It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Defense Department Robert Gates Questions NATO's Future

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Niall197

Originally posted by Paulioetc15

Simple: We rather use our soldiers as national defense to look out for our country and keep eyes on watch to other countries who were threatening us and go back to it's isolationism where we supposed to be. End war on drugs, We all agree that we should pull out military bases but the leaders of both sides are are so stuck up.

I think no matter what we do, we still get hated. That's why our troops should be home now. We had done enough. We should get back to the days of George Washington Isolationist policy

Isolationism is all very laudable, but the trade off would be a reduction in the size of the US armed forces, wouldn't it ? What need would an isolationist US have for a blue water navy, Abrams battle tanks or B52 bombers ?

well to be honest slight even when we went Isolationism, we cannot ignored the world's problem even though the Cold war was over But let it up to someone else instead.

And Most B-52 bombers and Abrams Tanks were developed in order to advance technological development, defense or not. The same way when Britain had Challenger tanks.
edit on 11-6-2011 by Paulioetc15 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Paulioetc15

I'm struggling with your definition of "isolationism". I took you to mean that your nation would avoid foreign entanglements at all costs, that you'd quit alliances, cancel defence pacts/treaties. And that you'd only use military force when your own borders were violated. A bit like a massively indebted version of Switzerland ?

I doubt an isolationist UK would've developed the Challenger tank. It'd probably concentrate on it's navy to protect trade routes & an airforce to protect it's airspace. I doubt it'd need a battle tank or much of a standing army at all.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Niall197

Guess so.
edit on 11-6-2011 by Paulioetc15 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Its only because America needs the Dollar to remain the reserve currency for oil that we are in these god damn wars.

Disgusting Useless bunch of losers.

Governed by complete morons.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I got an idea
Why doesn't the USA just stop invading countries and breaking the Geneva Convention and stop bombing milk factories and saying oh sorry that was a mistake and didn't mean to use those million dollar missiles without actually having a large death toll.
With all these millions of dollars spent of destruction and death how many of the actual people that should be held accountable and die really are taken out and how many innocent men, women, and CHILDREN are killed every day or just sit back in the USA and drink your booze and eat your food and have your shelter and iphone and large screen tv and say "oh well they are casualties of war and to hell with them because they are not worthy to live"
Who made the USA and the American people that back weapons of destruction and war and killing the right to say who lives and who dies?
That bull crap about being attacked on our shores so we need to destroy anyone that we THINK is a threat is just an excuse for domination and control of others lives.
Put yourself in some else shoes and maybe China should attack the USA because of the evil and killing the USA perpetuates and then all will cry innocents are being senselessly killed.
Those that abdicate more weapons and more powerful ones are just hiding their own shortcomings between their legs.
For those that feel so strong about the war and believe it's right and these people should die then have some balls and put your money where your mouth is and go face the so called enemy face to face rather then sipping coffee and watching tv.
It's easy to sit back and sacrifice nothing and send everyone else to die and say oh well that's the way it is and should be.
Hey my neighbor seems like a threat and i don't trust him and he has a different belief system and always disagrees with me so i have a right to invade his home and kill his family just in case, cause you never know he might attack me first one day, after all they are casualties of self preservation so it's ok.
The whole *snip* world has gone mad with the taste of blood and like any animal once the taste of blood is there it's more and more.
World peace will never reign so long as man is breathing and on this planet or anywhere in the universe.

Mod Note: Please do not circumvent the profanity censors. Thank you.
edit on 6/11/2011 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by lastidealist

Why doesn't the world step itself and do their own thing instead of relying us to have their military bases in their country?

When we go in while other countries # back we get the criticize every-time we do. Now it's time for the EU to get their own and man up.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   

But that's just it we wouldn't need to man up and replace your defence dollars and servicemen because WE don't want to do the same things the US does, we don't want to surround Russia with a necklace of military bases, we don't want aggressively placed anti return strike anti missile sites, we don't want to determine who the Arabs sell THEIR oil to and for what currency, I'm happy to see Taiwan return to China nor do I want to pressure the Chinese in the Korean peninsular and I could care less what goes on in the Caspian basin, Iran or Afghanistan.

The US could become a great place if the people woke up and stopped letting the elite use them for wargames and other high jinx, I'm on your side, you the people!
edit on 11-6-2011 by Thepreye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thepreye

But that's just it we wouldn't need to man up and replace your defence dollars and servicemen because WE don't want to do the same things the US does, we don't want to surround Russia with a necklace of military bases, we don't want aggressively placed anti return strike anti missile sites, we don't want to determine who the Arabs sell THEIR oil to and for what currency, I'm happy to see Taiwan return to China nor do I want to pressure the Chinese in the Korean peninsular and I could care less what goes on in the Caspian basin, Iran or Afghanistan.

The US could become a great place if the people woke up and stopped letting the elite use them for wargames and other high jinx, I'm on your side, you the people!
edit on 11-6-2011 by Thepreye because: (no reason given)

I agree with you. Let the US pull out and let the world do their own thing. Then America could be prosper again rather than having Europe spending their welfare than leeching our our defense budget. In fact, we should do that.. Hate america being a leader then let's see you shows us how it's done.
edit on 12-6-2011 by Paulioetc15 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-6-2011 by Paulioetc15 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Why don't some NATO countries pull their weight?

Probably because these current "NATO" missions have nothing whatsoever to do with defensive measures. NATO is supposed to operate as a military alliance where if a member of the alliance gets attacked, then fellow member states have to mutually support them in defense.

Bombing Libya, drone strikes in Yemen and Pakistan, invasion of Afghanistan and Iraq, all have nothing to do with defense. Even if you want to play the 9/11 card, even through the official story, the terrorists originated from Saudi Arabia.

Point is that current NATO missions are a joke, just like the entire concept of NATO in a post-USSR world.

The countries not contributing to the NATO missions, like how Germany pulled out of Libyan ops from the start, are the smart ones. Russia and China aren't stupid either. Why did they support the Libyan resolution at the UN? Probably just to see what countries would be willing to involve themselves in such an obvious imperialist war.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Paulioetc15
I'm on your side, you the people!.

Hate america

As long as you remember that I don't hate the USA or more importantly its people and nothing I say against your elite is personal to any cit on the board, I hate my own English ( Norman) elite much more, after all it's me and mine they screw to get their elite status.

It's super hard to get ones head out of the patriotic conditioning one grows up with but the only things a person should feel proud of about their country is how well the population lives and how much it helps the people of other countries to improve themselves and overcome difficulties.

A hyper strong military, especially in a nation that is rendered unassailable by geography just means the population is overtaxed and indebted for the glorification of some rich scumbags, in your case it's often not even citizens of the USA who get the cash or security benefit off your "defence" budget.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join