It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Proof is NOT in the Pudding!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
"The proof is in the pudding".

This drives me bonkers when I hear it, and its said all the time.
From friends, family, and even television news and shows.

The proof is in the pudding you say? so what does that mean? someone baked some proof into a pudding pie or...explain in great detail what you just said

-bangs head against keyboard for awhile-

ok, the ACTUAL phrase is "The proof of the pudding is in the eating".

First off, pudding is not a chocolate mouse knockoff...it is a old term simply meaning dessert.

Was it made correctly? skillfully? is it cooked properly? well, you won't know until you try a bite
the proof of the pudding (the proof that its done properly) is in the eating.

The proverb is ancient — it has been traced back to 1300 and was popularised by Cervantes in his Don Quixote of 1605. It’s sad that it has lasted so long, only to be corrupted in modern times.

Yes, it survived for hundreds upon hundreds of years...the dark ages, finding new worlds, revolutions...and suddenly someone invents the television and people go collectively stupid.

I think what bugs me most about this corruption is that it is so widely used, and makes no sense. sometimes things become corrupt and shortened, but still makes some sense..but this...its like nobody saying the corrupt sentence even considers what they say long enough to think "wait, what the hell does that mean?"

grrrr...pet peeve...must destroy..

So, what are some of your pet peeves about corrupted language...or am I just needing more meds?
edit on 14-6-2011 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Posting about a saying? This site sucks when summer is out.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by aceto

Posting about a saying? This site sucks when summer is out.

Ranting about linguistics
in a rant forum.

yes...seeing the destruction of language does annoy me.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

So, what are some of your pet peeves about corrupted language...or am I just needing more meds?

I hate when people say they "Could care less" when it would mean more to say "I couldn't care less."

But yeah, look in to those meds

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

My pet peeves about language??
Ebonics and pet peeves.

Where the hell did pet peeve come from???

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun

My pet peeves about language??
Ebonics and pet peeves.

Where the hell did pet peeve come from???

Actually a pretty old term..peeve being of course ill tempered about something..finding something irritating, pet meaning the adj. version "favorite"...so, my favorite annoyance. however, favorite annoyance sounds dumb and a bit oxymoronic

finding out common phrases are quite interesting, such as sleep tight, (strings on the matress), "black market" (mercs with oxydized armor that just killed some royal knight would sell off their goods)...Son of a gun (raping a native), Saved by the bell (buried alive people with a string tied to their finger going up to a bell), etc.

terms are fun to learn, and some of the most common phrases we have today actually have some very twisted roots.
Check some out

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Hawking

I could care less about your feelings on the "I could care less" issue, but it is not important enough to care even less.
See how that worked, you can say that you care even less than the least, by having a total disregard of caring.
Do you understand, better question, did I understand?
Teh brayn hurtez now I need to eat some ica cream to lessen teh payne.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

A "Peeve" (noun) is a source of annoyance or irritation. A pet peeve is one that you hold close to your heart, like a pet. It is generally something ubiquitous enough for you to encounter it on a semi-regular basis. Pet Peeves are also often things that their owners seek to correct through education. As we see here.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
"The exception that proves the rule."

This phrase originally meant that if any exception is found, the rule is DISproved, because "prove" meant "test". Exceptions do not make a rule valid, they make it invalid.

This twist is especially popular with racists and misogynists: if one or two "exceptional" people of another race or the feminine sex are found to be at least as capable in something as the prejudicial person, they brush it off as proving that the vast majority of the despised group is thereby proven to be inferior. This is completely illogical.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaberTruth
they brush it off as proving that the vast majority of the despised group is thereby proven to be inferior. This is completely illogical.

I don't know man...I think the proof is in the pudding about that.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
My pet peeve is people that complain about coruptuing a language. You cannot corrupt a langauge, it is not math. Langauge is an ever evolving and changing form of communication and there are thousands of langauges. None of them corrupted by the natural evolution of language. Again its not math, it will never, ever stay exactly the same. If never changed we would be stone age idiots with no ability to produce a langauge to fit or technology. Something new would come along and we would not be able to make a name for it or change the name to fit a new use for it. If you do not understand something from a language it does not mean other people do not. So now here are the brass tacks, langauge changes non stop and you will not understand it all, as long as two people do though it is still a language and form of communication. This topic is half a** aka half adz. Just cause you do not get it does not mean it is wrong.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by MaxNormal

nope, its wrong, and language does become corrupt.

language should be added onto, not altered. consider a biblical stance
at one point, we all spoke the same language and all understood one another, then some meddling deity came along and corrupted the language, broke it all up, and confused the whole mess, (and tearing down our super cool tower in the process...what an arse).

So anyhow, ya..preserve the language and just add on as we gain more knowledge, but if you are changing the root and meaning of already existing words and terms, then it serves to not only confuse the people more, but also render written knowledge unusuable after awhile.

Language used to change alot simply because people were uneducated and ignorance...now its changing just because people want to be unique or lazy and create a new word out of a old word for the hell of it.

Trick is to undo the mess and try to reconnect with a single understandable language throughout the world over time...not fraction it more and more until you simply don't understand someone 3 blocks away...

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   

So by your twisted logic you should be speaking sumariean or ancient egyptian. But no you speak this totally corrupted idiot language. So take your own twisted logic and aply it, go find the original language relearn it and teach all us idiots over 6 billion that are speaking a horible coruupted language's in your eyes. You are clueless.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaxNormal

So by your twisted logic you should be speaking sumariean or ancient egyptian. But no you speak this totally corrupted idiot language. So take your own twisted logic and aply it, go find the original language relearn it and teach all us idiots over 6 billion that are speaking a horible coruupted language's in your eyes. You are clueless.

Well, ultimately the thread is about phrases...and in that respect, many phrases we use today are from ancient greece and the like.
So yes

clueless? are you actually getting angry over this? heh...oh well.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
The proof is in the pudding.
The proof is in the puddin' puddinhead.

It's laziness, is all. When I want to fling a cliche at someone I'm likely to say "Don't count your chickens".
I know they know what I mean. They complete the sentence in their minds. So see?

You can't judge a book ...........
edit on 6/12/2011 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by angeldoll
The proof is in the puddin' puddinhead.

It's laziness, is all. When I want to fling a cliche at someone I'm likely to say "Don't count your chickens".
I know they know what I mean. They complete the sentence in their minds. So see?

You can't judge a book ...........
edit on 6/12/2011 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

-beats you over the head with a large trout!-

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by aceto

When you get a watts higher then 20, only then do you earn the right to gripe about other posters.

I will ask the same bout you, school is out already?

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I also hate when you talk about accidently eating a bug, people say oh its protein.

I prefer my protein to have only four legs. Is that supposed to make me feel better, that a disgusting insect has nutritional value?

Ok, I feel better now that I got that off my chest.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
I also hate when you talk about accidently eating a bug, people say oh its protein.

I prefer my protein to have only four legs. Is that supposed to make me feel better, that a disgusting insect has nutritional value?

Ok, I feel better now that I got that off my chest.

4 legs you say. interesting.

no comment.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

I think what bugs me most about this corruption is that it is so widely used, and makes no sense. sometimes things become corrupt and shortened, but still makes some sense..but this...its like nobody saying the corrupt sentence even considers what they say long enough to think "wait, what the hell does that mean?"

grrrr...pet peeve...must destroy..

I could go on forever about corrupted language, and wrong sayings!
I'll just mention two - people constantly say that King Knut was trying to turn back the tide. Wrong! He was making the opposite point to his sycophantic courtiers.
Marie Antoinette never said "Let them eat cake"
I have a blog that deals with misuses, and one of my pet ones on ATS is "based off". Noooooooooooooooooo! A thing can't be based "off" something, it has to be basedon it!
Language usage blog

top topics

<<   2 >>

join