It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian Unveils Prototype Hoverbike

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Australian Unveils Prototype Hoverbike

www.escapistmagazine.com

Assuming it's legit, Chris Malloy's hoverbike may be the raddest invention since those sneakers that light up.

First, it should be said that I'm not entirely convinced that this hoverbike isn't a hoax. I'm no aeronautics engineer so the concept of riding around on a couple of giant fans seems possible, but then again most of my concepts of reality are based on the films of the early 1990s.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
It also doesn't help that Malloy is claiming some startling capabilities for his new machine. If he is to be believed, this hoverbike can hit speeds of 170 miles per hour and reach a maximum altitude of 10,000 feet.

If it is legit this could be a pretty sweet way to get around

www.escapistmagazine.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
This "Bike" had better come with a seatbelt. I hear that roadrash from 10,000ft can be nasty.

Maybe they'll classify it as a ultralight?

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I don't doubt this can exist, or isn't a hoax per say... but the claims of 10,000ft and a 170 MPH? Where he gets the speed figure is beyond me. I don't see how that in itself is possible, with the set up he has.

ETA: Unless he gets it up to some altitude, turns it over and throttles it back to earth... that's plausible.
edit on 6/10/2011 by hhcore because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
hillarious! he took a bunch of pics with it posed against various sceneries.
not legit.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Dual rotor helicopters have been around for many years. That's what this would amount to. Not a hovercraft really, although it could certainly do that, if this is legit.

Certainly seems possible. And the speed, altitude figures, they would not be out of the question at all, assuming this could be comparable to regular dual rotor helicopters, with 50 plus year old basic technology.

Add some new ultra-light materials, a super high power-to-weight ratio power-plant, and yeah. I can see it.

JR

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by hhcoreETA: Unless he gets it up to some altitude, turns it over and throttles it back to earth... that's plausible.

Haha, that's exactly what I was thinking. 122 mph terminal velocity plus it's top speed of 48!

edit on 6/10/2011 by scojak because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I still don't understand how people think hover bikes or cars will ever work?

Think of the logistics. Millions of vehicles hovering all over a city with no guides or limitations. If that's all at the same height...never an option.

Different heights? Who decides? How do you go from one level to the other? How do you descend safely? And on and on...

Hover anything will never work in a city as an option for private citizen transport. On a mass scale, people-mover scenario at airports and controlled air space...maybe.

IMO

edit on 10-6-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Oh come on dam it, Its people like you who ruin my dream of a Jetson mobile one day!!

I want one but that one isn't going that fast or that high without a turbine on the back.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
While I don't doubt that this is real, and that it could work i have to say that :

#1 I'm highly unimpressed. If you want to inspire me with fanciful visions of what the future may hold, then by all means please ,...please DO NOT do it with a couple of wooden propellers awkwardly attached to a motorcycle frame.

And #2 DO NOT sit on your alleged hover bike on a hill top with your helmet on like you jst flew it the **** up there.
I get enough false advertising from the NWO thank you, I don't really need it from a non futuristic and uncool nonflying bike.

Ps. This is not addressed to the op. This is addressed to the creator of the bike, and all those of his caliber that while they care enough to try, are simply blowing smoke up our asses via thermal convection.

Star and flag anyway.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I am not very smart but: The "props" seem to be enclosed in fixed or rigid enclosures and I see no pivotal mechanisms to slant/tilt the rotor enclosures.

Helicopters get their forward thrust by angling or tilting their rotors (dipping front downward) and steering is obviously done by a vertical tail rotor. The forward tilting of blades is referred to as "cyclic" which yields forward motion.

There is no doubt this thing might hover but I'm not certain it is able to obtain forward motion unless there is some sort of "ducting" or "venting" like in a Harrier that I can't see while it is lying on the ground in beautiful posed locations not actually flying.

More on helicopters here:

www.aerospaceweb.org...

/MD
edit on 10-6-2011 by MaskedDebater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sky watcher
reply to post by jude11

Oh come on dam it, Its people like you who ruin my dream of a Jetson mobile one day!!

I want one but that one isn't going that fast or that high without a turbine on the back.

Ahh, but remember the Jetsons?

They were moving between moons and planets...very different.

And when they were on one planet, most times they were on people-mover conveyor type walkways.

Love the Jetsons but still prefer the Flintstones!

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedDebater
I am not very smart but:

I think yer smarter than most.

Good input!

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reminds me of the hiller vz-1 "pawnee" of the army experimental project in the 50s

www.damninteresting.com...

interesting read for an not so original idea.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
I still don't understand how people thing hover bikes or cars will ever work?

Think of the logistics. Millions of vehicles hovering all over a city with no guides or limitations. If that's all at the same height...never an option.

Different heights? Who decides? How do you go from one level to the other? How do you descend safely? And on and on...

Hover anything will never work in a city as private citizen transport. On a mass scale people mover scenario at airports and controlled air space...maybe.

IMO

It wouldn't be hard to think of a way to control the airspace above a city like we do with roads on the ground.

Futurama comes to mind.

With a GPS system integrated with a digital mapping system, we could have a HUD (Heads Up Display) project the road edges onto the windscreen of the hover-car/bike.

However there have been lots of hover-car designs over the last 50 odd years and all of them have hit the same wall... Due to the short blades of the propulsion system(fan/rotor/turbine) they are terribly inefficient and use excessive fuel.

There was a quite clever hover-car design that turned up a few years ago in one of the science magazines (New Scientist I think, but it could have been PopSci) that utilised four axially rotating Wankel engines ("Rotary's" for the car lovers).

Here is a link to a picture of it

Very cool but I think I would want a parachute fitted for the off chance of running out of fuel mid-flight.

edit on 10/6/2011 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by MaskedDebater

Notice the louvers on the underside of the shrouds? These more than likely are supposed to provide the forward propulsion, though I do not see and apparatus that would allow them to function so Im pretty sure it is for looks alone at this point.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
This reminds me of the "speeder bikes" in Star Wars: Return of the Jedi.

However, 170 mph & 10,000 ft. altitude....I'll believe it when I see it!

edit on 10-6-2011 by Aggie Man because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
This reminds me of the "speeder bikes" in Star Wars: Return of the Jedi.

However, 170 mph & 10,000 ft. altitude....I'll believe it when I see it!

edit on 10-6-2011 by Aggie Man because: (no reason given)

Maybe it can climb to 10,000ft(theoretically possible) and it runs out of fuel allowing it to accelerate to 170+mph in a free fall

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

That is what a hover bike is supposed to look like!

The other thing is an industrial fan with a seat attached, painted black and glossy in a vain attempt to look cool( which it does not).

I have been pissed since the 80s when I asked my dad to order me plans for a hover board out of the back of a popular science magazine or some such. Needless to say it was not the same as the back to the future 2 model.

Also needless to say I am scarred for life and cynical as hell toward anything that uses the word "Hover" in its title.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
JETMOTO!!!!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join