It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I missed the exam again! What does this dream mean?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Throughout my life I have had this recurring dream. The theme and circumstances change, but the context of the dream is consistent. In some dreams, I am walking to high school, for example, and my sister mentions something about a Geography class that I am in; suddenly I realize that I haven't gone all semester and totally forgot about the class. I realize I am so far behind and will never catch up. I get this sick feeling and wonder if I could even go back to the class. I sometimes wonder why no one contacted me about not going.

Sometimes I am in university and realize that I have not bothered studying for an exam that is the next day. I am doomed, and realize I have no hope of passing. Or, someone mentions a paper that is due and I realize I didn't even bother with it. I again, realize I am in big trouble.

More often than not, the dream is more like the first example. I have totally forgotten to go to, not bothered to go, or never read some book or did an essay for a class. It's like I just forgot about the class (I don't have shame for skipping in the dream, more like dread with the realization I just forgot).

In reality, I did my assignments on time, handed in work on time, studied and passed my coursed both in high school and university. I get things handed in on time work wise, and don't suffer from any of this type of stuff in real life.

What does this dream/theme mean? Why do I keep having it in various themes?

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I think it's a recurring dream because it's something you fear, and your brain is offering you scenarios to test how you handle them and get you thinking about these scenarios consciously.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Ultraman2011

It seems like there is something that you wanted to do in this life, something you wanted to learn or achieve or experience, that you haven't done. As I understand it, we each set ourselves tasks or goals before we come into the Earth, things that we want to do or learn about, but we often forget these things once we get here and sometimes we end up off track and our lives take us in different directions. The dreams will likely keep recurring until you figure out what it is that you're meant to be doing and set about doing it. It could be anything, and really, only you can figure out what it is. Think about the things that you find interesting, things that you've felt drawn to, things you've wanted to do but never quite found the time for. There may be clues within the dreams, such as the subject that you were supposed to be studying or taking an exam in, or once you realise that there is something you need to do, the dreams may develop in such a way as to prompt you in the right direction.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

peace
J

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by sine.nomine
I think it's a recurring dream because it's something you fear, and your brain is offering you scenarios to test how you handle them and get you thinking about these scenarios consciously.

this is a very good possibility. it could also be a way of your brain reminding you of something coming up that you need to complete. one of these or you been smoking some good good weed

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Ive had the same dream for years.Im in High school muckin about and sudenly i remember the end of school exams are here and i havent studied and panic sets in.I get a horrible sinking feeling.

Im not sure of the meaning, Ive been told that it means im on the wrong life path or something like that.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by skjalddis

Thanks for the input, much appreciated. New insights for me to consider.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   

More than likely, you are a middle child that as middle children often do, you did everything right and as a consequence, you got little attention for being the star pupil or the converse, the troublesome one.

School's out. Relax and don't sweat the small stuff. It will eat you up.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
You may have fear from failing on some exam. Do you have it ? Does this dream motivates you not to fail ?

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Wow, you've just described dreams that I've had.

They suck, don't they?

I usually get them during bouts of sleep paralysis. I'm lying in my bed, desperately trying to get the sheets off of me (but obviously, since I'm still asleep and my muscles are paralyzed, to no avail) and I'm panicked because I have to get to class. I'm already late, but I'm sure that if I can just get up and out of bed, I'll make it in time. And the whole dream... is just me looking around my room trying to swing a leg out from the covers or pull the covers off or maybe even grabbing onto my night table to drag myself from bed. But of course, nothing works... until I wake up for real, covered in sweat from the sheer exertion of dreaming of trying to wake myself.

The worse dreams are the ones where I manage to get out of bed, but I can't get anything done because I still feel like I'm asleep. I'll be in the shower, doing the wash routine, and it doesn't feel like I'm doing anything because I'm groggy. Sometimes I'll even manage to get all the way to the car and in the dream I'm panicked because I realize that I'm asleep and I shouldn't be driving in the first place. It's all so mundane that it seems real, if it wasn't for the layer of foggy indecision that clouds everything I do in these dreams.

Lucky me I'm not a sleep walker.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I have been having a similar dream about 1-2 times a month for the last 8 years or so. In mine I am in some sort of school, most similar to a high school but it doesn't feel like high school. I move from class to class and everything is great until I get to my last class(it changes between an english type class and a math type class) and I forgot to study or I diddent do the home work. I have never thought to look into it as I believe most dreams are subjective. I think I will do some research on it. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I have those dreams too and I know exactly the feeling you are describing. It is a horrible feeling. I too would often in my dream why no one notified me that I had missed so many days and assignments or why weren't they curious why they hadn't seen me at school in awhile. I believe why I have those dreams is because during the last 2 years of high school I skipped SO many days of school, I didn't have enough credits to graduate. The school didn't seem to notice until it was a month or two before graduation when they called me into the office. (I was also writting fake excuse notes and forging my dad's signature. So I had to confess to that as well.) I never did walk the aisle with my classmates, but I did start taking GED courses and got my diploma a year later. It was after that (10 years ago) when the dreams started and still continue to this day. They don't occure every night. Maybe once every couple of months. I just don't understand why I'm still haunted by it if I did what I had to do. Get my diploma.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Heir Freud would say: You are worried and preoccuppied Witz (with in english with A German Accent)
Failure.
The world we live in today, I honestly can see why this little stressor is constantly on your subconcious mind. It's no big leap to say that you are an overachiever.
edit on 11-6-2011 by ldyserenity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   

I've had this dream since high-school and just recently finished grad-school. The weird thing is, its always a chemistry class. So even in my last semester of lawschool I was having a dream where I'd have to randomly take a chemistry exam. Haha,

I think it just means you feel behind on stuff or are over your head. At least that's how I feel when this dream rears its ugly head.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   

I think dreams are our unconscious trying to talk to us. Trying to gently help us face something that we are not facing. It could be...you are afraid you wont be prepared for something. And it could be that your dream is testing your fear of this.

Look at life and ask yourself is there thoughts or beliefs that cause you to feel that something is coming or could happen, that you wont be prepared for if it does happen.

But all in all...I think our inner nature tries its best to teach us, we have nothing to fear, and to let go of fears. All is as meant to be and will be OK.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Thanks to all who posted and shared their insights. Very helpful advice and input.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

I've had the nearly exact kind of dreams about 'missing classes' about 30 times - especially since I graduated from University - And for the first 22 years of my life, I hardly ever missed a class or missed doing homework assignements -

In these recurring dreams, I most often am walking around a 'high school' campus in the US - desperately looking for some class I am supposed to be in already (usually it's around May or June (end of school year) and normally the sun is out and it is around noontime or shortly after 1pm every time) ..then but suddenly not sure of my schedule at all -- that is, where 'exactly' I am supposed to be at that very moment -

And in those 'sad' and 'lost' dreams, when I finally do locate the class I suspect I am suposed to be in, and manage actually to walk into it facing a classfull of students, most of whom seem like strangers and not like familiar classmates, I don't always 'know' where my assigned seat location is suposed to be -

Also often in these kinds of recurring dreams, I seem to have been out of school for a while and have piled up several homework assignments only partially finished in my notebook, all of which I have not turned in yet...and more are expected by e.g. the next day from the Teacher.

I also am a 'middle child' who was 'expected from the age of 4' to 'go to college' and thus I got straight-A's practially every year...I was certainly 'over parented' and lived my life for the 1st 22 years of my life 'by the bell' as they say (attending summer school every year as well - which allowed me to graduate early at 16 years old with enough credits )

I suspect my own history of having 'finished' High School a full 2 years earlier than normal might be related to the sense of still having literal 'unfinished' classes or 'unfinished' homework assignments -

But I concur with some of the others on this thread that these recurring dream-nightmares which drip so much of 'failure and irresponsibility' emotions (quite scary for those overparented middle children who are generally 'people-pleasers' who do what is expected of them way too much) , that it might be some kind of a message from my own sub--conscious flagging me to get in touch with what I perhaps SHOULD be doing in terms of a life path...

Life on earth does seem rather school-like in my opinion - although in real life here, they don't always tell you what exact class you're in at the time or what exactly you should be learning and from whom !

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I have had similar dreams to this periodically throughout my life with similar emotional responses. Look at the comments of those in this thread who have had these dreams:

I get this sick feeling...dread...I get a horrible sinking feeling...They suck...I'm panicked...I wake up for real, covered in sweat...I know exactly the feeling you are describing. It is a horrible feeling...these recurring dream-nightmares drip so much of (quite scary) 'failure and irresponsibility' emotions.

Perhaps this is simply an effective dream scenario for producing these emotions in certain people and that's why so many of us have the dream. Why?

It's been said: we dream in the 4th dimension. And, that there are 4th dimensional entities. And, there are parasitic vamiresque entities out there, somewhere.

And, it's been said, we are a channel of chi/prana/source energy that flows through us. One way we release energy is through emotion. We can be provoked into various "negative" emotional reactions. This "flavors" our energy so it's usuable/palatable to others.

So--Big Finish now--the "meaning" of these dreams is that they are effective scenarios that we are placed in within the 4th dimension, so that we transmute or flavor source energy into a "negative" fear-tainted substance usable by others.

new topics

top topics

join