It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super 8 is out today

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
From the previews, it almost seems destined to become an instant classic...

Maybe even Speilberg capturing lighting in a bottle again...but I guess we'll see.

I'm hoping to go see it over the weekend. Hope it lives up to the expectations.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Man I'm so sick of hearing about this movie. Most of it was filmed right across the river from me and the local news has been shoving this movie down my throat every chance it gets.They've been reporting nonstop even before the name was released, they were just calling it the unconfirmed J.J. Abrams Movie.

Shame is I probably would have liked it but now I'm just so sick of it.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

It looks good. It's still another one of those movie trailers where all you see is the world ending and no idea who the villain is.I don't like most of these type but I really liked District 9. I don't know what it is about all these armagedon films, they are everywhere and not just the typical ateroid hitting earth type. Childrens movies, comic book movies, sci-fi, you name it. It's like hollywood is conditioning us. Getting us accustomed to destruction and mass killings. I wonder why.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts. I rarely go to the movie theater any more because of rude people on mobile phones. I do go for movies I think might be worth the experience.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Going tonight!

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I will F&S you just for your signature. Way to go Mod.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Bah it's not out in UK Land until August, looks good though even if it seems to be a slow burner like the good old days before we had explosions in the opening credits.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Just got back. I really enjoyed it. It's got some awesome effects, good fast moving story, good characters. I won't spoil any of it, but I will say I thought it was head and shoulders better than Cloverfield, which I thought was okay.

On a five star scale, I'd give it a 4.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
Just got back. I really enjoyed it. It's got some awesome effects, good fast moving story, good characters. I won't spoil any of it, but I will say I thought it was head and shoulders better than Cloverfield, which I thought was okay.

On a five star scale, I'd give it a 4.

I was never a fan of Cloverfield, never even finished it lol but this I have been dying to see.

I hope it's about what I want it to be about.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

If you're a sci fi/horror/action movie fan, I don't think you'll be disappointed. There's no blood and gore in it, and there really doesn't need to be. Good acting. Dakota Fanning's little sister has the acting chops her big sis has. It's got that Spielberg touch of humanity in it. A good time at the movies.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Just got back from seeing the movie. I have to say, I was highly skeptical coming into this movie after watching Cloverfield, but I was totally blown out of my seat by this movie. This movie captured how movie making used to be. Back when you totally felt every joy or pain that the characters felt. This is now in my top favorite movies of all time, right along with Goonies, and ET. It has the same feel as those movie did, and honestly it's been a really long time since a movie has made me feel that way. I give it 5 stars just on the nostalgia alone. If any of you remember the days of Goonies, Monster Squad, ET, or even Lost Boys I highly encourage you to see the movie.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I thought about Goonies too. Good movie but as with anything there is a lot of reinforcement behind occult themes. Anyway here is my thoughts on the symbolism:

1) Town is called Lillian which is a reference to Lilith.

2) We have yet another reference to Charles/Chuck in this movie.

3) Not believing anything is coincidence, think about the shot where the cube went through the side of the house - through a huge poster of a space shuttle which would have been 2 years before the first shuttle launch (anachronism?).

4) Yet another reference to transformer technology.

5) We are told we need to help the subterranean "monster", that eats people, get back home - that he isn't that bad, just misunderstood.

6) Reinforces the military has supreme authority over citizens and law enforcement.

7) I am in him and he is in me?

8) Main character's last name is Lamb? First name Joe (Joseph?)

9) Alice (noble Exalted) Dainard (bold Dane)

10) I find it strange he uses the name Katsnyk for Charle's very large family as its not a name that seems to have ever been used until this movie.

11) The ascending ship is shaped like a star.

12) Joe's plea to the alien is odd at best - "Bad things happen. You can live." I kept expecting better reasoning for them not to be eaten so that was strange.

13) Bad guy - Nelec/k means "Resembling a horn."

14) Movie within a movie - sub-movie about zombies - i.e. "men will seek death but not find it."

15) They put Lillian in the place of New Lebanon, OH

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
See, I have Cloverfield in my Top Five Movies of all time so I can't wait till it's out here to see if Super 8 can match or better it.

Glad you enjoyed it
edit on 11/6/2011 by curious7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
"Super 8" Can't even be compared to "Cloverfield"

From a production value, script, cast, direction, location, everything, Super 8 was great and I'm not a big fan of JJ or Spielberg. Super 8 was a GOOD movie.

Cloverfield was just another handheld camera clone of Blair witch. imo

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Reminds me of a conversation I had with my girlfriend about how much we hated Blair Witch, god that movie sucked.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by curious7

And there you go. I thought Blair Witch was an excellent example of what can be done on a tight budget with no effects and a good story. I was caught up in it. I thought it was a lot better than Paranormal Activity, but I liked that, too.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Just saw it about 3 hours ago I absolutely loved it...

First off there is no shaky handheld camera. This is not one of those Blair Witch Project type of movies, where people are running through the woods and the audience can't see crap.
I like how the Alien did not make a real clear experience till after about a hour. It added to the suspense..
Like WTF is kidnapping killing everyone...
Where is it taking them.........
How big is this thing?

The movie is well written, I felt if I went to get popcorn I would have missed something important to the story..

For anyone who is a UFO buff and familar with the story of Roswell, I feel this Movie draws alot from that.
Coverup
Military Occupation
etc...

I love this movie. I almost cried and it's tough to get me to cry. It was kinda unpredictable till near the end.
Also I thought it was cool that doing the credits they showed the finished movie the kids were working on. It was pretty funny.

Despite Children Being the main characters it really is not a childrens movie..Tiny bit of profanity, little bit of blood also..

I'm going to go see this movie again..

4.5/ out of 5 stars

Only reason its not perfect cause are 1 or 2 scenes that were kinda slow. Still this is the best movie I've seen this year so far..
edit on 13-6-2011 by TheLogicalist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   

This movie captured how movie making used to be.

That is awesome to hear. My wife wasn't feeling well, so we didn't go out and see it over the weekend, but will very soon.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
reply to post by curious7

And there you go. I thought Blair Witch was an excellent example of what can be done on a tight budget with no effects and a good story. I was caught up in it. I thought it was a lot better than Paranormal Activity, but I liked that, too.

Honestly, first few times I watched it I thought it was pretty cool but then like with some movies, the novelty wore off for me.

Weirdly I can watch Cloverfield repeatedly and still enjoy it as much as the last time but that's why we have discussion forums to talk about differeing opinions.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join