It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whatever You Do, Don’t Call 911!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamAssassin

While I feel the necessity of police is questionable, the points you raise concerning those unable to defend themselves can be addressed with a free market solution. The problem with police is they are not accountable to the people they, and I say this tongue in cheek, since the SCOTUS states otherwise, are swore to protect. Private security firms competing for customers, in my opinion would provide far better protect from and investigations of crimes then these jack booted thugs do now.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by NuroSlam

While I feel the necessity of police is questionable, the points you raise concerning those unable to defend themselves can be addressed with a free market solution. The problem with police is they are not accountable to the people they, and I say this tongue in cheek, since the SCOTUS states otherwise, are swore to protect. Private security firms competing for customers, in my opinion would provide far better protect from and investigations of crimes then these jack booted thugs do now.
go to www.enterprise-journal.com and read the story today of two officers fired for "policy violations" for not filing reports on time...good solid officers,one a day tiem state parole board employee and the other already selected to go to the State Police...fired for paperwork violations...and you say that they get away with stuff?...liar

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Come to think of it,I had an interesting conversation with a friend thats an officer. We discussed the subject of fear.From his personal experience, he knew alot of officers that made bad decisions in the field because they are afraid....people are human, so its not too strange, though this could mean that people should think more about wanting to become an officer or they're training should deal more about the subject of fear and pressure...
edit on 10-6-2011 by JustinSee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

ummm, you shoot the mother#er a few times with 65 grain Hornady Urban T.A.P, preferably twice in the chest, and once in the head. If you live in a state where you can't do that, then I guess you could just beg for your life like a slob?

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by lokdog
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Dude I don't believe half of what you just spouted, you track down muggers and theives on your own lol yeah right. I guess it's to bad we don't have more people like you we wouldnt need the police. We could just hook you up with a Batman costume and save all kinds of tax dollars.

This is why there's so much crime and corruption right here.

You think it's impossible, fantastic, and unlikely that any mere human being could ever just go do what he has to do yet you have full faith in cops (mere human beings) doing these impossible, fantastic and unlikely things.

Don't you see it? Can't you get it?

You're putting your life in the hands of other humans. Other humans who have no interest, ability or responsibility to protect it. You're human just like they are yet you have the interest the ability and the responsibility to protect your life. Do it.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   

You and I my friend will have to agree to disagree on this topic. I have never had a bad experience with the police. Like you say there just humans, if you show them the same respect that you would like to be treated with you will not have problems. Theres always a few bad eggs, but i would hardly take them as an example of all police.

What you seem to suggest to me is called vigilantism, theres nothing down that road but anarchy. History is littered with the innocent dead of mob violence and vigilantism. Theres nothing down that road but anarchy.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Dude I don't believe half of what you just spouted, you track down muggers and theives on your own lol yeah right. I guess it's to bad we don't have more people like you we wouldnt need the police. We could just hook you up with a Batman costume and save all kinds of tax dollars.

Believe it. I've done it myself twice. All thieves leave clues and people talk.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by NuroSlam

The problem with police is they are not accountable to the people they, and I say this tongue in cheek, since the SCOTUS states otherwise, are swore to protect. Private security firms competing for customers, in my opinion would provide far better protect from and investigations of crimes then these jack booted thugs do now.

I've mentioned this myself.
The LEOs job is not nearly as dangerous as they would have you believe. A (construction worker/farmer/sales clerk etc pick one) is more likely to be killed on the job than they are.
A private security firm would do a far better job since they are accountable to their clent.

Newsflash - the country with the lowest crime rate are the swiss - you know why? ALL the citizens are armed. Everyone has a gun.
An armed society is a polite society
edit on 11-6-2011 by ..5.. because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   

You and I my friend will have to agree to disagree on this topic. I have never had a bad experience with the police. Like you say there just humans, if you show them the same respect that you would like to be treated with you will not have problems. Theres always a few bad eggs, but i would hardly take them as an example of all police.

What you seem to suggest to me is called vigilantism, theres nothing down that road but anarchy. History is littered with the innocent dead of mob violence and vigilantism. Theres nothing down that road but anarchy.

I agree with this post 100%.

The LAST thing i want to see are people on the streets taking the law into their own hands. Next thing you know, crosses will be burning and blacks will be lynched with with flimsy, made up excuses. Dramatic perhaps, but this is what that road will lead to. Anarchy and chaos. The ones who will survive are those with the biggest guns. Period.

I have had experiences with the police, all of which have been good. And ive seen the other side. When i was younger, a friend of mine was pulled over for a routine traffic check, as his taillight was burned out. The minute the police officer addressed my friend, my friend was rude and unruly. This of course got the officers back bent out of shape, and things ended up worse than they could have been.

You see, police get paid a very small amount of money for the risk they take on, day in and day out. They are often confronted with drunk, beligerant morons who make their lives miserable, and its somewhat understandable they get defensive when treated as such.

I dont want to see the world that thisguyrightthere wants. There are countries where there are no police. One off the top of my head would be Somalia. Is that a good example of the society you want?

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ..5..

Really? Are you a police officer?

nightbringr
someone has some sense.
edit on 11-6-2011 by KEMIK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by KEMIK

You don't have to be to track stolen items. What kool aid have you been drinking that you don't think anyone 'but' someone with a tin badge can do that?

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Personally, I hate cops. While I am never rude to them, out of fear of arrest, I have zero respect for any police officer.

I avoid cops like the plague. If I see a cop while driving, I pull over and wait for him to disappear. I don't go places that hire off-duty cops to do security, and I don't fly because of the high police presence.

I'm not a criminal. But in my opinion, that is irrelevant. You can be arrested just for walking down the street. The police can and will ruin your life for no reason.

I can't imagine any situation where I would call the police. It would only make matters worse.

My apartment was burglarized last year. I cleaned it up and moved on.

I had renter's insurance (as required), and could have gotten reimbursed for the theft, but it would have required submitting a police report. I opted to take the loss.

I would let someone kill me before I would invite the police into my life.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by dietsamcola

Fear rules your life. I pity you.

I was broken into a few years ago and had several thousands of dollars worth taken from my family and I. Yes, we had to file a police report in order to claim insurance and did.

The police were cordial and polite. While nothing was ever recovered, i really didnt care. Insurance paid for all the damage caused as well as replaced any and all missing equiptment and items.

You would rather let someone kill you than involve the police in anything? You pull over to make sure police are not in your rear view mirror? Is your name Rodney King? Sad, really. Your letting your fear and pre-conceived notions of what the police are effect your life. You must be a very angry man.

edit on 13-6-2011 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
People who fear cops w/o having had any sort of experience to base their fear on are irrational and no amount of talking will help....people who hate cops usualy have had some sort of contact like a ticket that they didnt deserve(I was only going 6 MPH over the limit)or got arrested for "just a little pot"....fearing without reason is a mental illness....as for no calling the cops when you need them?...good deal...makes more time in the long run for those of us who dont fear them.......

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Homedawg
People who fear cops w/o having had any sort of experience to base their fear on are irrational and no amount of talking will help....people who hate cops usualy have had some sort of contact like a ticket that they didnt deserve(I was only going 6 MPH over the limit)or got arrested for "just a little pot"....fearing without reason is a mental illness....as for no calling the cops when you need them?...good deal...makes more time in the long run for those of us who dont fear them.......

You tub can be your friend. One only need avail themselves of the growing number of incidents of police abuse and tyranny. People who make statements of denial in the face of mountains of proof are irrational in my view. They are either cops desperately trying to justify thier participation in supporting the growing police state or simply naive and still think they live in Mayberry.

reply to post by nightbringr

You would rather let someone kill you than involve the police in anything?

You might want to look into how often the police actually prevent someone from killing. They are in fact not obligated to protect you according to the SCOTUS and usually show up to mop up after the fact and see if there is anything they can charge you or your family with even though you are the victim.
edit on 13-6-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

"You tub can be your friend"...help me out here a little??

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ..5..

That's all they do? What world do you live in? Last time I checked it's a bit more involved than tracking stolen items.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Of course your right!

It's best to let someone murder you than at least TRYING to phone the police! What was I thinking.

In all seriousness though, I'm not sure where you live. Must be pretty nasty there though for you to have had such bad luck with police. After all, I must assume you have personally run afoul of the law on at least one occasion. Care to share your personal horror stories?

Quite a few Americans have responded here that they have only had good experiences with the police, yet you seem to paint them ALL in a negative light.

Ps. Wow! After doing some research, you are correct! Your civic police have no obligation to protect you (in 31 states, not all of them), nor are criminally responsible for a host of other neglectful things. That being said, im sure its to protect them from litigation, and not used as a broad excuse to neglect the citizenship. Thank god im Canadian!
edit on 13-6-2011 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Of course your right!
It's best to let someone murder you than at least TRYING to phone the police! What was I thinking.

It is pretty naive to think that if someone is trying to murder you that calling the police will save you. By the time they get there all they will be doing is mopping up after your murder. As has been said calling the police when you are in danger is akin to calling dial a prayer. If you think it is any better in Canada well then you are in for a rude awakening one day.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye

Of course your right!

It is pretty naive to think that if someone is trying to murder you that calling the police will save you. By the time they get there all they will be doing is mopping up after your murder. As has been said calling the police when you are in danger is akin to calling dial a prayer. If you think it is any better in Canada well then you are in for a rude awakening one day.

Oh am i?

Well i can assure you, anytime ive dealt with the local police it has been helpful and cordial. Perhaps you think im lieing? If so, why do you think im lieing? I can assure you if i did not deal with the police when i was robbed i would have been out several thousands of dollars in things i purchased with my hard earned money.

Now, i know you would have me NOT deal with the police. So you, yourself would not have called them in order to make an insurance claim. Who do you think has come out ahead?

You fear rules you. Your so afraid of law enforcement that it may one day bite you. Bad. Yes there are bad cops, but they are not ALL bad.

And your not using common sense. Even if there is a 1 in 100 chance that the police might help when you are being threatened, isnt that 1 percent chance reason enough to try?

By the way, what makes you an authority on our Canadian police?

edit on 14-6-2011 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join