It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian Unveils Prototype Hoverbike

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowen20
reply to post by Aggie Man

That is what a hover bike is supposed to look like!

The other thing is an industrial fan with a seat attached, painted black and glossy in a vain attempt to look cool( which it does not).

I have been pissed since the 80s when I asked my dad to order me plans for a hover board out of the back of a popular science magazine or some such. Needless to say it was not the same as the back to the future 2 model.

Also needless to say I am scarred for life and cynical as hell toward anything that uses the word "Hover" in its title.

I remember that magazine!

I got the X-RAY glasses and...

Well, you know the rest...LOL

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I wouldn't want to be riding this when the SH*T hits the FAN!

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Yeah, me too. It was called Boys Life Magazine. I ordered the blueprints for the hovercraft....it took me "Back to the Future"

Damn waste of a time magazine....thank you Boy Scouts for conning me out of my money.
edit on 10-6-2011 by Aggie Man because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowen20
reply to post by MaskedDebater

Notice the louvers on the underside of the shrouds? These more than likely are supposed to provide the forward propulsion, though I do not see and apparatus that would allow them to function so Im pretty sure it is for looks alone at this point.

I do see what you mean now. They are most evident in the B/W photo under the bridge. Thanks for pointing that.

Now how about L/R steering? X axis, yaw? I wonder if rider lean is a factor? How do yo suppose that is accomplished? I hope that Weedeater guy shows up, he really knows this stuff.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man

Originally posted by jude11

Yeah, me too. I was called Boys Life magazine. I ordered the blueprints for the hovercraft....it took me "Back to the Future"

Damn waste of a time magazine....thank you Boy Scouts for conning me out of my money.

And the 'Charles Atlas' Beach body in 6 weeks...lol

Didn't work either.

But then I went on to sell greeting cards!

Didn't get my am beach radio.

Then I discovered Do-it-yourself Beer Kits.

Worked fine. lol

edit on 10-6-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
From the Hover-Bike.com videos page:

The Hoverbike is being built by me Chris Malloy, and aside from a few donations trickling in, fully funded by myself. I have a small group of volunteers to help, but 99% of the development - manufacture, design and testing is done after work and on the weekends. I would love to work full time on this project, but I need to get the hoverbike to the stage where I can seek funding or sponsorship -- hang in there!

I suppose that the info is simply theoretical. And mostly fantastical.
edit on 6/10/2011 by Dasher because: added commentary.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Here is the vid:

www.youtube.com...

There is just one problem. It wont fly. If you tried to turn you would lose ground effect on the front and go into a spin. Its an old problem that was solved with a full skirt and an upright set of rudders. Sorry, its a scam.
edit on 10-6-2011 by Shadowalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by MaskedDebater

LOL steering??? Yeah tell me about it, Im sorry to the inventor but, Im NOT comfortable leaning into turns at 10 feet of the ground let alone 10,000 feet.

What prevents this from turning upside down for petes sake, other than a pucker A hole?
edit on 10-6-2011 by snowen20 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowalker
Here is the vid:

www.youtube.com...

There is just one problem. It wont fly. If you tried to turn you would lose ground effect on the front and go into a spin. Its an old problem that was solved with a full skirt and an upright set of rudders. Sorry, its a scam.

OK, but still not seeing it in action.

Even 1 foot above ground with live video would be ok.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Thats the whole problem. There will never be a flying vid unless they learn CGI. My dad and I built two saucer shaped , plywood and fiberglass hovercrafts back in 1976.

Funny thing was we built them straight from the plans and they would hover but never steer right. (we did a few repairs while we were learning:@@
what we ended up with was squaring the back and fitting a new curtain and we got one of them to work right. But we also had to make the rudders bigger. two propellers are not going to do it. Look at a harrier jump jet. Its going to take a proportional volume of thrust.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Circa: 1969.

still in use.

www.youtube.com...

Then there is this:

www.youtube.com...

And this one show how a twin fan device needs a large motor and frame. It also uses a multivane fan blade and not a propeller in a well.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Freedom_is_Slavery

The Mythbusters tried building something like that with turbo charged motors and whatnot. They determined it wasn't possible. At least not possible economically.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
A word to all would be inventors of such things as, jet packs, hover boards, hover bikes, hover belts, and anything else that allegedly creates lift off from earth.

If you do not have a method by which to overcome, nullify or simply reduce the effects of gravity.......STOP TRYING. It is 2011 an we were supposed to have anti G coolness back in the 1970s depending on what dreamy literature our read. I'll forgo the atomic space ships for now, just give me something with Gravity reduction.

I eagerly await, 'The Real Hover board"

Sincerely:
Snowen20

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Apparently the inventor used to build canoes:

But seriously, it is a way cool idea.

Perhaps if it doesn't fly he could adapt concept to underwater usage.

/MD

XL5

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
ElGatoLoco0698, the mythbusters screwed up on the stand up hover/jetpack. They didn't spin the props up high enough, they could redline the engine with ease. With a different gear ratio, where at full throttle it would almost redline, they would have gotten it to work very well.

They got the plans from somewhere, maybe the internet. My guess is, they either didn't have the brains to try different gear ratios OR they didn't want any one to build one and have it work so they don't get sued because some one got hurt.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by XL5
ElGatoLoco0698, the mythbusters screwed up .

Mythbusters is a joke...

I can't even recall the number of times they have come to conclussion based on false data. they know ahead of time what they want the outcome of their experiments to be, and they skew their data to achieve those predetermined results.

as far as the OP goes, first clue.... there is no actual video of his device working, let alone validating his claims of 170mph and 10,000 feet ceiling.

until I see it in action, I call BS on someone just trying to find 'funding' to follow up on his trials

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   
So if we all get hoverbikes, then before work each morning we'll all have to pull down our pants, bend over, and let the TSA rape us with their hands. Then we'll be free and clear for a government-approved day of flying the friendly skies. Sounds fantastic...

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
it looks like a hover board that you sit on =/

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
I am not a professional anything as far as aeronautics goes, but even I can see instantly that there is nothing on this gizmo to help it steer (unless those louvres at the bottom also rotate as well as tilt), and nothing to keep it upright. Once those tethers are loosened it will go belly up/flip faster than it will go forward.

There is nothing to give it pitch to rise or descend either; unless he actually has some sophisticated way of independently controlling the speed of fore and aft fans. What stops or controls lateral/side to side movement?

This thing will not work as is without a hell of a lot of sophisticated engineering yet to be done. There is a reason that the other hovercraft designs out there that actually work aren't shaped like motorcycles.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join