It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trucks

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Whether you own a truck for a buisness, utility, fun, outdoors or just because you like the way it looks; you can't deny the appeal of the truck on modern american culture. Originally designed as a work horse, the truck has morphed from a utility vehicle to a street custom, lowrider, drag, monster truck and everything in between.

Opponents of the truck usually go for the throat, gas mileage and emissions, yet supporters take the high road and show the positive response on society and truck culture by the bonds formed during their construction and revisions, and you can't deny their use in the workforce.

I have always been a fan of trucks in one form or another, mostly because of their multi purpose nature, and even more recently the adaptations of car companies to make them more comfortable like modern passenger cars; so much so that crossovers are becoming popular as the line is blurred.

Personally I have owned at least four pickups in my life, starting with the first crossover, the 1974 El Camino.

This picture is just a representation of my original car, not actually mine. My first car purchase was a 1974 El Camino with a corvette 327 swapped in it; I paid $300 for it.

My second truck was probably my favorite, a 1971 C10 Pickup.

Again, not my actual truck, just a picture, but mine was an original forest green model with a 2/4 drop and a custom built 350 by me in my garage. It was my first solo engine build without my dad, and I was extremely proud of it. I sold it not because I wanted to, but because California gas prices made me due to my income.

Flash forward to five years ago and I picked up a 1974 Chevy Crew Cab Dually, something I always wanted. It not only combined the cool factor of the 70's chevy truck design, but it also had enough room to fit a family of 8 and haul anything I could ever put behind it.

It had it's share of rust being a Michigan truck, but a frame off restoration on these trucks was nothing unfamiliar to me having already rebuilt at least four of them with my dad over the years. The problem I had was locating a cab and the means to get it up to michigan. Unfortunately once I got it to the point I needed it, I had no way of actually getting it. Sucks, but such is life, so sadly this truck was sold for parts and the remainder sent to the big melting pot in the sky. (Local Metal yard)

A short follow up to this was a 1984 Shortbed 4x4, an offroad build for my dad. Another small block rebuild and a good set of mud tires was all this truck needed to be great off the beaten path.

My dad traded this truck off for a newer chevy because he couldn't afford the gas either, but I still miss it as if it was my own; probably because I built it.

The most recent and still owned truck in my possession is my 1977 Chevy 4x4.

Completely stock except for an aftermarket intake and carb, this truck is a blast to drive and takes me back to my childhood.

I have a huge parts collection from my simliar rebuilds, so parts are in plentiful supply for me on this newest build. I have a 4" lift kit for it, a 4-bolt small block to build a stroker motor and a couple transmissions/transfer cases for spares.

It is obvious that I have a love for trucks, but how many others are out there who are just as passionate about their trucks as I am?

Whether your idea of a truck is a Ford, Dodge, Toyota, Chevy, Mazda, Jeep, etc. etc. etc., you can't deny the appeal of trucks and there is no evidence that they are going away any time soon.

So, what kind of truck do you have? Feel free to post it and what you've done, or just discuss them in general.

King

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Why I love trucks over cars:

Also being a Michigander, hubby has now hit 2 deer on the same road in six months. Besides having to replace the hood once, we are still driving the truck. (course insurance will now only do PLPD on it, but hey, she's still runs great!)
How many cars can do that?

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Tell me about it, that is one of the reasons that I like the 70's for trucks, they are made of the best steel construction instead of plastic like 90+.

Throw a brush guard on it and you can hit almost anything and still keep going.

What kind of truck does he drive?

King

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Dodge, thinking of selling it though!

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I love my truck!

It goes where I want, hauls what I want.

I live in the Country so to have a truck is almost a birthright. To not have one is just not right.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnteBellum

Nice!

But to pretty for my taste. I'd be worried over a scratch so I couldn't use it as a 'TRUCK'.

Still cool tho.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I have an 01 extended cab dakota 4x4 with a Grooms 3.9l V6. I have the classic 15 inch "bullethole" shiny aluminum wheels, with 31x10.50 Laredo tires. It is jet black with all the decals removed and holes bonded over, with dark as the law will allow tinted windows. It has a very clean custom look, and I am working on a custom exhaust for it now (NOT a loud exhaust, just a better flowing one). I love that truck, sometimes wish it had the small V8, but the 6cyl has some oomph to it. Oh- and its a standard, 5 speed. Have a towing package installed with a 2 inch drop hitch in the back due to the 4x4 suspension...and of course a bed mounted TOOL BOX!!! ahhh i love a tool box... And as far as gas mileage is concerned some of the newer trucks are pretty impressive

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
star and flag for trucks
I have had a few trucks. I got really into the minitruck world for awhile and drive a Mitsubishi Mighty Max that Im contemplating slamming on the ground. I have always liked low vehicles. I used to have a 84 Ford Ranger, that I did a 7-inch bodydrop on. I never finished it though because I bought a 67 Caddy. Now I have a 62 chevy C-10. Ive started to get into the rat rod thing, and thats the current look it sports now. All work done by me.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9c93be8fd2d3.jpg[/atsimg]
- Flat black paint, with scallops.
- Frenched in power antenna
- Shaved mirrors
- Apache hood swap
- Handmade roll pan.
- The front bumper is off of something else( I dont know what) but it didnt fit right, so I built custom brackets to make it fit closer to the body.
- Lowered as far as the torsion bars would go, without being unsafe. and heated springs in the back.

Future plans
- bodydrop so It will lay the rockers on the ground.
- air ride suspension,
- custom floor pans, and bed floor.
- Shave everything
- custom grille
- custom tailights
- And one major body mod, that has never been done, and I am going to keep top secret until I am done.

ps. the hood is not latched in that pic, it fits fine.

edit on 9-6-2011 by Cheesefacedogbone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kingalbrect79
Tell me about it, that is one of the reasons that I like the 70's for trucks, they are made of the best steel construction instead of plastic like 90+.

Throw a brush guard on it and you can hit almost anything and still keep going.

What kind of truck does he drive?

King

The best reason for the older trucks is that if something goes wrong, I can fix it in my driveway or even on the side of the road if necessary.

These days with newer models, you need computers and tools that most people don't have in their toolbox or even where to find it.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cheesefacedogbone
star and flag for trucks
I have had a few trucks. I got really into the minitruck world for awhile and drive a Mitsubishi Mighty Max that Im contemplating slamming on the ground. I have always liked low vehicles. I used to have a 84 Ford Ranger, that I did a 7-inch bodydrop on. I never finished it though because I bought a 67 Caddy. Now I have a 62 chevy C-10. Ive started to get into the rat rod thing, and thats the current look it sports now. All work done by me.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9c93be8fd2d3.jpg[/atsimg]
- Flat black paint, with scallops.
- Frenched in power antenna
- Shaved mirrors
- Apache hood swap
- Handmade roll pan.
- The front bumper is off of something else( I dont know what) but it didnt fit right, so I built custom brackets to make it fit closer to the body.
- Lowered as far as the torsion bars would go, without being unsafe. and heated springs in the back.

Future plans
- bodydrop so It will lay the rockers on the ground.
- air ride suspension,
- custom floor pans, and bed floor.
- Shave everything
- custom grille
- custom tailights
- And one major body mod, that has never been done, and I am going to keep top secret until I am done.

Nice job sir!

Now that's a TRUCK!

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnteBellum

Yowza!!! mighty fine!

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Absolutely, I open the hood on my old truck, and there are about 5 things that could go wrong, You can afford to almost keep a spare of everything.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Kingalbrect79

I like that '84 Chevy you got there..

This was my baby, before some mindless wanderer slammed into me at 50 mph.. Bad deal!

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I just bought an 1984 M1008. Love the truck more than any other truck ive ever had. When it comes to trucks, simple and rugged is what it's all about. Modern trucks have too much crap built into them.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
It's all good until you got to go get gas!

Would love to get an old GMC Syclone or Typhoon. . .

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Cheesefacedogbone

My brother had a 63 fleetside long bed that we built a 327 for. It was completely done inside and under the hood, all we were waiting for was to finish the body work and someone stole it. It was recovered a week later less than 20 miles from the house with the engine missing and nothing else.

We have a very strong suspicion that it was one of his friends that took it because only a few people knew what was under the hood, on the outside it looked like a sleeper/original w/rust. He never got it back and sold the rest of the truck out of depresssion. Sometimes he wishes he kept it, but he had a family shortly after, so he couldn't afford it either.

Personally I love rat rods, and that is one sexy truck. Kudos to you, and good luck with future mods.

King

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
:You are way off base claiming 1974 was the first crossover. Perhaps you were referring to yours and not when they first appeared which was in 1964.

I had a '74 El Camino SS with standard swivel buckets and floor shift for eleven years. I outfitted it with a Laguna grill, it got pretty raggedy toward the end, but I loved it.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

I love a clean modern truck too, although as another poster mentioned, it's extremely hard to keep it scratch free, hence it's not really a truck any more.

I have a 2004 Colorado, and within two weeks I'm going to have to give it back to the bank. I'm super bummed and I won't go into details, but all I will say is that I blame the Michigan work market. (I could make more selling fries)

I had a custom set of billet 20's made from aircraft aluminum when the truck was 2 weeks old. They didn't make rims for that offset at the time, so it really turned some heads. I had the windows smoked and a flowmaster exhaust installed. I was a certified audio tech at the time so I installed a set of competition Orion 15" subs and a Memphis amp. I had planned to airbag it, but unfortunately that dream will never come to fruition.

In any case it's been a great truck and I am heartbroken to have to let it go, I know how a new vehicle can get a hold of you, but I still prefer the old school.

King

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Trucks rule.

Let me see your prius do this!

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun
:You are way off base claiming 1974 was the first crossover. Perhaps you were referring to yours and not when they first appeared which was in 1964.

I know, I was speaking generally. El Camino's were the first un-official crossover of a truck/car, I wasn't stating 1974 specifically. I never had an SS, but I still loved it all the same.

King

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join