It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remember the part about petitioning your government about grievances

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
What happens when you get patted on the head and told to go home?

The plea ---

www.youtube.com...

and then the measured response of a Iowa Republican

www.youtube.com...

Ok now guess who is not going to vote republican.

When I was in college we would take over a whole damn building to make a point. We would protest for women's rights, civil rights, the war, and certain incidences like Kent State (an arrest record that I proudly look back upon), That was at the University of Nebraska, in a state where politeness ruled. Changes were made.

These guys were asking not to be pinched in their quest for a higher education. You can see how well the civility worked and the esteem that this Iowa republican holds for his constituents. I cant image what would have happened in the day if we were told to just go home and forget about grown up government stuff.

Words have meaning - this will reflect badly on Iowa republicans. Every college student in Iowa will be exposed to this example of arrogance. Welcome to the interwebs..
edit on 10-6-2011 by spyder550 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Yes kids, just keep all that political zeal and idealism on a college campus where it belongs. Storm the quad all you want but your juvenile sense of activism has no place in a real political setting. You're really just wasting my time especially sense you're not lobbying me with cash but it's sooo cute that you're trying though. Maybe when you grow up you can participate in politics but for now go back to campus and stay wasted.

--what a complete sellout--

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Perhaps the kids need to try harder to get their point across. Making changes in this country is certainly possible but it's not easy. Not easy at all. Look at what it took to get civil rights passed. The beatings, the dogs, the sit-in's trying to maintain your cool as those walking past you gave you a kick in the back.

I just don't see the kids today having the fortitude to do the things it takes to get actual changes done so it's not suprising when people just laugh off their silly attempts to protest.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Well, these students did things the "right" way. The way we're all told to express political dissent: in the prescribed location, within the set time limits, with a controllable amount of people, having the approved permit and expressing all the political fervor of soggy toast...this is a budgetary issue after all.

I think these students just wanted to be taken seriously and be heard like other constituents.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
When you are in college, you are 18 and working, or in the military -- you are a card carrying adult.

Back in the days of conscription it had a little harder meaning but - if you are old enough to die for your country - you are old enough to have a say in its governance. I wonder how the good representative feels about other demographics in his constituency.
edit on 10-6-2011 by spyder550 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by spyder550

Undergraduates are much more diverse in age and experience these days.

But you're right, if these were all young people in army uniforms the politician might have been less dismissive.

new topics

top topics

join