It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkey is "ready for all scenarios including military ones" to handle the Syrian crisis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

Syria army moves on Jisr al-Shughour

1552: Turkish leaders have been ramping up the rhetoric. Earlier, Prime Minister Erdogan accused the Syrian government of committing atrocities and said he could no longer defend President Bashar al-Assad. He said he had spoken to Mr Assad in recent days and urged him to embrace reform, but the Syrian response had been inadequate.

1559: Meanwhile, al-Jazeera is quoting Turkish President Abdullah Gul as saying Turkey is "ready for all scenarios including military ones" to handle the Syrian crisis.

Only last year Turkey's leaders were talking of providing defensive cover for the Syrian regime if Israel attacked Syria over the transfer of SCUD rockets to Lebanon. A huge regional shift if Turkey's relations continue to fall with Syria over this, and obviously in NATO's favour especially in the event of the defence pact between Syria-Iran (Russia?) coming into play.

edit on 10-6-2011 by john124 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Take into account the Iran situation and connect the two.

We now have the potential for encirclement, an active NATO alliance including gulf state allies and an increasing likelyhood of Iran going nuclear.

This is bigger than Syrian refugees.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I think most of this tension going on is Obama's fault for being wishy washy in his support of Israel. He's wavering and other countries in the region keep taking little steps to see what they can get away with. I don't think there's gonna be a major war over there but I do expect some pretty heavy quick flare ups to happen unless Obama puts some serious effort into stabalizing that region.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

I think much of it is fomented in order to combat Iran. No one wants a nuclear Iran. I can see an in and out invasion potential here. If Turkey enters Syria and heads for the Iranian border, that will be the go signal.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Syria: Turkey condemns violence as Assad's helicopters open fire

Mr Erdogan, who once said he would be a "brother" to President Assad, condemned the Assad regime's use of violence to put down protests as "savagery" and in a key move said he could support intervention by the United Nations.

The bloodshed has served to divide a new axis that was developing between Turkey, Syria and Iran, long feared by Washington and its western allies.

William Hague, the foreign secretary, this week accused Iran of providing equipment and technical advice to help Syria put down opposition protests.

Some refugees reported seeing men who had beards - unusual in Syria - and did not speak Arabic on the streets of Jisr al-Shughour, suggesting they might be Iranian.

Iran has denied the reports, but does not hide its continuing support for President Assad.

Mr Erdogan, however, demonstrated in a television interview he had finally lost patience with his former ally.

"I say this clearly and openly, from a humanitarian point of view, his brother (Maher) is not behaving in a humane manner," he said. "And he is chasing after savagery."

He said he could no longer support the regime at the United Nations, where Britain and other countries are hoping to propose a resolution condemning the regime.

Joshua Landis, a well-connected Syria analyst at the University of Oklahoma, said the new development had "ended" the Iran, Syria and Turkey relationship.

"Erdogan is letting Syria know it doesn't have a lot of time," Professor Landis said.

Already connecting Iran to Syrian oppression and "conveniently" removes Turkey from the Syrian-Iranian alliance.
edit on 10-6-2011 by john124 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fiberx
reply to post by kro32

I think much of it is fomented in order to combat Iran. No one wants a nuclear Iran. I can see an in and out invasion potential here. If Turkey enters Syria and heads for the Iranian border, that will be the go signal.

Again, they are the "head of the snake". I hope Saudi, Israeli, Jordan and Bahrain military will combine military efforts regardless of ideology for one time period in life to take out the psychotics. The USA though, some Euro countries and the UN seem to be pretty lazy and commit to doing useless sanctions. Looks like some people in the region then need to pull up their shirts and do something to counter this apathy.
edit on 10-6-2011 by SoulofBlack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
I think most of this tension going on is Obama's fault for being wishy washy in his support of Israel. He's wavering and other countries in the region keep taking little steps to see what they can get away with. I don't think there's gonna be a major war over there but I do expect some pretty heavy quick flare ups to happen unless Obama puts some serious effort into stabalizing that region.

Can't stand when leaders decide to make decisions in middle east regions based on a purely academic perspective who don't know jack about the reality of any situation over there.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Turkish government (elected this Sunday for the 3rd time, PM Erdogan and his crew) will do whatever UN, EU, US and NATO says. This is not about religion, muslims can kill (and is gonna kill) other muslims, this is about being a puppet, and there are signed agreements between.

But Turkish people (the people) does not want to fight with ANY of its neighbors and does not want Turkey or UN, EU, US and NATO to intervene ANY non-member countries INNER businesses.

new topics

top topics

join