It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WOOHOO! I got a Job! And it doesn’t pay squat. And I'm thankful for it.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Just had to share my good news. As some of you may know, I am retired military and have been looking for a job for a bit now. I finally was welcomed back into the fold today of the employed. But the job doesn’t pay a dime and I am actually cool with that. Full time volunteer work.

I’ll be working at a local animal rescue shelter, walking the dogs, playing with the animals, feeding & washing them and just general upkeep of our furry friends. I did specify that I will not assist in their euthanasia. I have seen too much death in my days. They assured me that they are a no kill center, but I think we all know what that means, they ship ‘em off to someone else who will put them, “to sleep”. So with that in mind, I will always look for loving homes for them.

The way I see it, it will help me by staying active, keeping my mind and heart strong and hopefully I will impress those who I work with that I can add them to my list of references for a paying job. All the while, taking care of our domesticated buddies who cannot care for themselves.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Congratulations on finding you something you enjoy doing to keep you occupied in the downturn.. a plus for you and a plus for the animals in your care! always great to hear.

Good luck on finding a paying job in the near future, but in the mean time.. enjoy

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Glad to hear, it is always good to keep yourself occupy and busy. You know you are contributing to a good cause.
edit on 9-6-2011 by MIDNIGHTSUN because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Yeah dude I just applied all over town, and after weeks of hearing no news I finally got a call back from a car wash. Unfortunately they aren't hiring for the summer so I have to wait until fall to start working.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
proud of you !! wish there were more folks like you! around here folks do this type of thing as court ordered comunity service..thank you for your kindness to our furry friends

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Congrats but you'll end up with a half dozen kittens before it's over with.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
Congrats but you'll end up with a half dozen kittens before it's over with.

True!
Congratulations! Have fun with your new furry friends!!

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TupacShakur

Don't give up. It is said that connections will get you a job faster than a education. I have been in this town for twelve years now and everyone I know has gone belly up in this economy or is struggling to stay on their feet. No one is hiring here either. I'm looking nationwide now.

Unfortunately, I may even apply for a contractor’s job overseas if this keeps up, but would prefer not to. I'd rather go on vacation overseas, than to war. I've had that cup 'o coffee and don't want it refilled.

And yep, I do see the irony of that last statement. Going to a war zone to survive? Is it worth the price?

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

That would be true, if I had a house. I'd be the crazy Dog & Cat guy in the neighborhood.

But I'm realistic, I gave up my two best buddies (A Border collie/German sheppard mix & Maine coon) awhile back to a good friend as I don't know where life is taking me. They have told me that I can have them back once things settle down. But I can also see that they have bonded in their new life, so I won't be going there. Unless they actually want me to take them back.

I still get to see 'em and they are always happy to see me.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Haha that's quite the paradox, sort of like Rambo finding peace in the war torn Thailand.

I'm sure I'll get lucky and find a job if I keep applying. I would even settle for minimum wage, $7.25 is decent for somebody who's just starting collge.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by TupacShakur

Best of luck to ya. Life's flippin' hard sometimes. CARPE DIEM buddy!

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   

hey dude,

Much respect

As someone who sees animal welfare as a priority I salute you

Its an unfortunate reality of our world that sacrifice and compassion are not rewarded like greed and selfishness, maybe my head is in the clouds but Ive always believed if your doing something you love the means to support yourself by it wont be far away.

hang in there mate and dont lose the positive attitude ya got

new topics

top topics

join