It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stars Flags & Kharma Oh My! Scrubbing My Brain Clean:D

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
reply to post by Poker

Ok I'll bite where are these facts you speak of?

What's to bite?

The FACTS are in the threads..
Who and what topics are supported by members..
Your stating it's sheeple supporting the members that support the status qua and TPTB..
I'm saying it's not and I believe the threads support that..

It's your thread and yet you seem lost as to what you are saying..
show me the facts don't just say they're in this thread and yeah I'm lost. So, so lost.

I'm stating that they can be rigging the system in order to mislead others into bull#
"They" being those in charge of the site. Others being the average user whose mind hasn't been made up yet.

As for 'facts' if you're referring to you the statements by you and a few others about how you use the system. Just think about how many registered users come to this site daily. The handful of people on this thread regardless whether they agree with you or me is hardly a measurement of how the mass of the average user out there utilize the system.

The average user who looks only skin deep when seeing all those pretty stars and flags and the shiny borders. Would probably think hey this poster knows what they're talking about, no matter how full of # the actually are IMO.

Now if the average user thinks like that and the admin have the power to manipulate threads. Then they'd be able to easily mislead and manipulate people. That's what I'm purposing.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
I don't need to agree with something to star it. I use my stars and flags for all kinds of reasons. I think and hope people spending any length of time reading on this site would know not to take the S&F's too seriously.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Poker
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

I do try to use them for measuring my development toward effectiveness...

No offense but you're the exact type of mindset I'm talking about. All the stars and flags do is show how much you think like other people.

When you state something that other people believe, like or feel is true they star and flag you. that is hardly a measure of effectiveness. It's more a measure of compliance.

Overall I like the points systems here, they can offer incentive and benchmarks for improvement.

all the point system does is measure your standing in the status quo. The more you go along with the powers in charge the more stars you get. The more you perpetuate the ideals of those in charge the more flags  you receive.

All top score means is that you're the thoughtless zombie they want you to be. Perpetuating their beliefs and mythos will no doubt give you a lot of points at the cost of the truth?

Stay compliant and I'm sure you'll have no doubts fitting in right where they want you to.

I don't exactly follow the party line so that last point is a little doubtful. If the ATS PTB would like my willful compliance to go along and even enjoy their point system, so be it. Correct then.

What it boils down to is a virtual popularity contest. Usually the most mundane and least provocative choice will win a popularity contest. The most generic and more accessible will be chosen by a bigger group.

Since running my own discussion blogs are my interests beyond ATS then, yes, popularity is something I am looking to achieve in them, that is the type of "effectiveness" I am going after. My blogs are not in "conspiracy" and rarely can I rewrite articles to place in the other but it does happen. I would include ATS as an example of a successful web board. My stuff is not even intended to achieve their level of popularity but there are lessons to be learned here that can be applied to my own sites.

Besides you don't even know if those behind this site can actually rig the system. Which I have no doubts that they have the capabilities, whether they have the intent is left for others to decide. I've made up my mind.

I know the mods here can award multiple stars, within limitations, so it is true they can "rig" or tip the system a tad. I consider that reasonable and of value to have that capability. I also know that my admin controls allow me to do a number of things and privvy to certain stats and information the general membership cannot do or access, and I can give my mods different abilities also. I certainly expect ATS can do the all that and much more than my "off the shelf" web boards.

I certainly expect some of the alphabet agencies take an interest in some individuals here at times and perhaps even "get to know" most all of us. Fine, I expect that, hope I can give them an earful occasionally. Quite likely some have access to stats on the members that the members do not. Fine too, the government has been watching me since shortly after I started school. I had a very nice and rewarding government career from which I am retired now. they are probably still watching me. Great! But I'm not going back to work. I am quite happily retired.

Some may argue this but depending how one defines it, we all "troll" a bit, try to elicit particular responses or pursuade others. You have your agenda with this thread and that's fine, it has been interesting. but I'm not sure where your trolling for effect leaves-off and your belief in what you are saying digs in. If you are really as stuck on the beliefs you are espousing then I believe you are missing the point of ATS. I do feel there is something here for almost everyone, so live a little, enjoy this community. Or not. Whatever you want to get out of it, means diddly to me.

edit on 11-6-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Poker

I've said all I can and need to say..
If you don't comprehend then I can't help you,though I think you do..
Enough time wasted trying to explain...Enjoy..

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I've only flagged some topics I found interesting to ME.

It never even dawned on me to star and flag for posturing purposes, whether receiving or giving.

I never gave it a second thought..until now.

Do we win trips to the Bahama's based on flags or stars? Hawaii? Cleveland?

I'll be more serious now... if I can win a trip.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join