It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hope you like your Air and Pintball guns Pink cause California Is Taking Away Your Black guns

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
California Senate Bill 798 has made it over two hurdles ... a Public Safety Committee vote in March and a vote last week by state senators ...and now heads to the Assembly, where it will be scrutinized and argued.

California State Senator Kevin de Leon thinks your black airguns are dangerous and has proposed CA Senate Bill 798 to stop you from having them. SB 798 states that all airguns MUST be painted brightly. No more black guns!

Some background
In December 2010, three boys were shooting their airsoft guns in a public park. It was dark, but their pistols had orange muzzles. The police confronted them and ordered them to put down their guns. Two boys complied but the third did not. He was shot and suffered severe injuries.

To prevent another such occurrence, Sen. de Leon had a knee-jerk reaction and wrote SB 798 to stop EVERYONE from buying, owning or shooting black airguns.

I'm not talking about the little bright red muzzle cap... The bill, if approved, would require all imitation guns to be painted a bright yellow, blue, pink or orange or made translucent.... the entire gun... but it gets better... their not stopping at just Airsoft and BB guns now there talking Paintball guns too...
and if you think this silly law doest effect you think again... many of the companies who make these guns do so there in Calif... That's where Airsoft is and they would have to comply

Here's one story from Ammo Land
Another story from Fort Wayne Ill
This last linkl has a great little peice on this stupid bill
edit on 9-6-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
well paintball in cali is now dead, try sneaking around when you have a piece of florescent pink plastic in you hands

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
The law makes sense...playing the role of devils advocate, what would prevent criminals from powder coating a weapon similar colors to try to elude suspicion from authorities...?

What about lighters in the shape of guns?

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

any cop or person who cant tell the difference between a paintball weapon and a real one doesnt deserve to be one

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
/facepalm
fail cali is fail...
Need I say more? California should be more worried about their economic situation instead of requiring law abiding citizens to paint their guns.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Krystian
The law makes sense...playing the role of devils advocate, what would prevent criminals from powder coating a weapon similar colors to try to elude suspicion from authorities...?

What about lighters in the shape of guns?

Bad guys don't want a gun that looks like a toy... they want one that intimidates you into giving them what they want... and as the law is written as """all Imitation guns""" then lighters in the shape of guns would have to be brightly colored too

Edit to add... If I give my boys some neon Pink paint ball guns it'll take them 30 seconds to find a can of black spray paint

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
We have multi coloured (or trasnparent) BB guns in the UK (it is pretty hard to find an old school air gun)

The only thing it will do is indicate to a 'cop' before or after he shoots you, that you actually had a low powered pellet gun. Cops in the states shoot 1st ask later - so I see this achieving zilch (apart from confusing matters)

Guns are legal in the states so why even bother? I can see on one hand that it would possibly stop people using 'fake guns' in 'stick ups' however, would you not just get a real gun if your intentions were ....

edit on 9-6-2011 by ainsley because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Airsoft, BB, and Paint ball guns are NOT toys, and should not be classified and treated as such. The bill is ridiculous, as with almost every bill passed or brought up in California regarding guns and our second amendment rights.

Yay California...

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

. If I give my boys some neon Pink paint ball guns

then you definitatly live in cali. even before stupid laws

sorry couldnt resist

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
im going to cali with a freshly painted big pink magnum to cause some mischief later if anyones interested, it should be a good night.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I'm not normally one to agree with this type of thing but I find it hard to argue against the Airsoft gun aspect of it. Speaking as someone who has owned many high end airsoft guns, there are many available that are visually exact replicas of their more deadly counterparts. Compare this airsoft gun to the real thing. The difference is very difficult to spot and I imagine it would be exponentially more difficult in a tense situation.

As I said before, I'm not a fan of legislation such as this and I love airsoft guns myself, but the reasoning behind it is solid.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
any cop or person who cant tell the difference between a paintball weapon and a real one doesnt deserve to be one

A person who has never seen a paintball gun before, may not recognize one.
So what you are saying is that a person who has never seen a paintball gun, does not deserve to be a person??

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Yeah this is an utterly retarded idea really isn't it? Like mentioned, what is to stop a real gun being sprayed the same colour... LIKE THIS

link   
reply to post by warbird03

I've been around guns all my life... made a living toting a firearm.. taught other's how to shoot and was even once a member of a National Shooting teem...

only an inexperienced idiot could mistake an airsoft from the real thing...
there are very strict rules of engagement in regards to use of deadly force...

"It looked like a real gun" is not an excuse to open fire upon a child...
Blaming the airsoft for the accident is ludacris... I blame the LEO and lack of proper training...

link   
Pink Pistol Link

pink gun image

I can't help but think this is another piece of useless legislation. Indeed the OP article stated it as a "knee jerk" reaction from the guy who introduced the bill.

Since gun manufacturers offer custom colored grips, will legislation be introduced to bar them from producing said aesthetic customization pieces? Seems that the bill would open a larger can of worms re: restriction of trade on a product (as yet) still legal to be sold.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Krystian

This is what I thought. Our local shop has started dura-coating firearms on custom order and have a few pink ones on the rack. They also do a great job of covering AR style long-guns in cammo or wood-grain patterns. The latter looks pretty cool. I don't have BB or Airsoft guns (much prefer sending lead down range!) but I wonder about people putting orange tips on the real deal. It could make a target hesitate, and that could be an advantage.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

A person who has never seen a paintball gun before, may not recognize one.

Then that person has NO business enforcing the law. Ignorance of the law (or in this case, identification of firearms vs non-firearms) is no excuse.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
there are numerous pink ladys guns out there.these are real weapons..do you now have to have them blued??

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
My daughter owns a pink remington shotgun...
On the stock it reads
"Shoot Like A Girl...If You Can!"

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

what that is aimed at is so that the police do not shoot a kid.

now most cops i know spend alot of their times around guns so it would mean they do have that knowledge.

any responsible cop would spend their time learning the differences.

but really what it boils down to is government coming to the rescue to save people because they are just so stupid and dont know any better.

its not the state governments right to diminish the power of the individual or to become the parentt of the states children.

the parent has the right and the ability to teach their children to be safe and be responsibile it is not the state govenrments place to do so.

california is the epitomy of "we gotta save them all because they are all stupid"

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join