It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American War Of Independence Or British Civil War?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
The American war of independence as we all know was fought between Britain and the inhabitants of the 13 colonies of North America.. Those inhabitants where British subjects. In fact the first 9 Presidents of the United States from George Washington to William Henry Harrison where all born British subjects. Taking this into account should the war in fact be classed as a "British Civil War" and not a "War Of Independence" ?

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

I'm an american but raised in the U.K.
So I hate me but I still respect me, and I acknowlege me, sometimes.

I celebrate Guy Fawkes AND 4th of July.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
I'd say it depends on who won on what you get to call it. Since the colonies won and became a seperate country, American Revolutionary War. If the colonies had lost, British Civil War. Just like the Tsars being overthrown in Russia, or American and Spanish Civil Wars.
The spoils go to the victors.......

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
And I'm an American living in the UK. This is a battle against the Globalist elite being able to set the agenda for each country through their creation of the UN. For me, it's that simple. What has to happen - and what is happening- is that enlightenment has started. A lot of us have woken up to the fact that we became lazy and complacent, trusting our elected officials to do the right thing. I want all of us to start talking to everyone they know - the sheeple even know SOMETHING is wrong. Get the awakened, quickly

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Yahm16

This pretty much sums it up right here with just one piont id like to add. If the colonies had stayed apart of Britain even after they had won, then that would count as a civil war aswell.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
As the old adage goes:

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

- mike

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
If the Americans won the revolution, then why did King George get to write the treaty at the end? And stating that all preexisting debts and treaties were still valid?

What about the War of 1812? They never even mention that one is school, sort of gloss right over it.

These were both British Civil Wars. The Crown STILL owns the US.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
From the American colonist point of view it was considered a War of Independence.
The Crown saw it as a "Rebellion" not a civil war.

Let's put this in a modern context. For example: If say the US or some other country established a Lunar or Mars colony and they wanted and fought of their Independence would we consider it a Civil war or a Rebellion?

I guess in the end it's a matter of perspective.

No?

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

That's just gives you more legitimate reasons to enjoy the flowing of Spirits

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
A civil war would consist of trying to remain in the fold yet changing the nation. America, although british subjects, wanted nothing more to do with Briton. They had no desire to change the government or influence policy. They just wanted out so at that point they gave up their British standing and became Americans hence "the war for independence.

The American civil war in contrast was fought differently. The south still considered themselves Americans and wanted to change policy, if not through the political system than they would form their own. The south however had no desire to give up their status Americans so you have a civil war and not a war for independence.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
strictly speaking a civil war is 2 (or more) sides fighting to control one country. our revolutionary war was a (successful) rebellion.
the US 'civil war' was also a rebellion (in this case a failed one).

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
A civil war is a war between organized groups within the same nation state or republic,[1] or, less commonly, between two countries created from a formerly-united nation state.[2] The aim of one side may be to take control of the country or a region, to achieve independence for a region, or to change government policies.[1] The term is a calque of the Latin bellum civile which was used to refer to the various civil wars of the Roman Republic in the 1st century BC.

A civil war is a high-intensity conflict, often involving regular armed forces, that is sustained, organized and large-scale. Civil wars may result in large numbers of casualties and the consumption of significant resources.[3]

Civil wars since the end of World War II have lasted on average just over four years, a dramatic rise from the one-and-a-half year average of the 1900-1944 period. While the rate of emergence of new civil wars has been relatively steady since the mid-19th century, the increasing length of those wars resulted in increasing numbers of wars ongoing at any one time. For example, there were no more than five civil wars underway simultaneously in the first half of the 20th century, while over 20 concurrent civil wars were occurring at the end of the Cold War, before a significant decrease as conflicts strongly associated with the superpower rivalry came to an end. Since 1945, civil wars have resulted in the deaths of over 25 million people, as well as the forced displacement of millions more. Civil wars have further resulted in economic collapse; Burma (Myanmar), Uganda and Angola are examples of nations that were considered to have promising futures before being engulfed in civil wars.

Reading the above could well indeed class the American War Of Independence as a British Civil War.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I had forgot to add, from the way I was taught in history class, is that a revollution suceeds, and that a rebellion fails.
Although if you take to mind, is West Virginia really a state, or still Western Virginia? Congress never voted to make it one, but the Western Virginians seperated during the American Civil War. Just about every old timer in Virginia still calls us Western Virginia. (sorry, just ahistory side-note).

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Yahm16

Just as a side note:

When WV "voted" to secede from VA and the Confederate States, it was a rigged election. Unfortunately, most people don't realize how voting in WV took place at that time.

When a person went to the polls, they had to publicly declare their vote in front of an official. And in front of the Unior troops who were guarding the polls.

So how many people do you think went to the polls to express their desire to stay with Virginia?

Only about 30% to 35% of the population voted for secession and the vote was overwhelmingly in favor of secession. Voter fraud (still something we love here in WV) was rampant with many scared away from polls and Union troops casting their own votes as well.

West Virginia's acceptance into the Union is a perfect example of how a smaller internal rebellion can become successful within the larger context of a major conflict. While expedient at the time, the larger ramifications of WV breaking away from VA have left WV in a geographically isolated area and ranked in the lowest numbers in almost all categories that indicate economic success.

So if rebellion is a lost effort and a revolution one that is successful, I have to wonder where WV falls.

- mike

- mike
edit on 12-6-2011 by subversivemike because: (no reason given)

top topics

join