It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia threatens military response if NATO continues their non-cooperation on missile shield

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
This happened 4 days ago...
Russia softens stance on missile defence: report

"The situation has very much changed: If before in relation to the missile defence we used to say 'no, no and no', now we're saying 'yes but on certain conditions'," Russian Deputy Defence Minister Anatoly Antonov told the newspaper.

They asked for this information :

Russia wants details like the maximum amount and types of interceptor missiles, their speed as well as locations for missiles and radars should be to spelled out in a cooperation treaty, the report said.

If the missile shield was REALLY not aimed at Russia, it would be quite easy to provide this info to them right?

Then a few days ago this happened :
NATO chief rejects Russia's missile defence proposal

NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen on Tuesday bluntly rejected a Russian proposal to end a dispute on missile defence that threatens a rapprochement between Moscow and the Western alliance.

Russia has indicated it would be ready to drop its opposition to NATO installing missile defence facilities in ex-Communist eastern Europe if it provided legal guarantees the system would not be directed against Russia.

At least now NATO is honest about their position. It took them years, but they finally admitted it.

Russia says NATO not listening on missile shield

"It would be in the interest of Russia to engage in a positive cooperation with NATO and focus on real security challenges instead of some ghosts of the past that don't exist anymore," Rasmussen said.

Basically, forget the missile shield... it's TOTALLY not against you, even if we plan THOUSANDS of interceptors... just TRUST US... Right....

Russia ain't buying NATO's crap...
Missile Defense: Moscow threatens military response

Moscow (dpa) - The dispute over a NATO missile defense system in Central Europe, Russia has threatened a military response in case of failure of the talks. "If we are not NATO guarantees that the system is not directed against Russia, we will respond fully," warned Russia's NATO envoy Dmitry Rogozin on Friday, according to the Interfax news agency.

At the recent meeting with NATO defense ministers he had heard "empty words," he criticized. Recently Kremlin leader Dmitry Medvedev had a withdrawal from the START agreement with the United States threatened to nuclear disarmament, should negotiations fail.

Russia will not accept NATO's missile defense terms, readying military-technical response - Rogozin

Cold War 2, here we go... who's gonna go bankrupt first this time?

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
The fact that they all want a missile shield is a good indication that they never want to get rid of ALL THE NUKES.

I am glad I don´t have kids to explain to why this world is such a mess.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
it is really hard to blame russia for having their stance.

"hey guys, we're cool with the missle shield as long as you can prove its not to use against us"

"no, no way"

So if you cant prove its not to use against russia then......................it is to use against russia?

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Russia needs to build a missile/military installation in Venezuela and Iran, and N.Korea. I'd think those countries would welcome that.
The US thinks it runs the world.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Is it not already provocative enough that NATO has been kept alive even after its true purpose of being had been removed? Well perhaps they never seen their true purpose actually die like we thought it did. Perhaps NATO does not seek friendship with Russia but rather still see them as the same foe, the same global threat, that they were seen as since the 1940s.

Russia I do believe has been willing to drop much of the whole Cold War mentality (much, not all) and is even coming to terms with NATO being on its border (Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia). They were even being flexible on the missile defense shield proposal for Eastern Europe, going so far as to only lay down the basic rule that it be guaranteed the missiles are not intended for Russia. However their open hand has been met with a clenched fist.

They now are readying their military and technology for any possible events which could occur. Any future conflict between the West and Russia should now be known as something which was 100% avoidable and the West was intentionally leading the world on collision course with war.

Hopefully nothing comes from this other than provocative words. The world could not afford another great war in Europe. Countless lives and treasure would be lost for no reason other than a stubborn and obnoxious NATO which cannot leave the ghosts of the past where they belong.

But as I had said let's hope nothing comes from this as I do not expect anything to.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I wouldn’t provide Russia with that information at all, especially with who her allies are. Russia is an ally of Iran (and since they are sovereign they can choose their own friends, just as we can). The missile shield is designed to stop a few missiles, not a few hundred missiles with mervs attached to them.

How can we be sure, if we provide Russia with the requested information, that they would not turn around and supply it to Iran or Syria?

The point behind the shield is deterrence. Even disclosing the location of the radars or missile sites opens the possibility of them being targeted and taken out prior to any type of launch. Before people say Iranian missiles can’t reach the US. Iran and North Korea have been cooperating on their programs, and this has been documented by the IAEA. The shield is not just a defense shield for the US, but Europe as well.

In my opinion Russia is just pissed because it’s the popular thing to do. The Russians know our missile defense shield is not designed, nor capable, of countering a nuclear attack on the scale that Russia could launch.

The argument can be made that Russia is just looking out for her own security interests. A valid point, but aren’t we allowed to do the same?

Exactly when did the National Security of the United States fall to countries other than the US?

If Russia doesn’t like it, then they are free to develop their own missile defense shield (which they already had one operational back during the cold war, when the US and The Soviet Union both agreed to allow one city to have a defense. In our case, we never built one, in the Russian case it was near Moscow.

When we withdrew from the ABM treaty, it freed Russia of the same obligation for an ABM shield.

edit on 10-6-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

The missile shield is designed to stop a few missiles, not a few hundred missiles with mervs attached to them.

Without disclosure how would Russia know for sure that the missiles are only defensive??
They could have offensive missiles instead, targeted at Russian sites...

It's a dangerous game they play...

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Why are the Russians so worried about this?

The real missile defenses are in place and ready now, thanks to several X-37B missions.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Seems to be like Russia is doing to NATO exactly what the west has done to Iraq, Iran, Libya, etc. Russia know where the missiles are aimed, they are not stupid. So if theres any truth to any of this, looks like we're in for some serious #.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

Maybe Russia think its time the west was taught a lesson, after the way Libya has played out. Isnt it a shame, that just like in Libya and all the other countries occupied by the west, the majority that suffer because of this will be the general public, who have nothing to do with the evils carried out by the elite.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

The missile shield is designed to stop a few missiles, not a few hundred missiles with mervs attached to them.

Without disclosure how would Russia know for sure that the missiles are only defensive??
They could have offensive missiles instead, targeted at Russian sites...

It's a dangerous game they play...

Because they have a military delegation to NATO. Also, as I said before, the systems capabilities are not designed as a defense for a nation with a first strike capability like Russia. Its designed for rogue missile launches. N. Korea has balisitic missile technology that can reach the US. Iran and N. Korea have cooperated with their programs. Iran has missiles that can now reach parts of Western Europe.

As I said, Russia is free to do what they want. We will do whats best for our national security, and russia can do whats best for theirs. With Russia assiting Iran on their nucler program, i wont be holding my breath about cooperating with them on this issue.

As far as the comment about possible offensive capabilities.... Thats too simplistic to be honest... A rock can have offensive capabilities.
edit on 10-6-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

With Russia assiting Iran on their nucler program, i wont be holding my breath about cooperating with them on this issue.

Same old line..
And then I say, "I'm more worried about the nukes Israel already have than the ones Iran may or may not get."

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Firefly_
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

Maybe Russia think its time the west was taught a lesson, after the way Libya has played out. Isnt it a shame, that just like in Libya and all the other countries occupied by the west, the majority that suffer because of this will be the general public, who have nothing to do with the evils carried out by the elite.

if russia went on to win that war, they'd tell tales of the evil 'nazi'tionalist americans who invaded iraq and libya with the US concentration camps for the poor muslims

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Personally Vitchilo i wouldn't mind if the russians started liberating all of eupore from Americas and British occupation.
What america and NATO, the EU is doing is occupation Vitchilo

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by tom502

last time they put missles in our hemisphere we almost all died rember the cuban missle crisis? that nice embargo we still for some reason have against cuba..and im honestly not even sure if its still enforced but what about the Monroe doctrine dosent that say pretty much south america is USA's back yard?(not trying to justafy it just its what i think i learend in history)
and hey just as a crack pot theory what if the reason we dont say where there pointed at(besides russia etc) is cuz alot of them are gonna be pointed at china? problay wrong area but still just a theory

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Because they have a military delegation to NATO. Also, as I said before, the systems capabilities are not designed as a defense for a nation with a first strike capability like Russia. Its designed for rogue missile launches.

What ya don't understand is that Russia is afraid of a NATO first strike.

And the missile shield, in the end stage, has THOUSANDS of interceptors... Like they need that against crappy NKorean and Iranian missiles. Give me a break.

Russia is afraid of this :

NATO FIRST STRIKE... taking out a large portion of Russian nuclear forces... they know the Russian military cannot compete with NATO conventional military, they would get wiped out.

Then let's say Russia has 100-150 missiles left from the first strike... that is if they can launch... they launch... let's say 10 make it through... NATO has conquered Russia and only lost a dozen cities... acceptable losses.

The missile shield is not to stop hundreds of Russian nuclear missiles, it's to stop what's left of the Russian arsenal after a first strike.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
the missle defence system should be extended to cover russia too. whats the big deal, extend an olive branch instead...

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Hm,me likes to connect Dots

The Stage is Set,all Pieces are about to slip into Place:

Ask yourself, why they are are trying to piss off Russia with this "Missile Shield" at a Time when we have bigger Problems to worry about?

Here is why:

With the intervention in Syria by NATO,(a already pissed off) Russia could declare War on NATO/US. Now we have to force China to stay out of a War. How? Let the US Default,this would pretty much cripple the Economy of China. The US could still stage a War,since its Military is strong enough and placed everywhere around the World...

China would have enough Problems with Unrests everywhere since its Population is too big. And their Neighboors could take advantage of the Situation to invade. If that doesn´t work that well,there is still the Nuclear Crisis in Japan (which could get much worse,giving China even more Problems...) And lets not forget the Korean Crisis,if that goes off,China would have another Problem with the S-Korea/US Military on its Doorstep (after they demolished N-Korea of course...).

Europe/NATO would have its own Problems with a worsening Debt Crisis and the Military trying to control the Middle East,which could go worse if Israel and/or Iran decide to take advantage of the Situation. If the US defaults (to cripple China as i said above),the bigger European Countrys have to join the War to survive it in the long Term (War creates Jobs among other things) or face Unrests and Civil Wars...

Ask yourself,who has the most Ressources (Oil,Gas...). Hint: Its not Africa,the Middle East or America...

And to stay on Topic (again),this "Missile Shield" BS is just to piss off Russia,nothing more

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

I tend to agree that this missile shield BS is nothing more than a really long stick to poke the Russian Bear.

Besides, both Iran and NK really do not have the capability to launch nuclear missiles at that range with enough accuracy to matter. So NATO's fears have no real standing, and the Russians know this. Plus, if I was in charge of Russia, frankly I wouldn't want one of those NK pieces of junk flying over my airspace.

new topics

top topics

join