It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apparently, 75% of Americans want to be Dragged Back to the Jim Crow Era

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by DZAG Wright

So if you know this...why fuss about voter fraud?

See how that works?

There is a certain percentage - not high, mind you, but a percentage - that are unable to see sarcasm and humor in some posts.

I'm looking at you when I say that, DZAG..

Need I say more?

edit on 13-6-2011 by mishigas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
ID's are cheap, and a non-issue. I don't understand the uproar.

dmvanswers.com...

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I can't believe what I read about voter ID, Jim Crow and discrimination. For real, wouldn't it be more discriminatory based on how a person looks, rather than the ID? Or to put it another way, being a mixed race person myself, I identify with being "black", does it matter what my ID shows when "they" can see what I look like when I arrive at the poll?

I don't get the issue personally. I'd rather show my ID so they know who I am and that they have the correct person.

Is identification required to register? The Help America Vote Act (HAVA), enacted by Congress in October of 2002, states that individuals registering to vote for the first time in the state/jurisdiction must provide either a valid California driver's license or state ID card number. Applicants who do not have either can provide the last four digits of their Social Security number. If the voter provides a driver’s license or state ID number when he/she registers to vote, and the number can be matched to a state record, then the voter will not be required to show ID when he/she votes.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
The Title of this kinda puzzles me...if 75% of the people want this,how is it thay they"wnat to be dragged"?...Its a great idea whose time has come....and asking for Id isnt falling back into Jim Crow because those laws were for blacks...voter iD is for everyones benefit

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Homedawg

The Title of this kinda puzzles me...if 75% of the people want this,how is it thay they"wnat to be dragged"?...Its a great idea whose time has come....and asking for Id isnt falling back into Jim Crow because those laws were for blacks...voter iD is for everyones benefit

Those are the words of Debbie Blabbermouth Schultz, head of the DNC and one of the 25% that oppose Voter ID's.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

Oh,OK...thanks for clearing it up...

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
the concept of this thread is untrue. In the jim crow era, blacks, etc. were stopped from voting because they were illiterate, etc. They had no legal recourse.
Here, there is a legal solution, namely: get an i.d. card. The fact that many seniors, etc, don't have one, is their fault. There is no comparison to the Jim Crow days here.
If people are too lazy to get an i.d. card, its no ones problem but their own. There's no prejudice here. not at all.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Antiquated1

Originally posted by mishigas I cannot think of a reason why someone would oppose Voter ID, except if they planned on using voter fraud to rig an election. Because they do not have an ID but still want to exercise their rights as an American citizen?

Who is responsible to exercise that right? Me? Anyone who starred your post should be ashamed. It is a pretty simple process to get a state I.D., at least if you are here legally. I am responsible for myself and my actions and the action to get a valid I.D. falls upon myself and no one else. If you want to participate in this Nation, take care of your responsibilities to be able to participate in it. Of course, you have the right, you also have the responsibility to first use it, and figure out the requirements.

How do these non-identified people get cigarettes and alcohol without I.D.? If it is required for that, voting responsibilities should be no different.
edit on 6/13/2011 by mugger because: add

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by cjdny

If someone can't bring themselves to make an effort to go to their local Sheriffs office to have a non driver ID issued they have absolutely no reason to vote.

Keep arguing about the effort it takes in response to my problem with cost and see how convincing that is.

What is wrong with people what makes them believe there is any reason for the perpetual easy button. If people feel this way get out, there is no need for you.

edit on 11-6-2011 by cjdny because: (no reason given)

What is wrong with people that makes them so afraid of something that never happens, they are willing to allow bigger government intrusion into our constitutional rights?

How about you try and convince us there is actually a problem here that this will solve.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by vor78

Originally posted by Antiquated1
I already agreed that free photo IDs would solve the problem.

Problem? Two pages ago you were complaining about the lack of proof of voter fraud. I'm not sure you even agree with yourself.

edit on 11-6-2011 by vor78 because: (no reason given)

Wow, good point.

The "problem" is people claiming that more ID be required. That would solve that problem.

I am more worried about the people in this thread that cannot understand simple sentences voting than any nonexistent voter fraud but even I do not advocate greater restraints on your right to vote.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by CrashUnderride

Everyone should be able to have SOME form of ID. Driver's License, work ID, college campus ID.... It's not really that hard to get one and what's wrong with havin' one?.

Everyone should eat more fruits and vegetables. Everyone should exercise more. Everyone should watch "Community." Opinions are fun. I never said there is anything wrong with having one.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas
My name is John Smith. How many of me are there in NYC?

There are just over 1000 John Smiths in NY State. Cannot say how many in NYC alone but I see you are not actually a voter. Why are so many non-voters speaking out on this?

My neighbor died/moved/is on vaca / is out of town. His name is on the roll. What's to stop me from using it?

The reality that swapping your vote for your neighbor is pretty stupid. Who is voting for you while you are claiming to be your neighbor?

I'm an illegal. I register the same day of voting. Then I go from precinct to precinct and do the same.

How did you register as an illegal alien? You have to prove who you are to register. If you voted, you would understand the difference between registering and voting. How does an illegal alien register to vote in any district, let alone many? How does an illegal register and then steal John Smith's vote, or your neighbor's vote? Have even one example of this fairy tale with no logic?

I know that you voted earlier in the day. I go to your name in the roll. I scream out that someone is attempting to commit fraud in my name.

Then you toss that entire polling place into chaos but you do not get to cast an extra vote. Try it when you finally vote that first time and let us know how it turns out for you.

Too many ways to scam the system.

edit on 11-6-2011 by mishigas because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-6-2011 by mishigas because: (no reason given)

Only because you do not seem to understand the registering and voting process. Many of you will be old enough, or finally get up from your PC one day and actually go vote. Then this will be a more productive discussion.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Ex. of NH Fraud

A blog with nothing to verify or check? Do I need to explain what the word "proof" means? Surely there were elections being overturned do to all this voter fraud. Why did you not show that? How about anything from law enforcement? The FEC?
edit on 14-6-2011 by Antiquated1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by daggyz

??? Are you saying there are Americans who have no ID available, ( the ones who are there illegaly)?

Yes, that is what I am saying. Facts can be stubborn little things but I backed this up on the first page of this thread. If you are incredulous then how about you present something counter.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by korathin

BS. I am calling those claims BS. No ID= No cig's, No Booze, No Job, No Welfare, No State assistance(you need a valid ID for all those things).

Your age is showing. You do not need an ID for cigs and booze unless you look like a little boy still plus not everyone smokes and drinks. You do not need photo ID for state assistance. You only need to prove you are who you say you are with government issued ID. A BC, SS card, and registered mail in your name is enough. Where is your data? Just your mistaken belief that everyone smokes and drinks but is still too young to buy either without ID?

This has more to do with getting illegals into the voting processes. I wouldn't be surprised if you were a member of La Raza.

Please explain how this allows illegals to get into the voting process and keep in mind that unlike most of you, I actually vote and understand how it works.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Google is your friend. Type "examples of voter fraud"; there's about 281,000 pages. Don't expect anyone to do your research for you.

Googling "Unicorns" yields 65,900,000 pages.

ATS should be more about discussing the facts and less about pretending there is a reality that fits your world view. When someone asks for the facts, why be so dismissive? We keep asking for the evidence that this is actually a problem and there is still not one answer being given. Googling things and doing a page count is genius.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by wasco2

Originally posted by Kitilani
Should we bring back literacy tests too in order to keep people like you at home?

We need to do something to limit the vote to educated, informed, and involved people.

The great thing about the US is that even morons get to vote. If the vote were limited to educated and informed people, then most of you in this thread would be out because this thread is a stunning display of ignorance about the voting process. Most of you cannot even get the difference between voting and registering.

Democracy's fatal flaw is: "Bread and Circuses is the cancer of democracy, the fatal disease for which there is no cure. Democracy often works beautifully at first. But once a state extends the franchise to every warm body, be he producer or parasite, that day marks the beginning of the end of the state. For when the plebs discover that they can vote themselves bread and circuses without limit and that the productive members of the body politic cannot stop them, they will do so, until the state bleeds to death". The quote is from Robert Heinlein but the concept was known as far back as the ancient Greeks.

Sounds great. I mostly like this part.

The Founding Fathers tried to avert this flaw by limiting the vote to white land owning males. Obviously that wouldn't fly today but there needs to be some qualification to vote beyond warm and breathing.

So glad to know you thought that was a good idea and we need a newer version of it. Why would the common man get a say, you want it limited to the most elite among us. From your posts so far, I would be more than willing to bet those elite are not going to slow down the bus enough to let you on just because you prostrate yourself for them.

Realistically it's already too late for the United States. Once you give the parasites the ability to vote themselves bread and circuses they won't give it up without a fight. Obama is a sure sign, among many, that the US is indeed headed for the dust bin of history.

Then what do you care.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by xXxtremelySecure
These are the three quote in this thread that best express my opinion, in Virginia you have had to present a photo ID since 2001...this is nothing new. I see no problem with this being made nationwide, in most state you need ID to receive welfare/foodstamps/unemployment.

Secure

You are lying

ATTENTION Registered Voters....Virginia voters are reminded that federal and state law require all voters to provide some identification (ID) at the polls, or sign a statement, in order to vote at the polls. ID requirements may also apply to absentee voters who vote in person. You can check the status of your voter registration and determine which ID requirement applies to you through our website, www.sbe.virginia.gov... at the tabs for Voter Information, Voter Registration Status. If you need assistance, please call us toll free at 1 (800) 552-9745 or Richmond local (804) 864-8901.
Virginia State Board of Elections

When you resort to making things up to justify your stance on something, your entire argument loses credibility.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by zenjewel

This proposal does not even address registration fraud so your entire argument only goes to help demonstrate what a straw man argument this is. I agree there is plenty of room for fraud with voter registration. Showing ID after the fact just to vote does not address that.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by kellynap43

Then maybe those groups of people can walk to the Court House and obtain one. You can obtain a photo ID from your local court house without having it be a license. It’s a pretty simple concept. Not hard to understand. Bring your ID card to vote. Much like I have to bring my ID to work every day or else be sent home. And the total cost is affordable to any class of people that know how save a penny, work, or read.

My pointing out that no one should have to PURCHASE anything in order to vote seems pretty simple to me but you missed it completely.

I think the government should go a step further. I think they should make every citizen pass a test in order to have the right to vote.

If it has anything to do with reading comprehension, most of you would fail. I never said anything about the effort, my problem is cost. You do seem to forget though that how easy it is now, is not how easy it will be once there is a political motivation to alter that too. Most people in this thread keep confusing voting with registration, many have failed to read that article fully, and many more have demonstrated little no understanding of the actual process being discussed. I would like to see those tests. Maybe you can whip up an example of what you think should be on them.

That seems like a good thread idea. How about you patriots get together and design that test at least as a thought exercise? Just a thought.

Too many people do not know enough history and political science to make an informed decision. Too many people vote on party basis alone without reading (which many don’t even know how to do) on what the politicians actually stand for. Or for the simple basis that they have promised me that they will "pay my mortgage" and they actually believe it. People who don’t educate themselves, can’t think for themselves, or who are actually dumb enough to believe politicians promising them the world, don’t deserve to vote. Let’s first have people contribute to this country and be a part of it before you can participate in its election process.

I agree. All I am saying is that I thought you guys were all about the constitution but here so many of you are, advocating we return to a time when certain segments of the population were singled out as not as good as others. If that is the US you guys want back, just be open about it. Be clear about it. Tell us who you would cull from the herd. If I am too stupid to vote, what else can you limit for me? What about when it is my party's turn to decide who is smart enough to vote? How will you like seeing all those people be disqualified because they now insist that Paul Revere was someone "who who warned the British they will not be takin' our arms with his shots and bells." That is going to suck, huh?

And one more thing, this isnt being "drugged back", this is going back to a time were mistakes made, but not all of them. And this ID requirement , is not a mistake. It was common sense. Something the liberal party lacks very much of.

Too bad you are not going to be allowed to vote for using the word "drugged" the way you did and naming a party that does not exist. By your standards that would disqualify you.

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join