It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apparently, 75% of Americans want to be Dragged Back to the Jim Crow Era

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
As long as identification cards cost money, a requirement for them to vote technically classifies as a poll tax. Though I'm not opposed to the idea necessarily, I'm uncertain if it would pass legal muster.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_
Problem easily solved with very little effort on the part of the voter. Get ID! Go to your local municipality and get a copy of your birth certificate, or just simply go down and apply for a state ID. There problem solved and now you can vote like the rest of us.

Both cost money and birth certificates have never had a photo on them.

Geesh how lazy can people be, I mean really.
And please don't come back with the argument that some people have no record of their birth.

I never said that. Can you show me a photo ID birth certificate and what state issues such a thing? Do not put words in my posts I did not say to make an argument. That is a huge sign of lacking on the part of your argument.

There are ways to get ID, and if they want to vote or need ID that badly they would do it. In most states now you are required to carry identification with you anyhow, so they would be doing themselves a favor.

Yes, there are many way to get ID but you are not required by law to have have one. They cost money.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer
As long as identification cards cost money, a requirement for them to vote technically classifies as a poll tax. Though I'm not opposed to the idea necessarily, I'm uncertain if it would pass legal muster.

While your response is a great argument point, I think that linking the 2 together is splitting very fine hairs.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Antiquated1

Originally posted by daddyroo45
reply to post by Antiquated1

What is the problem with a photo id ?

They are not free nor handed out because you exist.

Most people I know take their face with them wherever they go. I am not advocating RFID by any means,but a simple photo id,come on. What right is that infringing upon ?

That would be the government forcing everyone to purchase something, wouldn't it?

Yep they are not free.....Probably cost as much as a case of Corona !!!...Forcing you to purchase...No ! you still have the right to not get an id or vote for that matter..So far as the poorest of the poor not having the money to afford an id. How do they get Gov assistance without an id ?

link   

No, it would not. Georgia does it; other states could follow their model:

If you do not have one of the six acceptable forms of photo ID, the State of Georgia offers a FREE Voter Identification Card. An identification card can be issued at any county registrar's office or Department of Driver Services Office free of charge.

Free Voter ID

link   

Originally posted by mike_trivisonno

An individual's presence at the polling place does not imply of confer citizenship.

I never said it did but I bet when you showed up and found someone had already signed your registration for you, you would notice right quick.

And just to be just, citizens accepting federal or state assistance should not be eligible to participate in the election process. Only employed, tax-paying citizens over the age of 25 should be able to vote.

I am not even going to pretend to entertain that argument for a moment.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Here in NC...to get a simple document..ie car title, will, boat title, a legal aggreement, even a receipt notarized...you must present a photo ID.

When you make a purchase in many retail outlets and use a check or a credit card...you may at times have to show a photo ID.

To get into a movie and look underage but are not...or to buy beer or cigarettes...you may have to show photo ID.

As such, certainly with the problem of ID theft, illegal immigration and the FACT that in many munincipalities..NY...Chicago...even dead people turn out to vote...a photo ID should be required.

That goes for white, black, asian, hispanic, etc...now if it applies to all...how can that be racists?

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Problem easily solved with very little effort on the part of the voter. Get ID! Go to your local municipality and get a copy of your birth certificate, or just simply go down and apply for a state ID. There problem solved and now you can vote like the rest of us.

And please don't come back with the argument that some people have no record of their birth.

I never said that. Can you show me a photo ID birth certificate and what state issues such a thing? Do not put words in my posts I did not say to make an argument. That is a huge sign of lacking on the part of your argument.

There are ways to get ID, and if they want to vote or need ID that badly they would do it. In most states now you are required to carry identification with you anyhow, so they would be doing themselves a favor.

Yes, there are many way to get ID but you are not required by law to have have one. They cost money.

Getting a copy of your SSN or birth certificate cost money as well.

The argument that it costs money is really a weak argument. As it will cost something, time and/or money to go cast the vote, and cost money to provide residence (power bill or mortgage bill).
To go get a $5-$10 state issued ID should not be a big deal, as almost any employer needs a Photo ID, you need one for a library card, to cash a check, open a bank account.
They have the ID. It is just a ridiculous talking point.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by macman

While your response is a great argument point, I think that linking the 2 together is splitting very fine hairs.

The only way to unlink the two is to make photo ID free for everyone. Are you ok with that? It will probably mean a tax hike somewhere.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Perhaps so, but I did hear this argument presented when the debate over this issue came to Georgia. I believe they ultimately issued free ID cards to seniors and others to comply.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by mike_trivisonno

An individual's presence at the polling place does not imply of confer citizenship.

I never said it did but I bet when you showed up and found someone had already signed your registration for you, you would notice right quick.

There are states where voter fraud is rampant. Illinois, for example, where dead people, animals, and others vote. The old saw "Vote early, vote often" is very true.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

The only way to unlink the two is to make photo ID free for everyone. Are you ok with that? It will probably mean a tax hike somewhere.

So that is the only option? For someone else to pay for it?
What ever happened to people being responsible and taking care of themselves?
Why not save up the $10 and get it?

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

Yes, I gave the link above.:

www.sos.georgia.gov...

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Perhaps so, but I did hear this argument presented when the debate over this issue came to Georgia. I believe they ultimately issued free ID cards to seniors and others to comply.

And that is the choice of Georgia, I am all for States rights. Not per mandate via Fed Govt.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
The argument also suggests that the only poor people, or mass population of poor people are black. How ignorant.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   

I live in Michigan, and as another poster already pointed out all you need is a birth certificate and SS card, you take that down and apply for your voters registration card. It is a free card and all you need to cast your vote. They take your card and mark you off the list when you show up to vote, so that you cannot vote twice. I am sure there are many other states that do this very same thing.
edit on 6/10/2011 by SpaDe_ because: duh

link   

And that is based upon the false premiss that they don't have said ID.
I find it very very difficult to believe that someone 18yrs old or older does not either already have a photo ID or means to get one.

link   

Originally posted by mishigas
I cannot think of a reason why someone would oppose Voter ID, except if they planned on using voter fraud to rig an election.

Because they do not have an ID but still want to exercise their rights as an American citizen?
Real "AMERICAN" citizens have easy access to I.D.'s they simply go to your friendly neighborhood driver's license office, show proof of residency/citizenship/birth certificate, pay your $15 dollars and they take your picture and give you a valid I.D.

What is the problem with this scenario?????

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Seriously? If they can't afford $15 bucks for an I.D. they have bigger issues than voting!

Lets face the facts, Democrats like their illegal voters.
Why lie?

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
A state issued photo ID is 12 bucks where I live. In my opinion, it is worth 12 bucks to be able to utilize my right to vote. Not only that, but most of us already have this ID. You have to have it to drive
Of course, there are those of us who have lost the driving privlige but even then, its VERY inexpensive to get a state issued photo ID. There is absolutly nothing racist or racially motivated about that.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join