It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it illegal to steal cigarettes from minors?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Oh, and another very important point- if the only moral argument regarding taking the smokes is that you're just enforcing the law, then your action has no ethical value in itself- you would be simply acting as a tool of the "law" rather than an independent ethical agent making a decision about right and wrong.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Where I currently live, I see articles in the paper every week of minors being caught with tobacco products and taken to jail.
So HERE, it is indeed illegal for a minor to not only purchase, as well as have tobacco products on their persons.

Back to the original question. You look at a 14 year old as being weaker, so you would choose to steal from them in hopes of being called a good samaritan? Are you slow?
There is nothing in the context of that idea that even justifies this in the least. Stop thinking of ways to legally steal.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by BirdOfillOmen
This is hypothetical...
Hypothetical.
Hypothetical.
Hypothetical.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by MzMorbid

You didn't answer his question. He didn't say stealing was wasn't wrong.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by MzMorbid
reply to post by BirdOfillOmen

So two wrongs make a right now? The kids will get more smokes. You'll just be a thief

...But they don't need the cigarettes. And still, they aren't supposed to have them to begin with. I wouldn't have bitched if some older person caught me as a kid when I was smoking and took my cigarettes for himself. I would be grateful it wasn't a cop busting me.

Do you NEED your laptop?
I'm anti-"kids smoking" in a big way but That's a stupid rationalization.

edit on 10-6-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
It would be robbery.
The smokes do not belong to you, if you took them it would be robbery.
They certainly wouldn't get them back from the police, but I suspect you would probably be charged.
I have to admit though, you're a braver man than me, I wouldn't attempt that with the kids on my estate, they'd more than likely stab me and take everything in my pockets.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by BrianDamage

I wouldn't attempt this, either XD

Though most of the kids in my town are emaciated, scene kids who seem to tote skateboards around just to make a fashion statement.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

If I was 14 and someone stole my cigarettes I'd be like give em back then I'd probably cut them, When I was 14 I always angry and always armed. stupid kids ya kno

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Is it illegal to kill a murderer?

Question answered.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Let's say I, as a legal adult, was walking around town and needed a smoke. I see a bunch of 14 year-old kids standing around and smoking cigarettes. I notice they had a full pack of cigarettes sitting on a park bench and decide to just grab it and walk away. I practically stole them- yeah, but they aren't legally supposed to have them in the first place. So would I be in trouble with the law for stealing them or would I be considered a Good Samaritan for enforcing the law?

This is just hypothetical. I don't even smoke. I just started pondering this as I was going for my evening walk around town, lol.

I sure hope it is, because that is just wrong. It is non of your damn business if these kids smoke unless you are their parents.
Doing such a thing is just disgusting and dosent make you a good samaritan
edit on 10-6-2011 by juleol because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
*Beats head on desk repeatedly*

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Hmm...here you go...You will be officially uncool for taking such actions....and pray those kids don't know where you live....toothpicks in keyholes and sugar in gas tanks suck. Lol. Kids stink. Seriously though, some kids are bad, so its best not to mess with them.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by trollz
Is it illegal to kill a murderer?

Question answered.

Not in some US states.

Question not answered

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I'm going to go with:
If a kid has cigarettes, they are his property. The person buying them (whether an adult or the kid in question) is committing a crime, but ownership is not a crime.
Therefor you would be committing a crime by stealing the kid's property.

Hard to say how a cop would treat the situation; charge, fine, reprimand, pat on the back...who knows.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I think the central issue is that the cigarettes aren't the kids' property- its contraband... but not once its in a legal adults' hands.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

I thought this was going to be a philosophical discussion of ethics.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by seaside sky

Its already pretty divided, anyway. Discuss either the ethics behind it or the legal outcome.

The legal matter could easily be put to rest by somebody who's familiar with the law. I just find it interesting how regular people justify either side of the law.
edit on 6/10/2011 by BirdOfillOmen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

This is a gray area. I feel that the law is draconian in the first place. I guess it is still technically stealing. Lets look at it in mathematical terms... a negative plus a negative equals a positive... so I guess it's OK to take them.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

It's only illegal to sell them to minors.
You stole their property so you are in the wrong (hypothetically).

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Let's say I, as a legal adult, was walking around town and needed a smoke. I see a bunch of 14 year-old kids standing around and smoking cigarettes. I notice they had a full pack of cigarettes sitting on a park bench and decide to just grab it and walk away. I practically stole them- yeah, but they aren't legally supposed to have them in the first place. So would I be in trouble with the law for stealing them or would I be considered a Good Samaritan for enforcing the law?

This is just hypothetical. I don't even smoke. I just started pondering this as I was going for my evening walk around town, lol.

Some other people brought up some very valid points about it being illegal for minors to *purchase* tobacco products but not to *posses* them.

It's a great random thought to come up with because now you can analyze the crap out of it from some many different sides of the fence.

There's the black and white of it: The kids are or have engaged in illegal activity and are in possession of an item that the law (this is situationaly and purely based on state, city, county, and district) was created to protect or halt minors from having a known harmful and addicting substance.

Following that same concept, it now goes onto muse the idea that you are stealing from an individual who obtained the item illegally and is now in their possession yet with no law (assuming) barring a minor from possession, only from purcashing.

That's where you can no longer follow the black and white and must delve into the gray areas and would need to have an attorney, who is educated on the local laws of this manner, to give their view of the matter.

It would be pre-conclusive to label you as a thief or good samaritan without first exploring the logic of the gray areas.

As pointed out by another individual, illegal does not necessarily equate to wrong as 'wrong' is a very subjective and is a personal perspective especially since this topic delves into multiple gray areas.

While you will have intended to do something positive, it can be perceived as negative by others.

Great question indeed!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join