It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RED Negative Flags, a possibility? Open to other ideas.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
I think it's a good idea..or like stars with negative signs on them. Because when I see one of my posts does not have any stars...I wonder how many negative stars it could mean.

link   
reply to post by TheArchaeologist

However since I am new here, or because I am not allowed to question anyones dreams or ideals, I am not to say anything?

I am challenging you to do the exact opposite.

In your paleontologists example you make it sound like you'd be run off the site for presenting evidence against a post. From my experience here the exact opposite is true. Look for the scientists we have on this site there are many. I am actually not allowed to call out or name users so I won't give a list but I can give hints.

We have experts on meteorology, space, photography, science, philosophy.....the list just goes on... Sure some people hate them for presenting facts, but they do it anyway. Their words against posts thought to be wrong have helped lend a serious credence to this site.

If our experts. debunkers, skeptics, or just plain disagreers took your approach the content on this site would plummet.

link   

Originally posted by indigothefish

can you imagine if the members coming here to this thread and giving you legitimate responses and reasons for not desiring a red star system, instead of doing that just came and gave you a red star with no explanation at all?

is that the ATS you want? not me, member since 2006.
edit on 6/11/2011 by indigothefish because: (no reason given)

Yes, that would suck, for lack of a better word. However I see threads such as this all the time that don't seem to make much sense, but are given 100's of stars, because friends band together in solidarity.

Let me explain.... If each member recieved say, 5 stars, they would think long and hard before using them. If they didn't they would look rather silly. Do you understand whay I am trying to say?

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
No...no limit....
Just negative stars, and no penalizing if someone gets a lot of negative stars either. It could just be their opinion, but at least they would know how popular on unpopular it would be. In fact I remember we had a 1-5 star rating system on here...which was okay, but I prefer the idea of negative vs positive stars.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Its just that I see unsubstantiated claims in the vast majority of the threads.

I understand completely there are things that, at this time, cannot be proven. And I enjoy that, as I think we all do.

It's just to see people making statements, that lead others to think those statements are fact, it pains me because I hate to see disinformation. There are professionals here, I am sure, but I think the sheer number of posts make it impossible to answer every question, so that the users get the correct information rather than someones opinion on what their grandfather saw in the backyard so it must be true.

Again, just offering a suggestion. I appreciate everyones time.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by backinblack

Why bother being able to negatively rate something you haven't read? I will agree that some OP's aren't worth reading, however the subsequent discussion sometimes is.
Besides you could manipulate the system with forum gangs running around negative flagging opinion pieces they disagreed with. I would welcome changes to the system, but not those that allow use to effectively create a section of the website that is essentially useless.
~Keeper

Reading that properly, then why do we have stars and flags??
Surely just reading the thread is enough and "any" system, negative or positive, is open to the same abuses you mention..

Anyways, it's just my opinion and I'm far from being always right..

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   

if you acknowledge that the positive star system is already being abused ( which really is speculation on your part ) do you also agree that a negative star system would be abused just the same?

anyways, stay at ATS for a year and see if you still feel the same friend you will see why us 'older members' hold true to never having a negative star system, it's not about stars or flags, it's all about discussion.

peace
indigo

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
This has NEVER been brought up before OP.

Not one time...Nope, not even once.

edit on 11-6-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by indigothefish

if you acknowledge that the positive star system is already being abused ( which really is speculation on your part ) do you also agree that a negative star system would be abused just the same?

I don't think you read my posts clearly

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheArchaeologist
Hello, first thank you for your time.

I am curious is there is a way to voice displeasure with someones post, without replying and entering in, what will surely be a war of words.

It is often a negative road that the OP goes down, using arguments that they and ONLY they feel is correct. Let me be clear I am not talking about giving red flags to those you disagree with.

Would it be possible to have something like "red flags" so that those who disagree can do so by giving a red flag, which would serve two purposes, lack of all out battles in many cases, and also so that others can easily read some of the silly statements, and simply RED flag it, and move on. Red flags would alert others as well.

Additionally red stars could be used.

Red flags would negate the users blue flags earned. Red flags would be recorded and perhaps placed in the users profile.

I would not take away from discussion at all.

Thank you for listening!

TA

What you are proposing is only way for making this crappy site more serious;
many egos would be shattered - as a result population of cheap-stars makers would decrease c.a. 2/3.
FAST.

And this is why this will never happen.
ATS is just industry, with few persons that care about real data.
Site became i-pad era time-waster, nothing more.

Sorry for being honest, but this is how i see it.
Btw, i am not US citizen, so i have free will to say what i am thinking.
edit on 11-6-2011 by potential_problem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I would love if there were a way we could indicate, via flagging, whether or not a thread's content matches up with the title. I can't see how, with the increase of postings on this site, anyone could keep up with the massive amount of posts, and I feel that I end up missing really good posts because I only have so much time to read ATS.

So, because the most popular threads are the ones often most seen, I end up having to waste most of my time skimming through the threads that are popular due to hilarity value only, which is frustrating.

For example, if we could use a flag to identify posts that simply don't do what the thread title suggests, then I would know to skip those threads on days when I don't have time to look at many threads.

I understand it seems simple to just skip any threads that state "I'm a member of XXX organization, ask me a question", or any of the threads that claim total proof and to be full of facts, but honestly, I am here because I am open to the idea that threads like that might, on a long-shot, contain some truth, which would be truth I couldn't find anywhere else. So, when I see a thread with an interesting title, and 50 flags, I check it out. If, however ,there was a way for others to warn us that the thread doesn't live up to its title, then I would really appreciate it.

It doesn't have to be a harsh or mean flag, but just something like a 'dubious' button. A lot of 'dubious' flags and a lot of popularity flags would let me know it is a fun thread, that I might want to read when I have some time. Or, if I don't have time, I could skip it for another day.

I'm sure there is a good way to implement this type of thing, and I bet it would be a really valuable tool.
edit on 11-6-2011 by AlphaBetaGammaX because: removed some silly quotation marks.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

I am a Rotarian, and really appreciate applying the 4 Way Test to things like this:

1. Is it the truth?
2. Is it fair to all concerned?
3. Will it build good will and better friendships?
4. Will it be beneficial to all concerned?

The "red flag" idea has been batted around here for years. A search will show you the results of the discussion.

But my thoughts are that it fails the 4 Way Test, and it therefore not a good thing.

1. Truth is relative, so not applicable here.
2. No it is not fair to all concerned, as the "forum gangs" would red flag everything that their "rival" gangs posted.
3. Absolutely will not build good will and better friendships. It would, instead, fuel the conspiracy minded members into a total frenzy. "Who is red flagging everything that Slayer posts???22?" is inevitable.
4. Absolutely not beneficial, for the reasons listed above.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

I am a Rotarian, and really appreciate applying the 4 Way Test to things like this:

1. Is it the truth?
2. Is it fair to all concerned?
3. Will it build good will and better friendships?
4. Will it be beneficial to all concerned?

Could you tell me at what conditions pt.3 and pt.4 is more important than pt.1?
I think you know...so...

Will it be beneficial to all concerned?

You mean who? ATS staff(we are SO popular, site stats are rising)?

upd: ahh, now i understand, you are into politics...everything's clear now.

edit on 11-6-2011 by potential_problem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by potential_problem

Truth is always the most important thing. A "red flag" is a potrayal of a relative truth, as seen through the eyes and perceptions of an individual. Its entire connotation is negative. It causes hurt feelings, and can amount to nothing more than an outlet for online bullying.

Politics or not....what good does it serve? The system is set for there to be either positive feedback (flags/stars), or none at all (which causes threads to sink out of site). To what end does a negative feedback serve other than to satisfy a human obsession with symmetrical systems?
edit on 11-6-2011 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Seiko

Good points and well-expressed.

At least half of my 'sharp friends' list would be battered by 'red flags' and 'negative stars' from members who haven't the courage or knowledge to post informed rebuttals.

I think anyone who supports the idea is deeply lacking in substance.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I have been hanging around ATS for a while now. I like the system the way it is. Negative flags/stars serve no purpose other than to dissuade actual discussion of topics. If you disagree with a persons' view you are free to post your feelings. Most of us are adults here, we can decide what is and what is not disinformation. We may even be able to tell which posters are posting disinformation. There are many OP's I disagree with, I post my opinion and read the thread if it interest me. Someone may disagree with my opinion and post saying as much, voila, discussion.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

My two cents. I agree that red stars and flags is a bad idea when trying to promote opinions on topics. I have seen many comments from what appear to be arrogant people who think their opinion is the only one that counts. In the wrong hands, red flags and stars could wrongly mark a topic as bad out of ignorance and discourage others who might actually be interested in the topic from going to the thread. I don't like Harleys, but I certainly don't know enough about them to discourage others from riding them. Same goes here. No one knows everything about everything even if they think so.
I like things the way they are. Just my opinion, Again Thanks

top topics

<< 1   >>

join