It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Once a Mason always a Mason?(Former Mason)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by mickee

While this is not the topic, I have to say please don't think that the way your lodge handled this situation is the way everyone feels. Unfortunately there are people in this world who fear what they don't understand. I have known some very racist masons, but that is not the message that is to be sent in freemasonry. We are supposed to look at the internal qualities of a man and not the external. (hypocrites exist everywhere) The teachings of free masonry are still the same and you are no less of a mason than I for any reason. I hope you find a lodge that has some open minded folks. I would be proud to call you brother either way.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by chief_counsellor

I am a confirmed catholic and a mason. I have not been acitve in the church since confirmation eons ago. If I am ex-communicated from the church so be it. Once you know what free masonry teaches, it's hard to understand why anyone would have a problem with it. The vatican said it's ok to believe in UFO's so maybe in time they will accept brotherly love as well.

You don't even have to become a mason to be a brother though. I have met many people who were masons and didn't know it yet. If what is in your heart is right, the rest is just lipstick on a pig. Have a great day brother.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Choronzon

I understand your opinion and respect that, but why is it necessary to skip straight to name calling?

It's the trademark of a limited intellect.

Concerning Mickee's post, that is unfortunate. You may wish to shop around for a more progressive Lodge, such as a Traditional Observance Lodge.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by greshnik

The "Almighty" who Masons serve is not the same as the Almighty of Christians. Masons serve dark forces, same as communists (see the pentagram sign). Most of the masons are stupid and don't even know this...or they just pretend not to know it.

You know greshnik, a person who seemed reasonably intelligent once had this to say. It's pretty good advice and I strongly suggest you heed it.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by mickee

That is an unfortunate occurence and I empathize with your situation. We have openly gay members in my lodge and one is currently i the officer line so this type of reaction is not universal. As another Brother correctly pointed out many predjudices are contingent upon the prevailing sentiments of the place in which the individual resides. If you could join another lodge where this behavior was not tolorated I would be happy to call you Brother. Let me know if I can help in any way.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by mickee
It seems as though Freemasons have a "don't ask - don't tell" policy on homosexuality...

This is completely dependent on your lodge, and your area. I live in an area that has lodges that go from very very redneck, to very very urban elitest. The sad thing is not all lodges have the same values, even while stating the same philosophy.

Masonic philosophy in NO way bars homosexuals, but let's face it masonry is full of a lot of good old boys, and military men who do have an issue.

It's been my observation the younger the lodge the more the homophobia dissappears.....it's a generational thing....and in time will pass. Go look for a more urban lodge if possible. Even in the south I know several lodges that would accept you as brother.

I'd like to add the same thing can be said of Christian churches. Christians that actually embrace the teachings of Christ would also call you brother. However as we know many Christians do NOT follow the humility, and compassion in Christ's message.

[edit on 22/4/2009 by ForkandSpoon]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ForkandSpoon

I am, obviously, an outsider. The 'Gay' issue caught my eye, and am glad to hear that, like in many diverse communities, the Masons also have their various 'factions', for wont of a better term....

But, again, as a naive outsider....this seems to be an exclusive 'boys' club?

So, if not 'homophobic' in all situations....it is still 'exclusive' as to gender?

I know, I know....Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts....etc.

No need to explain, just throwing out the question. Not prying, just wondering....and, again....no need to respond, if it violates any oaths....

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Personally I feel it should remain an all boys club, as it's ultimate purpose is building better "men", there are other orginizations best suited for women to become better women.

It's not about equality, it's about recognizing men and women are biologically different, and have different roles in a family. The wether they should or should not be allowed is a longer discussion. I don't think girls should be in the boyscouts either, or boys in the girlscouts. I think there is plenty of psychological evidence on both counts as to why they function better for their purpose as male or female only. (mainly due to how men act around women in my experience, their inability to be themselves in that setting.)

That said, not all Masons agree with me. Some states allow women masons. Massachusetts for example, and as best as i can figure it, if one of them came to our lodge we would have to acknowledge she is a true and non clandestine mason. They are recognized by the Grand Lodge of England and that is good enough for me. There are many more clandestine masonic organizations that are NOT recognized as true masonic lodges, who allow women.

However I imagine many of our older members would walk out in protest if a Woman Massachusett's Mason, walked into lodge, as is their right.....but they would still be bound by their oath to treat her in all respect as a mason. Shunning is about the most they could do in protest.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Thank you, ForkandSpoon, for explaining, in a very adult manner, without divulging any secrets....excellent.

BTW, this wasn't some sort of test....I honestly have NO idea, just asked a respectful (I hope) question, and you responded respectfully.

I feel satisfied by your answer...I see that there IS inclusivity....even if it doesn't happen every time.

Oh, for clarity...I am male...and homosexual....not that that should matter, eh? (Bring it up because I am NOT some woman on a misson, nor am I a Gay Guy on a mission)....just a person asking, with nothing more than a passing interest.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Thank you, I beleive in TRUTH.

The only thing that matters most really in my view, is as a rational and accountable being in whom do you put your trust.

All masons SHOULD have one answer.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
reply to post by mickee

While this is not the topic, I have to say please don't think that the way your lodge handled this situation is the way everyone feels.

Actually it does. I demitted because I no longer felt 'as good as the others - which of course is not true. So I feel that even though I have demitted, I am still a Mason - I still try to follow Masonic ways - that is being a better man and looking for knowledge.

I had spoken to the Grand Secretary about my dilema, prior to coming out (Not to everyone at my Lodge, mind you.. but to a select group of friends) and he said I might want to re-think telling telling anyone - - so by going against his advice, (and being truthful, I might add), I did tell a few brothers... the rest is as they say... history.

Thanks, for the advice... I am indeed looking and hoping to find a Lodge that is progressive. My Mother was a York Rite Lodge with a great position in the Grand Lodge of Manitoba.. and that at the time I became a Mason - petitioned that Lodge because they were the most active - andstill are -- now I am in Saskatoon - perhaps there is a Lodge here that would accept me (as the name implies (AF & AM - 'Accepted')

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by mickee

good luck brother. And just remember, God put stupid people here for our amusement. Lets make sure we honor him by laughing at them every once in a while.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by mickee

Manitoba and then Saskatoon? What're you gonna do for an encore? Red Deer?

All kibitzing aside, the situation sounds like it sucked completely and I'm sorry to hear about the situation you were thrust into. In this day and age, we take the acceptance for granted but as others have pointed out, the rate of change isn't universal. The acceptance of a person's sexual orientation as having no special bearing on their worth as an individual is barely a generation old and will continue to meet resistance (diminishing I expect) for some time to come. If it's any consolation at all, you're beating a path that will make it less onerous for others in the future and even though being a pioneer isn't the easiest task, it does yield its own special rewards.

Whatever you do, don't lose faith.

HTH
Fitz

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker

I am, obviously, an outsider. The 'Gay' issue caught my eye, and am glad to hear that, like in many diverse communities, the Masons also have their various 'factions', for wont of a better term....

But, again, as a naive outsider....this seems to be an exclusive 'boys' club?

So, if not 'homophobic' in all situations....it is still 'exclusive' as to gender?

I know, I know....Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts....etc.

No need to explain, just throwing out the question. Not prying, just wondering....and, again....no need to respond, if it violates any oaths....

Its a mens club...but we do have numerous public nights with both genders present...and theres also the Order of the Eastern Star which is a unisex masonic affiliate...masonry is a mens club only really because it started as one (stone masons were all men)...and free masonry is rich on traditions...nothing homophobic about it...

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I am a former Mason.

I have nothing but fond memories of my time within Freemasonry, both of the fellowship and personal development that I experienced therein.

Why did I leave?

A simple, somewhat sad, matter of atheism. I no longer believe in God, nor in any Higher Power. I sure would like to... I mean, I was raised in a Christian household, and a supportive and extremely decent Christian community. I dig many Christians and find them to be lovely people. I love the idea of a caring Creator and Saviour, and a paradisical afterlife...

...but I can't find it within myself to believe in the doctrine. It's just not there.

So, in good conscience, I couldn't remain a Freemasonry in violation of the prerequisite of Deism.

Cheers.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Roark

A simple, somewhat sad, matter of atheism. I no longer believe in God, nor in any Higher Power.

Ah, my Brother, let not the siren song of materialism be an obstacle on the Path! Matter is not eternal; it had its beginning at the Big Bang.

Before the Big Bang was, I AM.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by LTD602
Masonry REQUIRES a lifetime membership fee, and if you want (optional), a monthly lodge due. It also requires a man to meet the conditions expressed previously on different threads.

Lodge's require an annual payment to stay in good standing; not a lifetime (that is optional)

reply to post by amike555

I like that.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by amike555
Sorry, I have a different view on this. Once a Mason, always a Mason, could mean that Freemasons hold certain morals and ethics that one will never lose. If you have learned anything of moral or ethical value, it is very likely that you will not forget it and therefore you will always be a Mason in this regard. This definitely does not mean that you are forever bound to Freemasonry; it simply means that you will always carry with you the morals and values which you have learned. (which is a good thing)

Any thoughts?

nice.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Never a Mason. Still a Mason.

Did you just not "get it"?

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Roark

I respect you immensely for your decision.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join