It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wind Farms kill birds and bats.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Why don't they just shut the turbines down during the few weeks of peak migration and probably cut raptor mortality by 80%?

As for the bats we need another solution, netting behind the blades perhaps?

There is no perfect solution to our energy problems.

Good conservation practices could go a long ways.

I don't get why nobody has flagged this....

edit on 11-6-2011 by Asktheanimals because: added comments

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Even though there will probably be some black lash due to the Fukushima event...Nuclear is still the best trade-off. Wind farms are expensive and they don't produce nearly enough.
I think Solar energy is where it's at....It's all about perfecting the technology. It will take time, but I think this is where it's going. We have many wind farms around the area I live in and they're just atrocious things...They are affecting the raptor population and that is only going to lead to more pests.
The quick energy solution would be nuclear, the next best option would be solar.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
It seems to me that people don't value wildlife the way they used to.

People seem aweful callous about how many birds are killed by windfarms, seeing it as the cost of doing business. They pull out these stats that show that birds are killed off much more often by cars, power lines, windows and high rise buildings. I wonder who went around and counted all those dead birds? The whole idea that we have a count somewhere of the number of birds killed by all of these things seems pretty shaky to me. I wouldn't be surprised if that study wasn't funded by the wind farmers. (Hey, every study that defends big oil gets the same accusations so turnabout is fair play
)

The stats from the wind farms come from the actual number of bodies found under the wind turbines by clean-up crews and many think the numbers are understated because of predators carrying off the bodies before the clean-up crews arrive. The numbers are also small because the number of wind farms is still relatively small here in the US. As the number of wind farms goes up, you can be sure the number of dead birds will go up as well.

Another thing to consider; wind farms are built in areas that have strong and consistant winds blowing through the area. Migrating birds will select their route based upon which route will cause them to use the least amount of energy to fly the long distances necessary. An area with strong and consistant winds will obviously allow them to consume less energy during their long migrations. The areas that make for a suitable habitat for wind farms will also make for an extremely attractive migration route for birds. It is inevitable that the two will collide and we know who will be the winner in this contest.

Some think finding ways to drive the birds away from the turbines will be a sufficient fix but, this will alter the bird's migratory path and will force them to use more energy in their flight and may cause some birds to become disoriented and loose their way.

People call windfarms sustainable energy because we cannot use up the wind that supplies the energy for the farms but, if they start causing massive die offs in migratory birds, those resources will be much harder to replenish and it may leave our world with a much greater ecological disaster than the one the environmentalists were trying to avoid.

<< 1   >>

join