors have a different means of cooling..they have a fan on the flywheel that cools and operates a govenour as well

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
first of all..

you will die of heat stroke this time of year..

I lived in Las Vegas for 12 years and that is a fact..

you will never make it on a moped...

no matter what you think...

if you attempt this..

we will reading a headline that says..

""""Crazy man from ATS attempts desert crossing on moped,eaten by vultures on side of road""""

just trying to help....

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Well from what everyone says in these replies, it looks like I might need to rent a motorcycle. I Might go with this one
Its pretty new so it should be available to rent.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by paranormal78
Well from what everyone says in these replies, it looks like I might need to rent a motorcycle. I Might go with this one
Its pretty new so it should be available to rent.

Yup, a nice motocyle would be necessary. Say this one like this Razor 15165070 MX650 Dirt Rocket . Cool for travel.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by majortackle

Razor 15165070 MX650 Dirt Rocket Cute toy. Would make a good gift for a 5 year old
But seriously I dont touch anything with two wheels that does less than 25 or 30 M.P.H. unless its a "motorless bicycle" than I wouldn't mind if its cool enough.

top topics

join