It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iceland's Citizens Are Writing Its New Constitution Online, Can The US Do It Too??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

In the 18th century, if you wanted to draft a democratic constitution you crowded a handful of men into a room and hashed out the finer points of policy and philosophy until you had a document that was declared the law of the land. Same for the 19th and 20th centuries. But nowadays, the Internet--that great democratizer--is bringing a new kind of power to the people. Icelandic authorities overhauling that county’s constitution post-financial meltdown is tapping the power of the Web to allow citizens to give their two cents on how a new governing document should look.

www.popsci.com...

Berghildur Erla Bergthorsdottir, the spokeswoman for the organising committee, said: "This is the first time in the history of the world that a nation's constitution is reviewed in such a way."

"We are hoping this new constitution will be a new social covenant leading to reconstruction and reconciliation, and for that to happen, the entire nation needs to be involved," said the prime minister, Johanna Sigurdardottir.

www.guardian.co.uk...

I think this is a GREAT idea!! With all the corruption in the government and police in the United States it's about time we had a little bit of change. What better way to go about it than this? Imagine having a constitution that was really "by the people" and "for the people". I'm hearing that they're going to be using Facebook and twitter. Imagine someone proposing doing away with the FED and it getting 5million "likes" lol.

People say if you want to change things don't protest or commit random acts of violence, STAND UP AND DO SOMETHING!! Well this my friends is something we can actually do!! This internet is a beautiful and powerful thing. So much can be accomplished with this unique tool if we just put our minds to it. Businesses, careers and lives are built and destroyed daily with it, why not a constitution? I'm going to be watching this story carefully to see how it progresses. I hope it works out well for them and I wish them luck.

If we were to do this in the United States what would be some laws that YOU would suggest be put on the books, taken off the books or ratified?

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
The US does not need a new Constitution.
We need to go back to the Original Intent and Formation of.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman

I disagree. Times have changed and laws have been changed, repealed and stretched to fit agendas. We need to sit down and really take a look at our laws in general and come to a consensus. The average citizen doesn't even realize what is really illegal or legal and/or why. Why is this allowed but that is not? Example: Marijuana is illegal but cigarettes are not, WHY?? Taxes? The Federal Reserve? WHY?

Let's have a brigade of CITIZENS who police the police. The Freedom of Information Act can use some work too.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProphecyPhD

I disagree. Times have changed and laws have been changed, repealed and stretched to fit agendas. We need to sit down and really take a look at our laws in general and come to a consensus. The average citizen doesn't even realize what is really illegal or legal and/or why. Why is this allowed but that is not? Example: Marijuana is illegal but cigarettes are not, WHY?? Taxes? The Federal Reserve? WHY?

Let's have a brigade of CITIZENS who police the police. The Freedom of Information Act can use some work too.

You need to go back and re-read those Original Documents. To restore means to start at the beginning.
What you suggest is the same as new laws being enacted when the old laws are not enforced or ignored.
edit on 10-6-2011 by macman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

Forced Healthcare? The Patriot Act? Soon we won't be able to grow our own food. Time are definitely changing and i at least want a say in the matter!

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ProphecyPhD

Those things are not in the Original Documents.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

OK, OK, i get it. The point of the thread is to explore the idea of US citizens using the INTERNET to help with the law making process PERIOD. I think this is a ingenious idea! So many laws are added to the books that we don't realize or even have a real say in. For instance in NY you cannot smoke cigarettes in public places like parks, beaches, college campuses. This may sound like a good idea for health reasons but they never asked us, the just MADE THE LAW!! I'm a fan of "for the people, by the people", it sounds nice in theory, now lets implement it.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

OK, OK, i get it. The point of the thread is to explore the idea of US citizens using the INTERNET to help with the law making process PERIOD. I think this is a ingenious idea! So many laws are added to the books that we don't realize or even have a real say in. For instance in NY you cannot smoke cigarettes in public places like parks, beaches, college campuses. This may sound like a good idea for health reasons but they never asked us, the just MADE THE LAW!! I'm a fan of "for the people, by the people", it sounds nice in theory, now lets implement it.

Now that I am on board with. The online thing, not the idea that Govt can tell you where you can smoke in public.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
So i ask you ATS, what laws would you vote to do away with? What laws would you vote to add? I'm intrigued by this subject and would love some feed back. I wish this were an ATS poll so i could really see what the members (and the lurkers) think. Someone said they would hack the system and add some perks for themselves (lol). Hacking into the US government is a crime punishable by reverse hacking and military action (just a reminder). Who voted on THAT law by the way?

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
This would never be possible inside the US.

The US just has too many people with too many different ideas to reach a consensus online.

In a word, it would be mayhem.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by peck420
This would never be possible inside the US.

The US just has too many people with too many different ideas to reach a consensus online.

In a word, it would be mayhem.

Thats like saying we can't pick a president. We could have a new vote every few years, If iceland gets this right we could use their system as the blueprint for ours. There's room for improvement in everything, it's a process.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Thats like saying we can't pick a president. We could have a new vote every few years, If iceland gets this right we could use their system as the blueprint for ours. There's room for improvement in everything, it's a process.

We can't. We can barely decide between the 2 false choices we are given, let alone an actual choice.

I'm sure the government would LOVE for "us" to redo the constitution. Replace our time-honored freedoms with whatever the idiot masses decide on? Push their fear-mongering agendas 24/7 on the MSM, or just outright tamper with the online voting. They'd be able to accelerate the destruction of freedom by 100 fold.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Complete fail.

Choose A, B, or C, is vastly different than input your idea here.

You would have 100's of millions of ideas to go through. Millions of votes to slim that down. Hundreds of thousands of secondary votes to slim it more...debate on debate on debat...ad naseum.

See you in a 1000 years or so when it is finally done.

You are comparing a system that has yet to work for 320,000 people to a country that has 300,000,000+.

The shear volume of input makes this unreasonable.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420

So leave a broken system broken because it will be challenging to fix? You my friend are now ineligible to participate in the process

Seriously, humor me ATS i would like to hear some of the thing you would change given the opportunity.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Laws, laws, laws.

The problem is not with changing laws, its too many of them. The original documents were simple and elegant. They worked. Confusion is all that is created with law after law after law. We don't need a new constitution. The US Constitution was the ultimate doorway to liberty, and if followed, it still can be.

Star to you macman.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Here is a direct example:

Icleand has chosen 1000 randomly drawn citizens between 18-89 for the assembly that will present ideas.
(318,452 total, approx 77.5% between 18-89 = draw population of 246,800, 1000 selected or 0.4%)

If you use the same ratio for the US, you will have an assembly of 957,111 persons.
(308,745,538 total, approx 77.5% between 18-89 = draw population of 239,277,792, 0.4% selected = 957,111)

That assembly is just to present ideas that can be drawn on by another assembly comprised of just over half as many people.

This is something that could work very well for small populations, but the effectiveness will dimish quickly as population increases.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Simple answer...

Return to the original system that worked. (US Constitution)

Make the laws that bind the government to it ironclad and only changeable through direct US citizen open vote.

The only mistake the US Consitution has is the part that allows the politicians to modify it.

edit on 10-6-2011 by peck420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by peck420

Simple answer...

Return to the original system that worked. (US Constitution)

Make the laws that bind the government to it ironclad and only changeable through direct US citizen open vote.

The only mistake the US Consitution has is the part that allows the politicians to modify it.

that in itself would take a vote, would it not?

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
It would take a single nation wide vote, if worded correctly.

2nd.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420

i believe that and more can be done, you would be surprised of what the human race is capable of. Is ANYONE going to tell me what they would be in favor of adding or getting rid of (as far as laws are concerned)?? Or is ATS just a "i'm gonna debunk you" site??

top topics

<<   2 >>

join