It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Emergency Broadcast System

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
This isn't very long, but I think it is interesting. I live in SE Virginia, and I have noticed over the last couple of months that the Emergency Broadcast System is being tested more and more on the radio. I drive around for the better part of the day because of the nature of my job, and I listen to the radio all day, everyday (mostly sports and political talk), In the past you would rarely hear the EBS tests, maybe once a week. Now it seems that it is happening 3 or 4 times a day. I can't help but wonder if they are preparing for something. I know that is a pretty crazy statement to make, but probably fairly reasonable in this day and age. Has anyone else noticed this where you live?

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
They might be upgrading software on em. DHS has new requirements for public safety agencies that they have to adapt by 2013 if I remeber right. It also includes radio systems.

The storm sirens in the city I worked for a long time ago was set off by the fire department. When the fire department upgraded their systems, they have to upgrade the storm sirens so they were compatible for it.

Also, its posible yourcity is just doing some routine maintenace on them to make sure they are working correctly. Better to check now and find the problems, than wait and it be to late.

just my 2 cents.

EDIt to add: Your comment about preparing for something reminded me of FEMAs new diection. They are being more proactive, trying to assist cities prepare for the worst, while hoping for the best. I also was reading an article that some garage doors out in california are opening and closing at random. Turns out the military started to use a frequency reserved for DoD. They are testing that frequency out because its compatible with local and state emergency service agencies. Makes it easier for emergency services to speak to military units that are assisting (Joplin is a prime example of how the comm system failed and what the result looks like. They had to resort to cell phone and nothing else).
edit on 9-6-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

It isn't just the radio I have noticed it on cable TV more and more as well. The cable ones are annoying because no matter what channel you turn it to it's still the test. Also they used to reserve the testing times for later at night or early morning, and now I notice them even during peak viewing and listening times.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Ive noticed the same thing, and even commented on it to a couple of people, over the last 2 or so months in my city. The answer I always get is "they usually test them at night, thats why you usually dont notice them".

And my answer, which usually gets met with a sideways look..."So then, why are they testing during the day, now?"

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I dont think it really matters.Where was the system on 9/11?Where was the system for Katrina?Most emergency scenarios the electricity goes out .It is a good idea but kind of useless

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I noticed this as well both on radio and cable television, good subject OP. I didn't know if it was just me perhaps just because of the state of our world with all the "doom" and evil we are subjected to daily, I noticed the EBS because I'm half expecting the SHTF soon.Perhaps the PTB are expecting it too and preparing...

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   

It could be that since the major ugly storms that took oout Tuscalossa and Joplin have officials on edge so they are covering the bases in the event of a big storm in your area...as they do take a good beating sometimes when the systems fail to notify people in a certain amount of time. Its aslo called EAS now and it is most certainly being used more today than it use to be.

Loads of money was dumped into the system several years before 9-11 on major upgrades...the system use to be activating by one radio and TV staion in each region which in turn tripped alarms in every other station which then manully put the alert on the air, now the sytems is no longer under controll of radio or TV staions and automatically takes over the signasl of TV and radio stations without any help.

The National Wx Service I am sure has the capability to trip the sytems for what ever region they need too and since 9-11 I am sure they have poured even more money into the system and that Homeland Security has control as various other agencies.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I saw it happen on Nickelodeon around 5pm. It was so strange I went into the living room to see why they were showing it, especially on a children's channel during their primetime viewing. I've also been hearing it at random times throughout the day on different channels. It struck me as odd because I used to only see them at 3 am or something like that. Oh well, just makes me wonder what they're trying to prep us for, or get us used to.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
This was discussed a few months ago, here is the thread........
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Not sure if anyone has any real answers but it seems strange to me as well.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
They might be upgrading software on em. DHS has new requirements for public safety agencies that they have to adapt by 2013 if I remeber right. It also includes radio systems.

The storm sirens in the city I worked for a long time ago was set off by the fire department. When the fire department upgraded their systems, they have to upgrade the storm sirens so they were compatible for it.

Also, its posible yourcity is just doing some routine maintenace on them to make sure they are working correctly. Better to check now and find the problems, than wait and it be to late.

just my 2 cents.

EDIt to add: Your comment about preparing for something reminded me of FEMAs new diection. They are being more proactive, trying to assist cities prepare for the worst, while hoping for the best. I also was reading an article that some garage doors out in california are opening and closing at random. Turns out the military started to use a frequency reserved for DoD. They are testing that frequency out because its compatible with local and state emergency service agencies. Makes it easier for emergency services to speak to military units that are assisting (Joplin is a prime example of how the comm system failed and what the result looks like. They had to resort to cell phone and nothing else).
edit on 9-6-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

That makes sense... thanks for the info

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_

It isn't just the radio I have noticed it on cable TV more and more as well. The cable ones are annoying because no matter what channel you turn it to it's still the test. Also they used to reserve the testing times for later at night or early morning, and now I notice them even during peak viewing and listening times.

Interesting... I haven't seen it on TV yet, I'll have to watch for that (no pun intended)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJMSN

It could be that since the major ugly storms that took oout Tuscalossa and Joplin have officials on edge so they are covering the bases in the event of a big storm in your area...as they do take a good beating sometimes when the systems fail to notify people in a certain amount of time. Its aslo called EAS now and it is most certainly being used more today than it use to be.

Loads of money was dumped into the system several years before 9-11 on major upgrades...the system use to be activating by one radio and TV staion in each region which in turn tripped alarms in every other station which then manully put the alert on the air, now the sytems is no longer under controll of radio or TV staions and automatically takes over the signasl of TV and radio stations without any help.

The National Wx Service I am sure has the capability to trip the sytems for what ever region they need too and since 9-11 I am sure they have poured even more money into the system and that Homeland Security has control as various other agencies.

Well we are in a Hurricane area, but I have lived here for 11 years and have never seen the EBS tested this much before in the past. Maybe they changed their policy or like another poster said, maybe they upgraded the system or software.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   

This is the result of an Agency playing " Catchup." After the tornados in the midwest, someone cracked
the hammer down to make sure that everything was up to par in their juristiction. So, it is a good thing.
It is Emergency management tests, and some folks being not only concerned about the lives of people
and response teams in their arena, but their job as well. Someone is paying attention.

Someone like you.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I've been in and lived through several major events: 3 epic quakes, fires, floods, riots and I have NEVER heard the EMS do anything but test. I'm not really sure what the point is at all, as there has never been information from this system - what little there is in the matters comes from hysterical tv and radio news orgs.

To me this is either: given people the illusion someone cares. Is woefully inept. Has another agenda. The beeps and buzzes are mind control triggers.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by crankyoldmanThe beeps and buzzes are mind control triggers.

The beeps and buzzes are data bursts to trigger alarm equipment and/or enable EBS receivers. Sort of like what you hear when 56k modems are doing line negotiation.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I sometimes lately feel like I want the SHTF and just get it over with. It would almost be a relief, it seems like you can almost feel the build up lately.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Yes, I have noticed it here too (Louisiana)....and about a week ago, I got a phone call...it was a recorded message that said it was testing the EBS new phone alert system (:puz
Never heard of that before....have you?

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat

Yes, I have noticed it here too (Louisiana)....and about a week ago, I got a phone call...it was a recorded message that said it was testing the EBS new phone alert system (:puz
Never heard of that before....have you?

Otherwise known as reverse 911. It takes a database of phone numbers vs addresses and calls everyone in a selected area with a canned message.

top topics

join