It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alabama governor signs nation's toughest immigration law

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Alabama governor signs nation's toughest immigration law

news.yahoo.com

Republican Governor Robert Bentley on Thursday signed into law a crackdown on illegal immigration in Alabama that both supporters and critics consider the toughest in the nation.

Under the new measure, police must detain someone they suspect of being in the country illegally if the person cannot produce proper documentation when stopped for any reason.

It also will be a crime to knowingly transport or harbor someone who is in the country illegally. The law imposes penalties on businesses
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
It was a fellow Native American who pointed out this story to me... she called all a tizzy over this..

But Dave we both know a lot of Native Americans don't have ID, never did, never will...

What if they pick up one of our people and try to deport them????

My answer was... yeah and where they going to Deport them too??? Georgia???

This so reminds me of the 1950s McCarthyism's... only now it's not "Communist" or "Red plots."... it's Hey you dirty Mexican... Get out our country...

Well this is Alabama... Maybe they can address it as a Bussing issue?

news.yahoo.com

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare

This so reminds me of the 1950s McCarthyism's... only now it's not "Communist" or "Red plots."... it's Hey you dirty Mexican... Get out our country...

It's more like "You're in our country illegally, get out."

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Im sure they're tribal identification will be just fine. Its Mexicans they are after not American Indians. Im sure some will be picked up out of pure idiocy but im sure it will embarrass the law dog who couldn't tell the difference back at base.

As an American you should be happy they are being rounded up as you and I are paying their bills let alone they get free health care while they are here raping America.

Im Half American Indian before you choose to bash anything I say.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I broke this story earlier, but he hadn't signed it yet. Glad the states are finally taking matters into their own hands. I praise the governor for having the nads to sign this! If enough states do this, the feds will have to do something. The people are fed up with this being allowed to happen for so long!

And to the previous posters point, I am a Cherokee so don't go there with the racism card!
edit on 9-6-2011 by haarvik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evola

It's more like "You're in our country illegally, get out."

I agree. If you're stopped in Canada by the police, and can't provide proper documentation, it equals mucho trouble.

It's the same in just about every single country in the world. Citizens know that they should carry id on them at all times, even in western democratic nations. No ID = Trouble.

Should be the same in the USA . This law isn't doing anything that isn't already being done in nearly every nation in the world.

Anyone who is found in the USA illegally, should be treated exactly as they would be according to the laws of their home country, not according to the laws of the USA, especially if they commit a crime.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
But how do you determine that they are here illegally???
color of their skin, hair, they way they talk...

I was born and Raised in North Central New Mexico about a hundred miles Northwest of Albuquerque...
Whenever we saw white folks we knew they weren't from around here... does that make it okay to start asking for citizenship papers... because they have blond hair and blue eyes... what about a funny accent??? surely they cant be Americans if they talk funny right???

At what point does this stop being an immigration policy and turn into simply abuse of the justice system???

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

According to the law, they need probable cause. Now that is up to interpretation by the police, but in my experience that means, no seat belt, public intoxication, domestic disturbance, speeding, etc. I don't think they are going to pull over everyone who has dark skin. That would end the law quicker than anything.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
we shud adopt these laws in the uk, we are full of immigrants, are hospitals are full of them getting their free ops and claiming there free benefits, haves a kid here goes home and then can claim for that child off our benifits untill they are 16 years of age...

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
It's about damn time the states did what the federal government refuses to do! We need to be sending these people back to their country and not housing them in our jails.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Cool... 1 state down, 49 to go. Unless of course you're Obama, then it's 56 to go.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
About damn time. For once I am proud to say I live in Alabama!

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

I'm not sure Obama can count that high...
not enough fingers and toes..

But I hear he's got friends from the old Chicago Neighbourhood that can whack a few undesirables if need be..

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

I'm not sure Obama can count that high...
not enough fingers and toes..

But I hear he's got friends from the old Chicago Neighbourhood that can whack a few undesirables if need be..

I was just making fun of when he stated that he had visited all 57 states back during the campaign.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by pyrodude
It's about damn time the states did what the federal government refuses to do! We need to be sending these people back to their country and not housing them in our jails.

I think that if we send them back to their respective countries they will only come back on the next train/truck/boat/plane headed north (or south if they're Canadian, but seriously... is that even a problem?) Instead we should send them to the South Pole. If they make it back to America from there they can have amnesty.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

It was a fellow Native American who pointed out this story to me... she called all a tizzy over this..

But Dave we both know a lot of Native Americans don't have ID, never did, never will...

What if they pick up one of our people and try to deport them????

My answer was... yeah and where they going to Deport them too??? Georgia???

Well this is Alabama... Maybe they can address it as a Bussing issue?

news.yahoo.com

There are far more Mexicans living in the U.S. legally than illegally, and people don't mind that. No ones cares about Mexicans, they open good restaurants (mostly) and they are usually respectful. An "illegal" immigrant no matter where they are from is what people don't like, because the TV tells them that these people are criminals who bring drugs and crime in the U.S.

edit on 6/9/2011 by Drezden because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by haarvik

According to the law, they need probable cause. Now that is up to interpretation by the police, but in my experience that means, no seat belt, public intoxication, domestic disturbance, speeding, etc. I don't think they are going to pull over everyone who has dark skin. That would end the law quicker than anything.

It says if you can't show proof of residence or citizenship. Most of the violations that you mentioned usually see the violator going to jail anyway.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   

I know...
and I was making a snide comment about when he was director of the Developing Communities Project (DCP), Chicago's far South Side...

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Drezden

What planet are you on? Because on my planet they are rude and disrespectful. They don't know what manners are. Their kids just jump to the front of any line, and the parents let them. Their toddlers run rampant in the stores and they don't do anything about it. Usually respectful my butt! The only respectful ones I have met were NOT from Mexico but rather central America.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

I know...
and I was making a snide comment about when he was director of the Developing Communities Project (DCP), Chicago's far South Side...

Oh, well I have no idea about that! That was a little over my head. ;-)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join