It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it illegal to steal cigarettes from minors?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
It is illegal to sell cigarette's to minors.
It's legal for minors to buy them.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by BirdOfillOmen

Thanks for replying. I have a background in both law and philosophy- the legal effect would depend a great deal on state law, of course, but mostly it would depend on how interested the cops and the courts were in prosecuting it. And finally (as in all American law)- it does come down to how the jury feels about it. So there aren't any real hard and fast answers there- It would technically be theft and could be prosecuted as such, but the minors could also be punished for possession of something that, by law, they weren't allowed to possess. It's a bit like if you stole some other guy's drug stash- you're both guilty under the law and can be prosecuted.

But the really important aspect of your question was the philosophical one- you set out a really superb example of an ethical dilemma. This is what philosophers do- set out a hypothetical situation such as yours and open debate to the relative ethical values and underlying moral arguments the situation raises.

And again, your example is an extremely good one! I'd really like to see this thread turn towards a general discussion of ethics (means and ends, the relationship between making one's own personal moral decisions and following the social norms, etc. etc. ) Ethics- legal and philosophical- is one of my favorite subjects. Room for endless and interesting debates....

I'll check in here again now and then to see how it's going.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by seaside sky

So indeed it does become a perspective and morally debating subject.

If you bring a jury in it'll be based on their morals and ethics and even then you have to come to an agreement.

Awww, the sweet smell of an inconclusive debate!
edit on 06/10/2011 by Komod0Dragon because: spelling

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
(because of my teenage daughter) I know if it is illegal to buy them, it is illegal to possess them, even if you are not smoking them. Same with alcohol, and marijuana.

It's called MIP, minor in possession. NOT minor smoking etc., minor drinking alcohol.
just minor in POSSESSION even if if not partaking in the deed at hand.

Told by the judge, just being PRESENT can/will be considered in possession. If it is available, and not even in her hand or pocket, it is available and is a MIP.

edit on 11-6-2011 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-6-2011 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I say you're a thief, but more than that, I say you're crazy. Teenagers are all hopped up on hormones and are more than a little crazy at that age

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join