It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it illegal to steal cigarettes from minors?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Let's say I, as a legal adult, was walking around town and needed a smoke. I see a bunch of 14 year-old kids standing around and smoking cigarettes. I notice they had a full pack of cigarettes sitting on a park bench and decide to just grab it and walk away. I practically stole them- yeah, but they aren't legally supposed to have them in the first place. So would I be in trouble with the law for stealing them or would I be considered a Good Samaritan for enforcing the law?

This is just hypothetical. I don't even smoke. I just started pondering this as I was going for my evening walk around town, lol.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by BirdOfillOmen

lol what are the little kiddos gunna do about it they going to call the police? its a mutual thing if you ask me

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Stealing is wrong. Why do you need to be told that?

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
i would say thats more of a moral issue than a legal one. unless some cop riding on his bike sees you i dont think you would get in trouble...a little off subject, mods dont delete this, but im new here and i dont even know how to make a post, yes i feel stupid for not knowing that. someone help!

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Yaah, like taking candy from a baby....

Oh, wait, that's wrong...

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by tyson45
i would say thats more of a moral issue than a legal one. unless some cop riding on his bike sees you i dont think you would get in trouble...a little off subject, mods dont delete this, but im new here and i dont even know how to make a post, yes i feel stupid for not knowing that. someone help!

You did a good job making a post here, lol. But if you mean you don't know how to post a new topic- you can't until you make a total of 20 replies on the forum.
edit on 6/9/2011 by BirdOfillOmen because: error

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by MzMorbid
Stealing is wrong. Why do you need to be told that?

Illegal =/= "wrong". Not in some cases, at least.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
My brother who is 14 smokes and i can tell you that if some random adult took his cigs he would probably beat the hell out of them... if he couldn't alone well that's what friends are for... kids are pretty crazy i'd be careful

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   

oh ok, thanks for the heads up!

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   

You say legal adult so from that I take 18 to 20.
Not particularly fully developed physically nor wise at all.
Why do you consider stealing anything from someone, children especially?
I would be careful, if it were a group of them most definately they would beat you down, and with the persona involved in your query, most definately one could most probably best you.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
loI

I really was being serious when I said this is purely hypothetical. I thought it would be an interesting legal discussion but apparently people would rather turn it into a moral lecture.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Stealing is illegal period so unless you are a cop, yup sorry it's assault and battery even though they shouldn't have the cigs.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Premium or generic? 'Cause if those punks are smoking premium cigs these days they prolly stole 'em too!

Interesting question though...

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   

its wrong for them to smoke wrong for you to take the smokes..you might get knifed and robbed..snitch them out lol good citizen and all but you still got no smoke..but you do have your life and wallet now go buy some smokes!!

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Try to steal the Newports from these kids and see what happens

I suggest you open your eyes and see that today's children are not what they "used" to be and keep your hands to yourself...

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
This is hypothetical...
Hypothetical.
Hypothetical.
Hypothetical.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

So two wrongs make a right now? The kids will get more smokes. You'll just be a thief

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
well i smoke and am around that age and il tell you this if they are anything like me and my friedns your gonna get hit in the back of a head bye skateboards

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by MzMorbid

So two wrongs make a right now? The kids will get more smokes. You'll just be a thief

...But they don't need the cigarettes. And still, they aren't supposed to have them to begin with. I wouldn't have bitched if some older person caught me as a kid when I was smoking and took my cigarettes for himself. I would be grateful it wasn't a cop busting me.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by tamenie
well i smoke and am around that age and il tell you this if they are anything like me and my friedns your gonna get hit in the back of a head bye skateboards

I doubt it. Kids that age are too timid to even approach me when I'm making stupid growling noises when messing around with friends.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join