It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Iraq Government Orders Al-Jazeera Offices in Baghdad Closed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Al-Jazeera news network has been ordered to close it's Baghdad office for one month. The order comes from the Iraqi interim government in an attempt to discourage kidnappings.

Iraq Shuts Al-Jazeera Baghdad Office for a Month

Interior Minister Falah al-Naqib said this week that Arabic satellite channels were encouraging kidnappings by showing images of hostages threatened with executions

The official said Prime Minister Iyad Allawi would announce the decision at a news conference shortly.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Anything that could be seen as promoting or encouraging kidnappings or attacks should be stopped. Al-Jazeera is based out of Qatar and has grown an audience of millions of Arabs in the middle east region.

But is it a wise decision to close the office for one month?

[edit on 8-7-2004 by Valhall]

[edit on 8-10-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Democracy in action................................

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Democracy in action................................

Bush must be going green of envy with this

He would just love to shut down media in the US
(except the ones that print and air what he tells them to though )

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Well, here we go. Now I suppose we will debate that the right to free speech supercedes all other concerns. (But I do hope I'm wrong.)

Aside from the fact that I am wondering how effective this will be (if it's satellite based, surely shutting down one physical location can't put a stop to the dissemination of their information). Of course they can just move their mission directly to the internet.

However, I do hope that enough people can see beyond their own fear of loss of freedoms in this case and recognize that the irresponsible actions of this particular source of media has added a large part to the encouragement of the terrorists to continue in their attempts to manipulate the level of fear to the rest of the world. They have had direct access to the media through this channel and it is irresponsible at best.

I wonder how much less effective would all these kidnappings and killings be if the media refused to accept the terrorist submissions. Allowing them coverage encourages more as far as I'm concerned.

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Why do some Middle Easterns hates us? Because we hate their freedom. This is just another example of our hypocrisy. We don't care if your a murdering dictator, as along as you agree with us. We don't care what you say, as long as you agree with us. Reminds me of those futuristic movies, where the government removes anything they deem 'upsetting'.

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Bush must be going green of envy with this

eh, who do you think probably ordered the closing?

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 08:58 AM
link   
This not fair I know Al-Jazeera is bias and sensationalist, but they are the ones that can show what its really happening in Iraq.

I don't thing it has to do with kidnapping but more for the negative pictures of the problems in Iraq that is making US administration not very pretty in the mess that is now that country.

After all the (Iraqi government) is not really, the (Iraqi) democratically elected one is an American backed government.

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Al-Jazeera has been criticzed for for airing videos of Iraq hostages and to be an outlet for the al-Qaida terror network .

But this decision runs contrary to freedom of expression and freedom of the press.

Unlike Arab state-run media, Al-Jazeera often airs views of local opposition figures and their criticisms of their countries' rulers.

AP:

Iraqi Interior Minister Falah al-Naqib said the closure was intended to give the station "a chance to readjust their policy against Iraq."

[Al-Jazeera's Ballout]... said the closure inhibits the "right of the Arab people around the world to see a comprehensive picture about what's going on in an important region like Iraq."

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Relentless

I wonder how much less effective would all these kidnappings and killings be if the media refused to accept the terrorist submissions. Allowing them coverage encourages more as far as I'm concerned.

If you censor these people, all you are doing is giving them more ammunition. Now that Al-Jazeera has been shut down the terrorists can argue that they are winning the arguments so effectively that the occupiers are afraid to let them air their views.

There is no justification for this course of action. It is counter productive and only proves to anyone who is watching that the resistances tactics are working. A propaganda coup for them again methinks....

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Some of you yell that this is a violation of freedom of speech but this tv outlet is not your regular CNN news. THese people encourage the overthrow of the iraqi interm governmnet. Yes they might not do it overtly but there hints are more then subtle. Remember these are the people that have their news vans in the exact place where a big ambush will take place and its all by "coincidence". Right! These are the same people who would be on the street tryin to kill americans and iraqis.

THe arab world says this limits their view of the real fighting in iraq???? WTF?? Al-Jazeera is one of the most bias news stations out there. ITs not the whole story the muslim world is gettin they are gettin what Al=Jazeera wants them to see and they think how Al-Jazeera wants them to think.

One more thing they are a foriegn news agency in another country. Its like the bbc comming into america. They really dont have teh same rights as domestic news agencies.

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
This not fair I know Al-Jazeera is bias and sensationalist, but they are the ones that can show what its really happening in Iraq.

How can they be bias and sensationalist and yet still provide a real clear view of what is really happening in iraq. Sounds like a contradiction.

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 11:21 AM
link   
But why doesn�t Iraq's interim government respond by presenting their side of the story and getting out its own message on Al- Jazeera instead of trying to censor the channel?

Also, Al Jazeera could be U.S. medium to reach millions in the Arab world, a region where anti-American sentiment runs strong.

Rebekka

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Quicksilver
Its like the bbc comming into america. They really dont have teh same rights as domestic news agencies.

Which rights are you referring to?
Today's global awareness requires international news from all corners.

Al-Jazeera are independant, many staff are originally from the BBC World Service.

It is ironic that the 'new' 'democratic' Iraq would shut out the most credible and lively source of news in the region.

Anyone who thinks Al-Jazeera as the enemy has not researched the history of the network.

The BBC recently signed a newsgathering exchange agreement with Al-Jazeera:

www.bbc.co.uk...

Now that's an endorsment.

Also, the Al-Jazeera editor in chief, Mr Helal, has moved to a new position within the BBC Worldservice Trust.

news.bbc.co.uk...

It's not the first time Al-Jazeera have been banned from reporting on Iraq:

news.bbc.co.uk...

See no evil, Hear no evil, Speak no evil and remain ignorant of the facts.

[edit on 7-8-2004 by shanti23]

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I think if it was an american run media it would have been pulled off primetime for showing the video of the beheadings, wouldn't it? I mean, extreme graphic violence, wouldn't this qualify for at least an "R' rating?

we'd censor it here too, I think.

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 01:14 PM
link   
A lot of people are too quick to make judgements on the Iraqi government...

They've shut this down for one month. To me that shows this is an experiment. They're trying to see if it helps the situation.

This country is fighting for its surviva. They have to judge what is most important.

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Quicksilver,

Why very simple very even when they are bias the are going to show what the American news media are not, the civilian casualties as a show of how the US invasion is doing over there and they will show how Americans has been kill over there to show how the opposition is fighting the occupations.

So even if they lean to the other side they will show what others can not.

CNN and Fox and others are not allowed to go around the country and if something happened in the secured areas they are most of it is (to sensitive to the American public to show) while ALjazeera care less.
n not.

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   
It was the second such ban imposed by the Governing Council on the station.

The network has often been criticized for its coverage of the war.

Last month, Al Jazeera, accused by the United States of graphic and anti-American coverage, unveiled a code of ethics it said would ensure balanced reporting.

df1

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 02:00 PM
link   
It appears to me that the violence in Iraq was started by shutting down al-Sadr's newspaper.

Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it. -- George Santayana

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I was just rembering that the newspaper shut down and does anybody remeber when during the first attacks on Iraq US target their main news media towers?

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by df1

Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it. -- George Santayana

...and The End of History Means the End of Freedom ---Harry V. Jaffa

top topics

<<   2 >>

join