It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Do Animals Think of Us?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

We visited Ziggy while he was alive about 14 times. Many times when he would see us coming, if he wasn't chained, he would walk up to greet us.

Ziggy had been around humans for at least 40 years. You would have to be deaf dumb and stupid to not be around hundreds, thousands of people everyday, listening to them and not picking up language.

No, that day when he turned, walked over and stood directly in front of me and looked into my eyes, he knew exactly what I was saying to him.

His expression, his eyes were full of sadness and yet he knew I was trying to show these boys that animals aren't stupid, non emotional creatures.

I talk to my dog a lot, just like I use to talk to my kids when they were little..........I'm a chatter box my husband says it drives him nuts.

Here is a picture of my last dog, Odie who we got at 4-5 years of age - we had him for 15 years and he passed away on July 19, 2010. The vet says he was around 18-20 years of age. The picture below is from 2005.

He was laying on the couch and was a real camera ham...............I had asked him to sit up pretty for mama.

Tell me he didn't know English.

Odie 1990-1992? to Monday, July 19, 2010.

Being around humans, long enough that talk daily to them, particularly even a half way intellegent animal, I think they pick up quite a bit of language.

I talk to my new rescue Pointer Lucy (Who absolutely hates being photographed or filmed) and the other day she actually came to me, I started scratching her and she said "outtttt". She didn't come up to be scratched, she had to pee and let me know it.

I suspect people don't really want to know how intellegent animals really are and how many (not all of them) think deeper than we realize about things.

Ziggy's bones are in a storage vault at the Museum of Natural History in Chicago. They did not erect a memorial to him nor did they want to spend the time or money to stuff and display him.

Their loss and bad judgement.

Ziggy was truely an extraordinary being...............not just a big dumb pachyderm.

No, I wouldn't have crawled in his enclosure and hugged him, a wild animal is a wild animal and a really big one is dangerous.

Oh he was magnificent, truly a sight to behold and his eyes, to me anyway denoted a being that had way more intellegence than most people realized.

I miss my Odie but feel by adopting Lucy and saving another dog from being gassed in Georgia (sorry folks most animals are still gassed the needle is too expensive) I have honored Odie's memory.

God, how I miss my Odie. And I don't go to Brookfield Zoo anymore.............I no longer will pay to condone the imprisonment of animals.

Now Lucy, she grumbled the last rain we had, oh she &itched about the rain and having to go out potty. I had to promise her two treats and dry her off with a towel in hand before she would go out. But she understood me bribing her alright.

If this message reaches just one person, just one of you out there................please please please, adopt, rescue, don't buy from a pet store as pet stores support puppy mills like the one Lucy came from and was given over to a high kill shelter at 6 years of age because the puppy mill guy got tired of her and wanted a younger, flashier model of Pointer.

You can get a pure bred dog or cat from a shelter if you must have a pure bred. I got another Pointer because Odie was so intellegent. I couldn't begin to tell you the stories of how smart this dog was.

And yes, Lucy clearly said "outtttttt" to me July 9th at approximately 10AM C/T.

edit on 13-6-2011 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by reesie45

You, I was shocked!
Lucy clearly said "outttt". We've only had her since March 2011.

She pretty much is so easy to care for because she comes and gets you and like my Odie did, let's you know what she needs.

Again, I was totally floored when her gruffy little voice said, "outtttttttt".

What in sam heck I wonder do they think of us?

Well, I know Lucy knows we love her and she is our princess, no more doggy prison, treated like a thing for her.

Now, I will warn you. Adopting a dog that has been mistreated or simply left in a kennel with no human contact (Lucy had an automatic watering / feeding system). In the beginning she was shy, scared and mistrusting. But with time, patience and love, a lot of love and talking to her in a soothing, calm, loving voice and petting her when she wanted to be petted, she has come around. Now she can't get enough hugs, kisses and touching. She's making up for lost time, all those six years of being in a kennel, untouched, unloved, unspoken too.

It will take time, time for a rescue dog to learn to trust that not all humans are heartless. But the rewards are worth it. Her first kiss, her first, "I want to be hugged", gosh, her first word
Again, I am still shocked she spoke.

She is one of the lucky ones. Here in America we kill approximately 8-10 million dogs and cats a year because there aren't enough good homes.

Please adopt, please rescue - don't buy from a pet shop.

WARNING: Sometimes the truth is not pretty..............but sometimes the truth must be known - must be addressed and must be rectified.

Spay Neuter and Adop/Rescue.................do not keep breeding more dogs and cats while millions end up in barrels to be rendered..............yes rendered.

Do the research into what happens to shelter dogs, the majority do not get a nice comfy home. They are treated like trash, like things. What do they think of us? You tell me.

edit on 13-6-2011 by ofhumandescent because: grammar

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by seentoomuch

Wow what a experience. I am sure you actually shared your cat's dream..............some kind of psychic connection or special bond.

If your avatar is your cat he/she is beautiful.

Be careful letting your cat run loose.

I didn't know it but my vet told me that cats allowed outdoors can also get heartworm and it's fatal for cats so cats like dogs should get heartworm medicine every month.

My son's Jack Cat (26 pounds and he's chubby but not fat fat) stays indoors because our vet says cats that stay in doors tend to live longer. Jack is about 20 years old and still going strong. He is a Domestic Gray with yellow eyes.

Quite a guy, I think he thinks he is human. Once my other son's Mastiff, Zeus (220 lbs) ran over to play with Jack upon meeting him and Jack did not back down, he stood his ground, growled and let this 220 lb dog know whose house this was.

They eventually became friends, but always on Jack's terms. Odie (our beloved dog) and Jack got along well.

My own experience has been that animals (dogs/cats) won't betray or use you like people do.

And yes, they have lived along side of man for millions of years and like man is evolving so are they.

I just hope they don't become more like humans.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Thanks for sharing your dream. I've often wondered what my cats are thinking when thet drop off their prey by the door for me to see. I know that they are proud of their catch and sharing this with me means a lot to them, but i'm always initially horrified for the poor little animal that got caught by one of my cats. I mean, I know this is nature and it's part of the cycle of life on the planet, but still, I'm a pacifist and I can't stand to see anything suffer. It's really cool to read this activity from your kitties perspective!

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Have enjoyed reading this thread OP.. I have always tried to put myself in their 'paws' so to speak
Wonder the same thing at times!

What do animals think of us? I can only imagine...lol depends on who it is.

I agree with you ...Animals are instinctive, but also capable of feeling , thinking and so much more than we give them credit. They have more 'senses' to be studied.

Heard just today, on the radio, there was a study done with dogs and cats to see how psychic they are with who would be most likely to feed them. The dogs did very well but the cats did even better, in that they were more ''attuned'' to the energies of the people and went DIRECTLY to the ones that would feed them.. -the animal lovers.

God is awesome in his creation and design, huh?!

ofhumandescent: Sorry for your loss on Odie, but glad you now have Lucy.

I have two rescues - see my avatar. They are truly a blessing and Godsend. The world would be a better place if we could just LOVE... All creatures are special....
edit on 16-6-2011 by SeekerLou because: (no reason given)

To add: I must have been sending out love
....Just went out to check my mail and there was a loose dog in the neighborhood across the street. As soon as I stepped outside the door, we noticed each other. I talked lovingly to him and kept walking toward the box . He came over and we 'communicated' respect /love for one another. Man, that was kind of neat. .. just right after this post!
edit on 16-6-2011 by SeekerLou because: To add:

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   

That is amazing that you dreamed that! I always wonder what my cat thinks of us. I hope she loves me like I love her. I am just dumbfounded by your ability to see your cat's point of view and the fact that you probably shared her dream is awesome. I'm so glad you shared!

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
After an intoxicating night, I became more like an animal, and really, humans appeared quite harmless to me, however, they definitley have some issues to sort out with themselves.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
What Do Animals Think of Us?

Some interesting bird studies ......

Birds Can Tell If You Are Watching Them - Because They Are Watching You

Julia Carter, a PhD student at the University of Bristol, and her colleagues, set up experiments that showed starlings will keep away from their food dish if a human is looking at it. However, if the person is just as close, but their eyes are turned away, the birds resumed feeding earlier and consumed more food overall

Crows tell the world who`s bad

John Marzluff of the University of Washington in Seattle discovered five years ago that crows can recognise individual humans who posed a threat. He briefly trapped American crows (Corvus brachyrhynchos) on his university's campus while wearing a distinctive "caveman" mask. Afterwards, crows that had been trapped scolded anyone they spotted wearing the caveman mask, following them around and cawing harshly, but studiously ignored people wearing a neutral mask.

Two weeks after the trapping, 26 per cent of crows scolded people wearing the offending mask, but 2.7 years later a remarkable 66 per cent did so. In the fifth year of the study, Marzluff barely got 50 metres out of his office in the caveman mask before a mob of crows started scolding him. The behaviour also gradually spread outwards from the original trapping site. Copycat crows Even young crows, who were not born when the original trapping happened, learned to scold people wearing the caveman mask by copying their parents.

They certainly know how to bear a grudge !

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

I know what animals think when they see me.

Dinner is coming. That goes for my pets, and the random wild things I feed, as well as the larger carnivorous animals who mean that in a slightly more sinister way.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join