It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Size is Everything!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Ever wonder how big everything is compared to you and me?
Well, I always wanted to find a complete source of scale from the smallest objects we know of to the largest, 'the known universe'.
Sounds pretty easy but such sources seem to go either one way or the other and never are truly complete. So I have put together a thread, with some of the best information I could gather, to try and resolve this.

Starting with Atoms, seems appropriate enough, since the size of these items can be put to comparison fairly easy.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c44c23b2b242.jpg[/atsimg]
Matter is mostly made up of empty space. Molecules are made up of Atoms. Atoms are made up of Protons, Neutrons and Electrons. And Protons and Neutrons are made up of Quarks.
Quarks are. . . the size of Quarks is a bit hard to explain and off topic I'll leave this alone for you experts! But there are 3 of them in every Proton and Neutron. If this football stadium represented an entire complete atom, the nucleus would be the size of a golf ball and the electrons would be orbiting in the parking lot.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5c3b078378b0.jpg[/atsimg]
Next is a video that starts at a water molecule and ends at the largest known galaxy. Showing the difference between each in size. Remember a water molecule is made up of 3 Atoms.

The video puts pretty much everything in relation but there are still many things missing!
Maybe we should step back for a moment at look at our solar system a bit closer. Most of us have a good grasp on how big the Earth is, since we are on it. We also look at the sun and the moon every day and night but do any of you really know how far away they are in true scale?
This video by Bill Nye will explain:

Well that gives a good impression of how much space is 'in between' everything and it clarifies the sizes of our solar system but we are only 1 solar system out of a billion billion. How do we rank up to other solar systems in the universe we can see? This next video uses our stars to make this understood better:

Suddenly I feel very small. Imagine if life exists around some of these hyper-giant stars and how vastly different there perception of size may be. It is believed hummingbirds perceive the world differently then humans do given their size and speed. They see the world moving in slow motion just as some believe elephants and whales see the world sped up. Would it be the same situation here if we found life or it found us?

The last video is probably the best example for it shows everything from being on Earth, to our cosmic horizon of space and time. It is very well done and amazing to see how little we know so far:

Hope you enjoyed!
AB
edit on 6/10/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

Nice thread.

Here is something that may help with your task in this thread.

The Scale of the Universe

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Tayesin

I wish I could of found that yesterday it is awesome!

Just what i was looking for, thanks.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Size? If you truly contemplate the Infinite Platform everything exists in: Infinity.

Beyond our Universe - Infinity Zoom [HD]

What is size, when no measurement can be taken? If you place a dot on an infinite line anywhere you still have the same EQUAL ENDLESSNESS in all directions.

The infinity within an atom, a grain of sand, a star are all = volume of endlessness.

There can be, NO up/down, forward/backwards, bigger/smaller, MOVEMENT, or TIME, except as Perception Only. Consciousness perceives. All things are Infinite and all moments exist forever somewhere in "time".

There can be no singularities in Infinity, no limits, no boundaries, no ONE. Only Infinite Person/Place/Thing, Infinite Energies/Intelligences.

This is all a matrix on top of this. Quarks within atoms are only exotic energy condensed in this frequency range.

www.scribd.com...

They've found 2d pixels alot like the pigments in a Cathode Ray Tube. Something erects holograms in labs, lasers do! Stars are a connection or hole in the matrix, input system. All things are photons and come from the stars!

Real crafts when they take people are different sizes within, than without. 30 foot craft can contain a whole world or a huge station within, as if they know this. Well even our Quantum Scientists at least on the black op level know that and quite a few others only our knowledge of the platform is anthill. Advanced tech races can compartmentalize infinity space, something like reformating hardrives on the computer.

So what is size? Perception!
edit on 11-6-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

I don't like to use the word 'infinite' or 'infinity'.
To me it is an abstract concept that is mainly used when we as humans can't perceive numbers, sizes or anything that is large and out of our comfortable realm of thought.

I believe anything and everything is quantifiable even though we may lack the instruments, mathematics or perception to calculate it.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Size eventually becomes insignificant distinctions though. Especially when the means to realize it is absent.

It's IMO that time span, another measure of 'size' is incomprehensible to the advocates against evolution, and the very formation of mass to heavier mass into particles, to life. Because the span of time involved is only a number that doesn't seem too big to jot down on a piece of paper for the evolution of life from stars to form.

You see in our observable Universe, 'Let there be Light' wasn't first.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Thanks. I came here because of the name, stayed, watched the available vids, liked your stadium example, and saw size of a water molecule for the first time. Nice work.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

I'm glad you enjoyed!

I can't make any threads right now so I'm kinda just hanging out again.
Glad some of the old stuff is still interesting. It's good that ATS doesn't delete it.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Thanks, I checked out a couple of your threads (this and the optical illusions, and there were many on there I haven't seen). You made a lot of them, why haven't you made one for awhile? Thanks.

This was a vid from your OP, the coding was off, fixed and shown in all its glory:

edit on 1-4-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

top topics

join