It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

who decides what banners get posted on ATS?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Deny Ignorance! ... yet I see banners for pop music acts... MTV programs, etc... These banners don't just appear magically, so who decides what goes up and why would you think that an MTV banner would be appropriate for the site?

Or do you not care and just post whatever pays? Just curious.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I'm guessing they're just the standard google-type ads and ATS has no control over them. Most likely, they pick up key words from the pages and target ads that seem to relate.

But a site this size might have clout with the ad services and be able to at least stop those infernal blinking, flashing, moving monstrosities that turn ATS into just another tabloid place.
(/rant)
edit on 10-6-2011 by SaberTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/95f539ab6516.jpg[/atsimg]

thats one of the stupid ads that pop up, lame ATS IMO

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by notonsamepage
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/95f539ab6516.jpg[/atsimg]

thats one of the stupid ads that pop up, lame ATS IMO

i Lol'd
i just hope some of them arent virus infested.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by PW229

Thanks!

Yeah, if the ads weren't so annoying I wouldn't care, but when they practically demand attention it actually makes me want to boycott the company selling whatever the product is. I would like to hope most people don't give the flashing and moving ones any business.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I'm just wondering about the integrity of this site nowadays...

the MTV werewolf action.... they sponsor a forum! Aren't the board owners aware of what MTV is all about? This is a "respected" conspiracy message board yet they take money from MTV? What next? ... a banner promoting Lady Gaga's new album? lol. This place has really changed in the past couple years.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
try posting any annoying adds in HERE for S.O and co to look at

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by fattyp

"Intergrity? Intergrity of the site?" Are you kidding? What makes you think any site has any control really of the $$$ thrown at them to put something on it? Sure they can decide against some...but to think these sites are up for us and just the theme-title of interest...well...you really have no idea how the world works.

Simple...money. Sites need it, they go out to these companies and actually BEG them to come to the site so you and I can post here. In the long run...many sites sell out SO much, that they become offensive to the participants, readers and posters, and then they fold. Happens all the time.

Try this. Send ATS a request to not put any banner or allow any popup anywhere on any part of this place. After they laugh at you...they discuss next months advertising blitz thats bringing with ads popping up from Trojan, PETA, the Rainbow Co-alition, KKK and Matels Barbie goes to Arabia. Its all money. Sure they have boards here who can deny a banner or two...by with a few $1110,000 on the line for the site...and of course freedom of speech...whould you really WANT to have them start picking and choosing sponsors based on feelings? Especially over the huge advertising $$$ these guys spend.

I dont like some either. But I do understand that without them...we wouldnt have a site to post on. It has little to do with integrity...when its an absolute MUST to pay for the site in the 1st place. I do agree though that if it keeps being offensive to a majority of the posters, we all will go elsewhere. Just realize its not going to change...and lets hope for the best it doesnt get any worse and more annoying...so that we all move on for good to other sites.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I totally understand ATS needs ad revenue to run, and sadly it's a fact that, for the most part, the companies that pay are the "bad guys"

It's business, I don't think anyone on ATS is stupid enough to be influenced by ads, but I do find it ironic that some of the basic ideas that most ATSers abide by are totally AGAINST what the advertisers practice.

I think the admin has some level of control, as I believe they asked members to report some of the "over the top" ads that were around a bit ago so they could get rid of them, but sadly the types of adds that most ATSers would actually benefit from (and that companies would actually benefit from people on ATS seeing them) are from companies that don't have the money to throw into advertising.

Another thing, these adds are Google generated right? Google TOTALLY rips off websites that use its add service. In reality if the site had adds directly from more "acceptable" companies, they might be able to make the same, or more money without the Google middle man that pays pennies on the dollar compared to what they charge the companies. And in addition to that, more respectable companies might be able to afford ad space on ATS. Things like survival based companies, gold dealers, long-term food storage companies, that sort of thing.

The way it is now, I doubt some of the advertisers would really waste their money advertising here if they knew that the majority of the member base was against what they stood for. It's kind of like trying to advertise your abortion clinic at a church group, you know?

The only ones I really have a problem with are the ones that make noise, the ones with pop-ups, and the ones whos pop-ups I cannot close, basically preventing me from browsing ATS. It might not be that way for everyone, but I have my computer hooked up to my TV, so my screen settings, combined with my zoomed in text make it so that the "close" button for these adds is cut off by the edge of the screen, and I can't even reach it. This isn't really ATS's fault, but I think the pop-up adds are just really unnecessary.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
This thread is making me want to turn adblock off just to see what happens. Is it really as bad as everyone is saying, well it must be or you wouldn't be saying it.

Concerning the integrity of ATS, I personally have never had cause to question it. What I have questioned is the ATS "404" page...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8b11111cce56.jpg[/atsimg]

Oh yeah, condescending much?

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by PW229
FireFox + AdBlock Plus = no ads.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that ATS has to source funding from somewhere but considering the "type" of person that tends to post here I would doubt if many ever actually click a banner, I know I never have.

Personally I'd like to see ATS move to an optional subscription based model, I would happily pay for a sub of about $9.99 if it gave some kind of tangible benefit, for example no ads, exclusive content etc.

Isn't that against the Terms and Service of ATS to utilize an ad block?

Does the site still make money if you block the ads?

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJM8507

FireFox + AdBlock Plus = no ads.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that ATS has to source funding from somewhere but considering the "type" of person that tends to post here I would doubt if many ever actually click a banner, I know I never have.

Personally I'd like to see ATS move to an optional subscription based model, I would happily pay for a sub of about $9.99 if it gave some kind of tangible benefit, for example no ads, exclusive content etc.

Isn't that against the Terms and Service of ATS to utilize an ad block?

Does the site still make money if you block the ads?

Can you quote the T&C that states that?

The only thing I can find in the T&C that concerns adverts is this (quoted in full):

Third Party Sites; Advertisers. The Services may provide users with opportunities links or other incentives to use certain sites, services, products, applications or content offered by or through TAN's third-party providers, including but not limited to advertisers, content and ecommerce providers (collectively "Third-Party Services"). Your use of any Third-Party Services is subject to any terms of service or conditions of use associated with the Third-Party Services. TAN does not control Third-Party Services and is not responsible for any Third-Party Services or for the contents thereof, including, without limitation, any links that may be contained in or accessible through Third-Party Services. TAN does not endorse any Third-Party Services or any products, content or communications linked to or accessible from the Services. User agrees you are wholly responsible for making your own independent judgment regarding your user or interaction with Third-Party Services.

I see nothing about blocking ads, do you?

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by PW229

The 404 page is supposed to be humorous - not condescending.
You don't find it just a tad comical?

edit on 10-6-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

I had to read the title twice!

"Who decides what banners get posted...."

as opposed to

"Who decides what posters get banned..."

I am not in on the business aspects of ATS, but I think all the ads and banners come through Google Ads, and if there is a problem with one, the link posted earlier is the best place to alert it.

Also,
It is against the TandC's to use an ad blocker. You aren't supposed to be doing that, and if you are doing it, then you certainly should not be talking about it openly here! Friendly advice.

20b) Ad Blockers: As the Websites are provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options designed to obfuscate or block online advertising while using the Websites.

Terms and Conditions
edit on 10-6-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by PW229

I have seen threads talking about "ad blocker's" being closed/deleted fast because people said ATS loaded faster and smoother when they used ad blocker, I know ATS gets allot of visits and a strong server is needed and it costs money but the quality of the ads on this site sickens me.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
reply to post by PW229

The 404 page is supposed to be humorous - not condescending.
You don't find it just a tad comical?

edit on 10-6-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

If this was a comedy site then I would find it somewhat amusing. But ATS is built on the seriousness of its community. We have people from one extreme to the other posting here. From political criticism right through to people convinced aliens have probed their nether regions. The common thread for all of them? They take their subject and experiences very seriously. Certainly, there is room for it but ATS must rise above mere humour if it is to be taken seriously.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
Also,
It is against the TandC's to use an ad blocker. You aren't supposed to be doing that, and if you are doing it, then you certainly should not be talking about it openly here! Friendly advice.

20b) Ad Blockers: As the Websites are provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options designed to obfuscate or block online advertising while using the Websites.

Terms and Conditions

Fair enough, you got me on that one. Therefore I withdraw from ATS. Not sure how to delete my account, maybe the mods can sort that out?

Been a fun ride ATS...

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
Also,

Terms and Conditions

Fair enough, you got me on that one. Therefore I withdraw from ATS. Not sure how to delete my account, maybe the mods can sort that out?

Been a fun ride ATS...

Deleting your account....

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I have no problem with advertising, but I do have a problem with the formats of that advertising. I do not believe that interactive , mouse over ads should be allowed, because they can crash or freeze some computers, particularly those which are NOT up to the minuite, and unlike non reactive banners, misinterpret a mouse over as interest, and an excuse to expand and interupt the thought processes of the user base.

Further more, I do not agree with the idea of the user base submitting to having thier IP locations tracked so that advertising can be aimed directly by geography. This is inappropriate and unwarranted, and does NOT improve the returns on advertising. People who feel they are being targeted are less likely to be in the mood to reward such behaviour.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join