It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Once a Mason always a Mason?(Former Mason)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Are there any other former masons here? That left the order for some reason or another?

I took the first degree of Blue Lodge Masonry, and after only a couple months, I was pressured to leave by family and clergy.

It is forbidden for Catholics to join masonic associations, though some will dispute this fact, misinterpreting statements from the Vatican.

I come across Masons occasionally in every day life (my father used to be heavily involved, and was a Knight of the Red Cross), one of his good freinds, and other masons, when they realize that I have left the order, most always say "Once a Mason, Always a Mason"

There are many Christian Churches that have a negative stance on Freemasonry.

No disrespect to the Masons on board, but membership in the order conflicted with my family and church life. If it hadn't, I would never have asked for a demit.

So, again, any former Masons in here?

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 03:03 AM
link   
My brother is a Mason but hasn't been to the lodge for quite a while. When his daughter was born she was premature and as soon as the lodge found out they completely understood and told him to return when he was ready to do so. They certainly didn't insist that he attend, neither did they make him feel obligated to do so.

He's Catholic too - so he probably got excommunicated for joining the Masons.

Typical - Even I'm not an excomminicate and I'm pagan !!! :shk:

[edit on 7-8-2004 by Pisky]

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I am a Mason. If you demit and say that you want out, then you are no longer a Mason. Masonry is not for everyone.

Once a mason always a mason will hold for anyone that wants to be a mason that has followed through. Things happen in peoples lives, where they may not be able to be active in masonry, but they will always be a brother to us.

Typical - Even I'm not an excomminicate and I'm pagan !!!

I guess the don`t tell rule applies. If you do not mention it either way, then you will not be excommunicated. As I am sure they do not go around asking if you are a member. I went to Catholic school all my life and didnot find out about the Catholic Church being against masonry till after I joined.

I come across Masons occasionally in every day life (my father used to be heavily involved, and was a Knight of the Red Cross), one of his good freinds, and other masons, when they realize that I have left the order, most always say "Once a Mason, Always a Mason"

This was probably said with the assumption that you wanted to stay in, but was sort of unwillfully. Be it pressure from family or the church or whatever. If you said that Masonry conflicts with your beliefs and life, then I do not think the statement would be valid at that point. (Just my idea)

Sorry to hear that it conflicted with your family and beliefs and I wish you all the luck in your journey through life and hope that the church is able to provide all that you need. Afterall that is what we are all searching for. It is found in many different places for each person.

[edit on 7-8-2004 by JCMinJapan]

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 10:15 AM
link   
"Once a Mason, always a Mason" is sometimes used as catchphrase, but is incorrect. If a member resigns, or is expelled, he is no longer a Mason per se.

I think the phrase probably originally alluded to the fact that even if a Mason resigns or is expelled, he is still bound by his obligations that he took in the name of Almighty.

Fiat Lvx.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I am a Mason. I am sorry to hear of your situation.
- To be or Not to be.... well in scandinavia we call it free-masonry. You have to be FREE or get FREE of others belives. I will recoment you to get another christian faith. (sorry- not to disrespect your faith) Only the Catholic Church is forbidden membership of a Masonic Order.

As fare as I know, it was a catholic Jesuit (Priest from S.J.) who started the Maconic Order in Costa Rica.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I know of a few, some were also Shriners.

People quit for various reasons.

That old 'demit' thing is bunk.

Some call masonry 'free' but you've been there and you make that decision yourself.

No group that 'requires' anything is free.

I have a line on a couple used Fezs and rings if you want a good price

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by PublicGadfly
I know of a few, some were also Shriners.

People quit for various reasons.

That old 'demit' thing is bunk.

Some call masonry 'free' but you've been there and you make that decision yourself.

No group that 'requires' anything is free.

I have a line on a couple used Fezs and rings if you want a good price

People DO call Masonry free. Read the previous posts. They all sound just fine.

Masonry REQUIRES a lifetime membership fee, and if you want (optional), a monthly lodge due. It also requires a man to meet the conditions expressed previously on different threads.

Please explain how the "demit" option is bunk. DO you KNOW what a demit is ???

[edit on 10-9-2004 by LTD602]

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   
It is most likely that the Free part of Freemasonry was used to distinguish bonded Masons from Free Masons.

For example if a surf was born on a Lords land , that child was thought to belong to that Lord.

Many trades used a bonded system , sort of a part time slavery. You would be bonded to an emplyer for a set number of years. He would pay you a salary and supply you with lodgings and food.

The other speculation was that it indicated being Free from the Church. But my money is on the Free man , Free mason. This system was widely used in most trades during the middle ages in the UK and Europe.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Sorry, I have a different view on this. Once a Mason, always a Mason, could mean that Freemasons hold certain morals and ethics that one will never lose. If you have learned anything of moral or ethical value, it is very likely that you will not forget it and therefore you will always be a Mason in this regard. This definitely does not mean that you are forever bound to Freemasonry; it simply means that you will always carry with you the morals and values which you have learned. (which is a good thing)

Any thoughts?

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by amike555
Sorry, I have a different view on this. Once a Mason, always a Mason, could mean that Freemasons hold certain morals and ethics that one will never lose. If you have learned anything of moral or ethical value, it is very likely that you will not forget it and therefore you will always be a Mason in this regard. This definitely does not mean that you are forever bound to Freemasonry; it simply means that you will always carry with you the morals and values which you have learned. (which is a good thing)

Any thoughts?

/Bingo\ another winner! (mason humor)

I can buy it-

LTD602
Masonry REQUIRES a lifetime membership fee, and if you want (optional), a monthly lodge due. It also requires a man to meet the conditions expressed previously on different threads.

Saw whaaaaaaaaaaaat?

LIFETIME support? Come on- this is bizarro- you are yanking here, right?

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 05:12 PM
link   
No yanking, Gadfly:

My financial obligations:

-One-time fee of $450 (an initiation fee, basically.)

-Lodge dues (optional) of $110 per year. If you don't pay lodge dues you can still attend lodge, but cannot vote on lodge business, as far as I know.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by LTD602
No yanking, Gadfly:

My financial obligations:

-One-time fee of $450 (an initiation fee, basically.)

-Lodge dues (optional) of $110 per year. If you don't pay lodge dues you can still attend lodge, but cannot vote on lodge business, as far as I know.

I'm not sure what jurisdiction LTD is talking about, but it's different in most of the US. Here, members are required to pay annual dues, unless they purchase an optional lifetime membership. These dues are distinct from the initiation fees.

Fiat Lvx.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 06:00 PM
link   
(a person who stimulates or annoys especially by persistent criticism, definition from here)

Now why might I ask do some people just not get it? I personally think some people are just getting their kicks.

LTD- My financial obligations are:

1) One, one time installment of $250 (covers cost of first degree, book of constitution, aprin, etc)

2) yearly dues of $100, I think that you have to pay, unless financially destitute, in order to be an "active" Mason. (I think this is what you mean by voting and such)

PS- PG thanks for the
, I asked a Freemason this question (a couple of years ago, and of course these were not his exact words) and that is the answer that I got. So it may just be his interpritation

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Actaully, my 1996 Oxford English Dictionary is a bit less forgiving:

gadfly n. 1 fly that bites cattle and horses. 2 irritating person. [obsolete gadspike]

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Dues are a yearly ritual within the several Masonic orders; I being of sound mind and body, elected to "Endow" my membership to the Bodies of which I belong to (and allow this). A member in good standing, who has paid his dues (either annually, or through an endowed membership) will receive a Dues Card for each Body. The Dues Card is but a part of the means of recognition, a Token, yet not the means of admission.

In my Grand Lodge and within the Orient of New Mexico, a sum equal to the current dues rate multiplied by 20 (years) equals your dues requirement for the Masonic Bodies here. (This dos not include Initiation fees)

I have also met all Lifetime requirements for Charitable contributions within the Bodies I belong to, that being said I continue to contribute above and beyond to the Charities supported by the aforementioned Bodies. The most valuable contribution any member of the Masonic Orders can make is not a monetary one, but that of Time. The participation of a Mason within the Good Works (detractors insert the insidious innuendo here), is infinitely more valuable to those who receive the benefits, and to those who provide it.

Philanthropic Monkeys, not just for Charity anymore�

p.s. My Lodge has a "Well" modifier available to Endowed members (for a �modest� fee); I have eschewed this option, as I feel it is redundant.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I recently came this website and forum post : "Once a Mason always a Mason"... and I have been thinking again. (Dangerous, I know!), anywho, I went through the 3 degrees of The Blue Lodge and also was progressing through The Chairs (i.e. an officer of the Lodge). When I demitted, I was Senior Steward. I actively participated in the Ritual. I was First Fellowcraft. I was well liked by my Brethren and really enjoyed the Work. Then one day in 2002, I came out of the closet. I told some of the members (my closest Brethren), and things went downhill from there. It seems as though Freemasons have a "don't ask - don't tell" policy on homosexuality...

I am stuck in a sort of Masonic Hell, if I may use this analogy. I AM a Mason, I adhere to all the rules and tenets of Masonry - yet I do not feel welcomed BY Freemasonry. I miss the Lodge meetings and the portrayals, and I would like to still converse on Masonic subjects with (dues paying) members. It see,s though, that because I have demitted, I no longer am treated as a Freemason.

Should I not expect to be treated fairly? Why would an organization shun someone who was (and is ) dedicated to The Craft?

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light
"Once a Mason, always a Mason" is sometimes used as catchphrase, but is incorrect. If a member resigns, or is expelled, he is no longer a Mason per se.

I think the phrase probably originally alluded to the fact that even if a Mason resigns or is expelled, he is still bound by his obligations that he took in the name of Almighty.

Fiat Lvx.

The "Almighty" who Masons serve is not the same as the Almighty of Christians. Masons serve dark forces, same as communists (see the pentagram sign). Most of the masons are stupid and don't even know this...or they just pretend not to know it.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by mickee

Not to diss the Masons (don't know, nor care, much about them) but it seems pretty much the same thing happens in the Boy Scouts of America.

Wasn't it the great Groucho Marx who said "I wouldn't want to be a member of a club that would accept me."? (Wait....though funny when he said it, I prolly screwed it up...)

Rampant homophobia is antiquated and reflects poorly on those who exhibit it.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by mickee
It seems as though Freemasons have a "don't ask - don't tell" policy on homosexuality...

...I AM a Mason, I adhere to all the rules and tenets of Masonry - yet I do not feel welcomed BY Freemasonry. I miss the Lodge meetings and the portrayals, and I would like to still converse on Masonic subjects with (dues paying) members. It see,s though, that because I have demitted, I no longer am treated as a Freemason.

Should I not expect to be treated fairly? Why would an organization shun someone who was (and is ) dedicated to The Craft?

Sorry to hear about your situation mickee. Freemasonry is comprised of real people with their own set of prejudices, and any given lodge is going to reflect the social mores of the local culture and society as a whole.

I have known gay freemasons who are very happy with the Craft and certainly feel a sense of fellowship with their brothers, as indeed they should. Perhaps there are other lodges in your area you could investigate?

u2u me if you like.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by greshnik
Most of the masons are stupid and don't even know this...or they just pretend not to know it.

I understand your opinion and respect that, but why is it necessary to skip straight to name calling? And how does this relate to the topic of the post?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join