It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EQ's in California...How's it feeling down there?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Just looking at all the action on EQ's and it does seem to be picking up a bit lately.

This isn't a scare-mongering thread. I was wondering what people are feeling? What area are you from and are you feeling any of these? The largest in the last 24 hrs was a 4.4 so someone must have felt it.

The reason I ask is that I spent about 6 months in Taiwan and quakes are a daily thing as well. I remember my first and it was only a 4.0 but I didn't know what was happening. I was on the 10th floor of an apartment building and all of a sudden I felt nauseous and disoriented...like reality shifted for a second and I had no idea what was coming.

It became a regular thing but I never got used to it.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3302e28e57aa.png[/atsimg]

Actually, the entire West Coast of N. America is lit up pretty good right now:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/20e754250828.png[/atsimg]

edit on 9-6-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Honestly? Haven't felt a damned thing. I'm about an hour's drive east of LA, in the Inland Empire, and haven't felt an EQ in years.

Of course, I'm paranoid as it is since I'm literally 10 miles from the San Andreas fault (or part of it, it runs up quite a ways), but to be honest, I think having multiple EQs is a good thing, more or less. It's when it starts to quiet down that you have to be alert.

So, in short? Everything seems fine. The weather is quite odd (I know it's called June Gloom for a reason, but this is Southern California damnit), but as far as EQs go, it's moving, but I personally haven't felt any.

My family is.. well, we're mostly prepared. We all know the big one is coming soon, and we don't buy into the bull# "it can produce maybe a 7 or 8 quake" that they like to say. My dad worked for pacific bell for many years, installing them in buildings, high-rises (even was in-between the walls in a high rise when the '94 Northridge quake hit near LA, he thought he was done for), but many in the company had meetings where they discussed what the real experts said about EQs (don't ask me what the relation between Pacific Bell and EQs are), and they said the San Andreas was capable of 9.5s, which was contradictory to what the MSM was saying at the time, so obviously my dad was laughed at.

I find it ironic though that NOW they are saying the San Andreas is capable of atleast a 9 (according to that post by Washington).
edit on 9-6-2011 by Lionhearte because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Orange County here & I haven't felt any. I check USGS
daily & noticed all the action, too. Most of the EQs are
very small & you have to be close to the epicenter to feel it.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I am by no means a siesmologist or a prophet, but I have been doing alot of research on elenin and alignments with siesmic activity. I think there may possibly be a big one somewhere on the west coast between aug 11- aug 18th. I hope everyone is taking precautions to protect themselves and family. God bless you all and good luck!

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by don rumsfeld

Yeah, I guess it depends on the epicenter and geological formations as to how far it travels and whether it's felt at lower mags.

Does seem to be a lot of action so just curious as to what folks are feeling. I know in Taiwan I felt so weird.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Lionhearte

Well, hope it doesn't come to that but there is so much activity that I have to ask when a big one will hit.

It just seems that if all of these smaller ones can go on 50 times a day, certainly one bigger one could sneak in there somewhere.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lionhearte
reply to post by jude11

Honestly? Haven't felt a damned thing. I'm about an hour's drive east of LA, in the Inland Empire, and haven't felt an EQ in years.

Of course, I'm paranoid as it is since I'm literally 10 miles from the San Andreas fault (or part of it, it runs up quite a ways), but to be honest, I think having multiple EQs is a good thing, more or less. It's when it starts to quiet down that you have to be alert.

So, in short? Everything seems fine. The weather is quite odd (I know it's called June Gloom for a reason, but this is Southern California damnit), but as far as EQs go, it's moving, but I personally haven't felt any.

I'm a bit south of you and haven't felt anything remotely similar to a quake in months, at least since the quake in Mexico a while back... excluding the house shakes when the garage door opener is working. But I do feel we're due for another 4-5 in SoCal soon.

And lol at "June Gloom": high fog that is not odd. It's been happening for years. June is historically the cloudiest month in San Diego.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Originally posted by don rumsfeld

Yeah, I guess it depends on the epicenter and geological formations as to how far it travels and whether it's felt at lower mags.

Does seem to be a lot of action so just curious as to what folks are feeling. I know in Taiwan I felt so weird.

The EQ that hit Easter 2010 was strange. I was at Starbucks & suddenly I felt dizzy & stumbled.
I looked at the kid at the counter & he said it was an EQ & sure enough, the light fixtures were swinging.
I feel safer seeing all those little ones on the map. When I stop seeing them, then I'll worry!

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Considering that the entire west coast is part of the ring of fire, and taking into consideration that the last three "big ones" were all on the ring, I would venture to say it is extremely likely it will break soon, just sayin.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I live in Southern California, 20 Miles from the border, and from the epicenter of the Easter Quake of 2010.

Earthquakes/Aftershocks happen constantly down here, but it's normal. I havnt felt anything out the norm lately.

The 4.4 was felt, but again, normal.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Hrmmm... yahoo news said it was a 4.5, 8:22 this morning in baja. Yep, felt it, rattled my bed a little and woke up.

Those little ones are fairly common around here, san diego county. Lived in LA a couple years and most of my life in the San Francisco bay area, never felt anything. Only down here in so-cal and volcano tremors from the long valley caldera whilst in the mammoth lakes town (some have predicted for awhile now that's going to blow anytime btw).

What's also strange is the fact that california earthquakes on or near the coast are unlikely to cause tsunami BUT in the past the fault lines quake under lake tahoe caused major tsunamis, was surprised to learn that recently!

www.sfgate.com.../c/a/2005/04/28/QUAKES.TMP

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I live in So Calif at the base of the San Bernardino mountains,in the last year felt maybe 2 earthquakes,seems felt more a few years ago,actually seems like less quakes

new topics

top topics

join