It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN nuclear watchdog refers Syria to Security Council

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
HGHGHG

The UN nuclear watchdog is to report Syria to the Security Council over its alleged covert nuclear programme.

The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) voted to rebuke Syria on claims of an undeclared nuclear reactor.

The structure, which Syria has maintained was a non-nuclear military site, was destroyed by Israel in 2007.

The IAEA's move comes as international pressure mounts on the UN Security Council to censure Syria over its lethal crackdown on protests.

European nations on Wednesday presented a separate draft resolution to the Council condemning Syrian President Bashar Assad's regime.

Desert site

At the IAEA meeting at its headquarters in Vienna, 17 countries voted for and six against, including Russia and China.

Diplomats said that overall 11 countries of the 35-member board of governors abstained and one country was absent from the vote.

Israel bombed the desert site of the alleged reactor - near Deir Alzour in the country's remote north-east - in September 2007.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I am curious if this is tied in with North Korea and Iran? The article talks about an incident in 2007 that made the news for about 24 hours before going away. Israeli jets targeted and derstroyed a site in the Syrian desert.

People questione dIsraeli actions, but apparently it appears to be justified. I wonder how much of this program is home grown, and how much is coming from other countries. I know quite some time back before prior to our invasion of Iraq, there were intelligence reports stating equipment / material from Iraqi nuke programs were transferred to a Syrian location (if I rmeber right its the Bekaa valley near the Syrian / Lebanese border.

Now before people go off on their Israel has nukes comments, keep in mind Israel is not a signatory to the NPT, Syria and Iran are.

If they want military nuclear capability, then all they have to do is withdraw from the NPT.

Also the flip side to this coin is what might happen if Syria is referred to the Security Council. People accuse the US of vetoing resolutions concerning Israel. I wonder if China or Russia will do the same for Syria.
edit on 9-6-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-6-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I think Russia and China did veto.

www.bbc.co.uk...

What a shame this thread is not in the breaking news forum where it could have more exposure that it deserves.

I was going to post it in that forum and suggest that if the brutal crackdown of the regime is not cause enough to launch military intervention in Syria, then this is it, because it is the same reason the west invaded Iraq!

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Double Post
edit on 9-6-2011 by surrealist because: Double Post

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by surrealist

Its in the breaking political news forum.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Yes Russia have made it clear they dont want any Nato intervention

en.rian.ru...

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Oh well there still might be a chance to see Damascus before one of the middle easts crowning jewels is obliterated by America.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I wouldnt hold my breath on seeing Damascus. At the rate the Syrian Government is killing its own people, I can see the UN / NATO pull another Libya.

new topics

top topics

join