It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Stars Flags & Kharma Oh My! Scrubbing My Brain Clean:D

page: 1
10
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I'm still somewhat new to this site and if this posted in the wrong section or against the TOS sorry I mean no harm.


I have worries that the SFK "Star, Flag, Kharma" system could be used for nefarious purposes, such as manipulation, whitewashing actual results, Tracking and so on. I don't mean to bad mouth the site or the people on it but it has been my experience that things are never as they appear despite your surroundings.

The one aspect that worries me more than the others is the starring. Starring seems as though it were implemented in a good nature but as with all things when something good comes along evil seeks to corrupt and exploit it.

The ways in which I think the System could be exploited are:
1)Bot/Multiple Accout Users:

Bot/MAU's could be implemented to inflate the number of stars on certain posts that are a reflection of what those in control want you to think. They can be used and Implemented in several ways to manipulate your thoughts and opinions.

2) Tracking
Those in power could simply see a list of everything you've starred. Every Post you flagged or starred can be combined to make a psychological work up. Meaning they now know what you think, what you believe. From that information they can find out what to say and how to say it to easily manipulate you.

3)Hegelian Dialect (sry know that's not spelled right)
I'm sure you already know the pricipals of HD, welcome to HD2.0 the web version. On the same thread in two opposing posts that are the quintessential polar opposites, they can give both the same amount of stars. Meaning that when some see that this post gets 10 Stars and that post gets 10 Stars then the real truth must be right in the middle so if I post that I'll get 20 Stars. Which in turn can cal so cause people to change their point of view, in a digital peer pressure sort of way.

4)Trusted Peers

Those swanky little bronze, silver and Gold borders. They can give some easily mislead users to believe that everything this poster says can be taken as the gospel. How many time have you seen a thread that was starred and flagged numerous times in a mere momment just because of the person who posted it? I've seen this a dozen times in my short time here. You start to wonder when a post has been up for two minutes, has a 3 page long article or a 30 min video and it already has 20+ stars and flags. I do at least.

5) Dead Stars & Fallen Flage
If said system is being manipulated they can easily take away stars and flags to bury the truth, to make it seem that viewpoints that are in opposition to the status quo are not as popular as they truly are. They could also take away a users points to make said user look like an untrustable fool.

To be honest I think the whole system could be set up to manipulate the way we think and feel. If there are ways that they can use the system against us that I didn't think of feel free to add them.

I'd love to hear what others have to say on this matter and I look forward to seeing your replies.

By the way MODS if you delete this thread I'll Know I'm right.
(I just said that so they won't delete it)


One last thing Sorry for the grammar and spelling mistakes, to be honest I'm not up to snuff on them to begin with but I'm really tired and it's making it worse I'm afraid.




posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
On the other hand there are those of us who notice none of that.

It would appear your looking for issues that don't exist.



posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I am refusing to star and flag this just in case you are correct.
Peace



posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Heck I don't even know what those little letters under my name stand for. I'm sure some people pay attention to that stuff but I come here for the posts and the healthy discussions and that's it.



posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
On the other hand there are those of us who notice none of that.

It would appear your looking for issues that don't exist.

So you don't think that any of those situations are plausible? I'd think the MAU's at least.



posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Poker

Originally posted by kro32
On the other hand there are those of us who notice none of that.

It would appear your looking for issues that don't exist.

So you don't think that any of those situations are plausible? I'd think the MAU's at least.


What's an mau?

No I believe that 99% of people here wouldn't fall into what your implying. You make up the other 1%



posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32

Originally posted by Poker

Originally posted by kro32
On the other hand there are those of us who notice none of that.

It would appear your looking for issues that don't exist.

So you don't think that any of those situations are plausible? I'd think the MAU's at least.


What's an mau?

No I believe that 99% of people here wouldn't fall into what your implying. You make up the other 1%

I guess that's proof you didn't read the OP and are just making comments based on what you think it's about rather than what it's actually about. At the very least you didn't understand it.

Read the OP to find out what an MAU is

edit on 10-6-2011 by Poker because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I can't speak for the masses, but personally I always thought myself as an oddball for some of the "crazy and out there" conspiracy thoughts Ive had all my life, until I found ATS. Having said that I think maybe some folks on here (myself included) don't mind a star here and there just so I know I'm not alone in my thinking. Peace



posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Poker
 





Those swanky little bronze, silver and Gold borders. They can give some easily mislead users to believe that everything this poster says can be taken as the gospel. How many time have you seen a thread that was starred and flagged numerous times in a mere momment just because of the person who posted it?


There are two posters I can think off hand that both have gold status. One I have complete respect for and the other I think either suffers from a mental disorder or is a complete moron.

They key is figuring out who you think are good posters, and who are worthy of your time to read their work. Or debate your position.

The stats are showing people who contribute to the forum, and the people of the forum are the judges. It's a community of people, not a secret order. And it is fairly dynamic, to say the least.



Bottom line: Make up your own mind. (that's what this site is all about).



posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
reply to post by Poker
 





Those swanky little bronze, silver and Gold borders. They can give some easily mislead users to believe that everything this poster says can be taken as the gospel. How many time have you seen a thread that was starred and flagged numerous times in a mere momment just because of the person who posted it?


There are two posters I can think off hand that both have gold status. One I have complete respect for and the other I think either suffers from a mental disorder or is a complete moron.

They key is figuring out who you think are good posters, and who are worthy of your time to read their work. Or debate your position.

The stats are showing people who contribute to the forum, and the people of the forum are the judges. It's a community of people, not a secret order. And it is fairly dynamic, to say the least.



Bottom line: Make up your own mind. (that's what this site is all about).

Honestly I do believe that your right about finding out which posters to trust myself, although my I do believe the resaults of the flagging and starring can be easily manipulated.

My question about the gold and silver borders is why even have them? What is their purpose to begin with?
If they just show who contributes the most content that is flagged starred etc then isn't that basically a sign to other users that hey this poster knows what he's talking about? If everyone else agrees with said poster shouldn't you? Hypothetically of course.



posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Poker
 




If they just show who contributes the most content that is flagged starred etc then isn't that basically a sign to other users that hey this poster knows what he's talking about? If everyone else agrees with said poster shouldn't you? Hypothetically of course.



No, you shouldn't. And you just described the 'follower' mentality.

Great friendships are usually built out of disagreements. That is how people win respect for one another. If you choose to believe someone because they have a lot of flags, stars, or because they have a talk radio show, then you aren't getting to the bottom of things.

Just because there are people out there that will star stupid threads, it doesn't mean you have to think that thread was worthy of a star.



posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
No, you shouldn't. And you just described the 'follower' mentality.

Great friendships are usually built out of disagreements. That is how people win respect for one another. If you choose to believe someone because they have a lot of flags, stars, or because they have a talk radio show, then you aren't getting to the bottom of things.

Just because there are people out there that will star stupid threads, it doesn't mean you have to think that thread was worthy of a star.


You're absolutely right.

The problem I have with the silver/gold borders is what purpose do they serve, what are they good for? The only reason I can think of for their existence is to say "Hey look at me and how Legit I am".

To me they just seem to exist solely for the aggrandizement of the poster and their ideals. I just don't see a use for them other than that.
edit on 10-6-2011 by Poker because: Typo



posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Poker
 


Well presented and thought out. Each scenario you painted is very possible. I personally used to think it was funny, then I started getting kinda annoyed by bizzare one word posts that had 30 stars, now I don't care. I believe if you are simply mature enough to understand most of the elements behind stars and flags and what not it does not matter... your posts do. The community sees through most, in my opinion; the community is strong.

CJ



posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I guess some folks really pay attention to those things...I don't. In fact I have stars and flags aplenty. Want some?...Her, take a few...I'll make some more.

Things only have value if we place value on them. I come here for a good read, some fast breaking news, some mental exercises...and maybe a good debate..like my old friend bogomil in Europe.

Maybe I would have more if I actually wrote some cutting edge thread compiled from numerous sources...but with a job and a farm...I just don't have the time nor the desire.

So to use a well beaten metaphor... Don't miss the trees for all the horses in the forest.



posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Poker
 


Most simple marketing accomplishes as much.

All you say, however true, is but a ripple in an ocean of waves.

'They' got you without ATS. You should certainly know that is true by now.


Now with respect to the boarder thingy around my posts. I'm not a really big fan and I obviously have one. I preferred the less obtrusive versions of the past found on the avatar bar.

But I'm fairly confident they will eventually go away...


They aren't really that great of an idea and I think eventually the ownership will agree.
edit on 10-6-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by loam
 


Oh yeah right, all this coming from a 'subject matter expert'.

Why should we believe what you say!?










I kid... I kid...




posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho
 


Ignore me at your extreme peril.




posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32

No I believe that 99% of people here wouldn't fall into what your implying. You make up the other 1%


I agree that 99% of the people here would not do what the OP is implying. 99% of the members here would probably not go to the time or effort or have the ability or technical know-how to make any use of the available data.

It's the 1%'ers you have to worry about.



posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
 


off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift


 



posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
It's cool you brought it up as someone else did on the Rant forum but personally speaking, it goes both ways.

I've never been swayed by anyone here or indeed any thing. I generally look at the content of the posts more than the fancy stuff around it and I can honestly say I've seen not only some great posts get a lot of stars but also posts that are downright ridiculous, ignorant, insulting or just generally negative in some way get even more of them.



new topics

top topics



 
10
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join