It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whatever You Do, Don’t Call 911!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Redwookieaz
Yeah you can tell that some of you are commenting without listening to William Grigg. You really need to listen to the man before espousing the virtues of these paid thugs known as cops.

I was a cop and I whole-heartedly agree with his assesment. Research the thread topic before barfing up your pro-police programmed responses.

S&F. Nice find Hawkiye and thanks.
edit on 10-6-2011 by Redwookieaz because: oops

I also wonder the numbers of citizens now gunned down by the police, we are in a small town but last year a guy who was running from the police..by car, stopped suddenly and gave up, he was unarmed but they killed him. So if it even happens in small towns what is the yearly total.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin

reply to post by OccamAssassin

Well if I as an ordinary citizen, saw someone harassing an eldery or disabled person, I would come to their aid. That is what a responsible and caring citizen does.

Also, a weapon is the great equalizer. Keeping all members of a society equal. From a man in a wheelchair to a tiny old lady (or even a normal citizen vs an oppressive government). If they are armed, they are an equal citizen in force to even a pro kickboxer.
edit on 10-6-2011 by Redwookieaz because: (no reason given)

My point is that some of the members of the community are unable to defend themselves....Even with firearms.

A quadriplegic has little hope in defending his/herself....some elderly persons have crippling arthritis and no hope of holding a gun, let alone pulling the trigger.

However, after reading your previous posts I can totally understand where you are coming from and I agree with a lot (most) of what you have said.

I suppose it boils down to individual situations and circumstances.

Police can be a godsend in an ideal world or a curse in a corrupt one.

I miss so much the days when I had a warm feeling for police and when i saw them in our neighborhood i felt safer. Help was always a 911 away, now you are as scared of them as of the criminals. :-(

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Well I can tell you that more people are killed by cops every year than by terrorists
There was a thread on the statistics of terror deaths made here in the past that stated this. I'd have to dig it up if anyone wanted a link but it is on here and searchable.

As for the guy that ran from the police, well their behavior is expected in the culture of law enforcement these days. They rightly consider a man behind the wheel of a car a deadly weapon (if he uses his car in a manner that is threatening to the safety of a cop or a citizen).

The truth is they probably could have just taken him in since he gave up but that is just the sort of irrational violence that the militarized police are famous for these days.
edit on 10-6-2011 by Redwookieaz because: oopses

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Hmmm.... . I have needed the police before, and never hesitated to call them...I mean, I pay my taxes....on the same token, they take too long and they don't help much....the one time they DID show up on time, was when I had to hang up the phone quickly after dialing....saying that- if you need the police quickly/urgently- dial and hang up. I have had younger co-workers bring bats and stuff in, but really, when these idiots (the bad guys I mean) have adrenaline or booze in them, they are almost superhuman.... I would rather somebody else "fight" them. I know, Most cops tend to abuse they're power, atleast from what I have scene, but I'll call them if I have to....its they're job.
(I used to work in places where fights would break out all the time.)
edit on 10-6-2011 by JustinSee because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-6-2011 by JustinSee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

reply to post by Havick007

No. However their role, their temperment, the preferred characteristics for employment, their virtual immunity, and the spider web like net of statutory laws they have at their disposal, to make anyone a criminal and/or threaten with imprisonment, is so vastly un-American that the system needs to probably be scrapped and started anew to route out all the corruption.

ETA: That said, I do not need a cop to take care of my issues. I am fully capable of settling issues without the intervention of the state. I can defend myself as necessary, and I can settle disputes with fellow citizens. People have learned to be dependent on the state and they can unlearn the same thing.

ETA II: The only laws that need exist in a community should cover the loss of life or property. If one has not caused loss of life or property or damage to either, then there is no need for intervention. This is natural law/common law. It covers everything of relevence.

When an elected sheriff upholds the law as prescribed by that sheriff's community, in accordance with common law, we have both true freedom and justice. The rest only empowers one group and subjigates another.
edit on 10-6-2011 by Redwookieaz because: (no reason given)

Excellent response, and I agree with you totally. I remember the federalization days well, it cemented my decision to work in fire/rescue rather than with a police dept, despite being a L.E.O and starting three posts in different cities.

There is currently far too much dependence upon government agencies for issues that are totally irrelevant. Consensual "crimes" are responsible for more imprisonments than any "real crimes" (against persons or property.)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Hawkiye, thanks for the OP. Grigg was right on in that interview.

This subject has been on my mind quite a bit lately -- my younger brother is one week away from graduating with the police academy here. I've had many, many discussions with him concerning corrupt officers and how the police-state is more and more prevalent/evident these days. While I'm extremely proud of my brother for working so hard to accomplish what he has, I'd be lying if I said his decision to go through with it doesn't worry me at times. Nevertheless, he abhors crooked cops and the fraudulent system that's in place, so I have high hopes for him. We need more like him -- those who actually desire to serve and protect.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

lol you beat me on that joke. Was just about to write the same

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
“I don't have to be careful, I've got a gun”

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Abney

Ha ha. Lol. Does whether I was a cop actually matter to the message? I don't think so. Anyway, I have nothing to prove but nice dig

edit on 10-6-2011 by Redwookieaz because: S&G

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Lono1

A very wise choice and I commend you for it. I should've done the same but in my city there was already a good ol' boy network to get in to Fire....sigh...

Anyway, yeah it was easy to federalize when they give you all kinds of money to play with. My department used it to hire almost 3,000 new cops if I remember right. They also bought some new toys. The catch is now they depend on that money so they had better fall in line if they want to keep their cash haul. That is how they become federalized. Well that and the million different joint task forces with the fed...
edit on 10-6-2011 by Redwookieaz because: misspelins

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Wow. Sucks to be you Americans! Didn't know it was do bad down there.

I have nothing but respect for most of our police here north of the border. They work a hard, thankless, low paid job, and people generally spit on them.

I pay my taxes, and if I need them in going to call them. There are bad apples in all crowds, and the police are no exception, but i do not see the widespread corruption and abuse of power you describe here.

Thank god I'm Canadian.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Good post... I couldn't agree more. Cops are just part of the tyrannical puzzle that has been designed by the elite to control the masses with fear and intimidation. I love lewrockwell.com, there are some fantastic intellectual articles and essays available there.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Redwookieaz

Yeah, I was lucky on that aspect, as my Uncle was already a tenured member of the department. It certainly made it easier to get my foot in the door. On a side note, have you been following the entrance qualifications for Police Departments these days?

I thought I was being lied to about most departments no longer taking applicants with IQs over 100, until I found out that one of my old HS buddies got hired on no problem, and he had to tag on as a "bravo" to my "alpha" ASVAB score to even get IN to the Marines in 92 as a "combat cook."

To break that down, in 1992 (i'm not sure if this has changed or not):

For every 1 "Alpha" (scoring 50 or higher), the Marines could sign up 2 "bravo" (scoring 50 or below) recruits.

32 was the absolute lowest you could score on the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery to be considered for enlistment.

My buddy was a prince of a guy, but took the test 3 times, and finally made it in - with a waiver.

Now, hes an armed, certified, law enforcement officer, that's NEVER been especially good at critical thought or questioning the status quo.

Kind of scary to me.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Worst advice EVER...

Anyone here ever had to call 911? I have a few times. EVERY TIME, I was helped with courtesy and respect. Even when the police were involved they treated me fairly and with respect.

This kind of post defines Knee-jerk and fear-mongering.

I'm sure YOU'LL be better off without 911, but don't turn others off of it because you're afraid of what the government will do. Totally irresponsible and counter-productive.

I can guarantee you that the number of people helped through 911 calls VASTLY outnumbers the number of people that were harmed due to them. That'd be like telling people they need to stop immunizing their child because there are harmful effects...

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by nightbringr

I have nothing but respect for most of our police here north of the border. They work a hard, thankless, low paid job, and people generally spit on them.

I pay my taxes, and if I need them in going to call them. There are bad apples in all crowds, and the police are no exception, but i do not see the widespread corruption and abuse of power you describe here.

Thank god I'm Canadian.

It's not that bad down here. There are abuses, but calling 911 is overwhelmingly helpful. These are the same people who probably don't immunize their kids...

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Redwookieaz

Well I don't like the police state as much as the next guy, but I wanted to add something.

The abuse of power by police varies very broadly across the US. The majority (not all) of police who are extremely violent and aggressive, serve in large cities like LA, NY, Baltimore, and Detroit. All these places have incredible crime rates, which can be attributed for the most part to the unjust "War on Drugs". Which has caused many innocent people to suffer.

My mothers boy friend was a cop and he quit. Not because the police department was corrupt (which it was, I'm from Memphis TN) it was because of the amount of horror seen on a regular bases. He told me most cops were so hard core because they have fear. Fear of losing their lives, fear of someone else losing their life, the fear of not knowing what someone is capable of.

But true "crime" is not created by the police in this country. It is a lot more common for a civilian to "murder" someone then a cop. And with access to guns in this country being so readily available, it is no wonder why the united states has more hand gun deaths than any other country in the world. And not by a small amount, but by a significant amount.

Our guns may keep us safe from criminals trying to kill us or break into our property. But to think that the ability to kill is what keeps us safe is extremely detrimental to our society. And to believe that we have the "right to bear arms" to protect ourselves from the oppressive government of today is very naive. If there was ever rebellion in this country and martial law was declared, that would be it...it would be over. With todays military technology, they could level a whole city of militia before they could form a coherent force.

There has never been a rebellion against a superpower comparable to the US in the modern world, because they have things civilians do not have (i.e. cruise missiles, directed laser weaponry, navy, air force, tanks, and the big daddy of them all the Nuke). That is why an armed rebellion is not the way to freedom, only through peaceful acts can we obtain freedom because pain simply breeds more pain no matter who is dishing it out. There has never been a country founded upon peace because all countries have followed the same model of revolution. Freedom by force.

Sorry if I went a little of topic couldn't help it

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by grahag

Originally posted by nightbringr

Thank god I'm Canadian.

It's not that bad down here. There are abuses, but calling 911 is overwhelmingly helpful. These are the same people who probably don't immunize their kids...

Yeah I know. My post was a bit tongue in cheek. I know it's nowhere near as bad as the OP makes out. I have relatives in the US and have never heard anything like what people are posting here.

Not to mention how very dangerous this post is to the paranoia inclined. Some gullible reader might not call the police when he or she needs them the most.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Almost all cell phones sold in the US has a GPS chip in it, if your phone is turned on and they know your phone number they can find you. Depends on which cell carrier you have and what state you live in will depend on how quickly your location will be passed to the police.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
You know,reading these posts that put all cops into the catagory of someone looking for the chance to commit legal murder or bounce people around makes me want to say what I want to say to the NATO countries...they slashed their defense budgets to the edge,because they knew America was there to protect them....now they have no one to help out America and are whining....so lets just withdraw from NATO,void the treaty's and let them hang out on their own....the same can be said for cops....lets just restrict them to violent crimes and (ala Oakland CaPD) file other reports online because they just are not going to respond....wonder how long that would last?....No car accident reports,no "my neighbor did..." reports,all that out the window....Im all for it myself....but then Ive been a cop 21 years and am tired of the BS like this when I work for a dept that will fire you for a violation of policy ...any violation....not all cops or depts are the same....so lets give it a try...allow the Oakland model to go nationwide.....
edit on 6/10/2011 by Homedawg because: sp

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join