It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greece bailout talks: Germany sets hard line, says private investors must step up

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Greece bailout talks: Germany sets hard line, says private investors must step up

www.washingtonpost.com

German officials are demanding that private investors contribute a “substantial” amount toward any new bailout of Greece and warned that the country faces an “unorderly default” within weeks if an agreement is not reached.

The demand, conveyed to European and International Monetary Fund officials in a letter this week from German finance minister Wolfgang Schauble, came as negotiations over Greece reach a do-or-die stage.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Meanwhile the pressure on the Greek people continues to rise. The CIA has warned that a coupe d'etat by the military has become a possibility. We're reaching a scenario in which the Greeks can't bare the weight of the ever-increasing burden any longer. I wonder how long it is going to take for them to reach a mental state where people will feel that there's too little to lose to sit by idly swallowing the cost of the mess created by others.

It has become clear that Greece is a hopeless case. They are going to go down; one way or the other. The general tendency in countries like my own is that the billions of bail out money spent on Greece is like throwing money out of the window. Politicians in my country have suggested that if the government comes up with another request to pay a share of a new bail out package, they will refuse to give approval. It's money we'll never get back. Moreover, we are made to take responsibility for the reckless gambling of banks. In Germany, the Federal Constitutional Court is to challenge Greek bailout, claiming that it would be an unconstitutional action.

It wouldn't surprise me if history is in the making here, it wouldn't surprise me if the Greeks are the first to take matters into their own hands and initiate the fight against the corporate criminal machine.

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
From what I understand, the IMF is looking to give Greece another bailout but it would conflict with current IMF standards. There is no way Greece could recover within the next couple of years.

So what are our options? Military coup or private funding which could lead to the government being owned by the wealthy. Either way, their options are very few and I don;t like the way this is going.

Is it time to let Greece default and deal with the consequences?
edit on 9-6-2011 by sheepslayer247 because: spellin's

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
This brings to mind the mysterious group that made an offer to the UK Parliament last year through one of the House of Lords members, that they had "enough money to pay off the debt of any country in the world" so long as that country didn't ask where the money came from.

Private investments in Governments have been done through bond issues. Trouble is, I highly doubt that any legitimate private investor with enough money and no political agenda of their own would touch the Greek Government with a barge pole - it's a very, very bad investment with no guarantee of getting ANY money back.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

It's making me furious to see the common people being driven to poverty while those responsible continue to make billions of profits and the elected representatives whom are supposed to protect us sit by idly with no urge to act. No, we'll just implement austerity measures on those stupid sheeple, they will swallow it anyway. Like I mentioned on another thread, Deutsche Bank reported €2,1 billion in profits for the first quarter alone. Why aren't their profits used to pay for the crap they have created?
edit on 9-6-2011 by Mdv2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2

It's making me furious to see the common people being driven to poverty while those responsible continue to make billions of profits and the elected representatives whom are supposed to protect us sit by idly with no urge to act. No, we'll just implement austerity measures on those stupid sheeple, they will swallow it anyway. Like I mentioned on another thread, Deutsche Bank reported €2,1 billion in profits for the first quarter alone. Why aren't their profits used to pay for the crap they have created?
edit on 9-6-2011 by Mdv2 because: (no reason given)

Not only are their proifits not being used, US Banks were able to use tax deductions on following year profits to pay back the bail out money that they were given by the US taxpayer as they were able to offset their losses against taxes from profits the following year, as per current corporate tax rules.

Therefore, not only did the US taxpayer bail out their banks, they also paid the banks to repay the bail out money, effectively bailing them out TWICE.

Outraged? You bet.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Well I am greek and live in Athens (centre of everything basicaly) and NOONE ever heard about dictatorship. IF there will be one it will be forced by CIA etc etc. There is no way in Hell that otherwise there would even be a slight idea for dictatorship.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
If Greece defaults then Ireland and Portugal would not be far behind so this is a European wide issue. Argentina did quite well after defaulting on their debt back in 2002, but initially there were runs on banks and curfews implemented to keep the Argentinian populace in check. Any "new Drachma" currency that Greece prints after the default is likely to lose about half its value so austerity will likely be the only practical path to follow.

I doubt any kind of dictatorship would work after a default scenario in Greece. Due to the massive domino effect in Europe the G20, G7 groups would surely be choreographing the event.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Never ceases to amaze me. "Private Investors"? need to step up? Every government on this planet exists because of "Private Invetstors". That would be us, the taxpayers, whom the government takes money from so they can blow it on stupid stuff, like, oh I don't know, let's just say the TSA, and other useless things like that!

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by CosmosKid
That would be us, the taxpayers

Not necessarily.

Private individuals also own companies like GE, Goldman Sachs, Lockheed Martin, all the banks that make up the Federal Reserve, etc.

The richest 1% of people in the US alone own a substantial amount of the total wealth in the entire country. They are obscenely wealthy.

If we are targeting those people, then good. They are the collective reason behind these economic problems, not the middle or lower classes who are increasingly poorer and poorer, obviously having their money leached away by the wealthy "elite." Suck these "elite" dry for a change. There is no point in sitting on an immense amount of wealth while everyone around you is starving. These people are moral criminals, and I don't care what capitalist or communist propaganda you can muster up to make excuses for this. The French revolution was fought over the same thing happening there.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   

It's making me furious to see the common people being driven to poverty while those responsible continue to make billions of profits and the elected representatives whom are supposed to protect us sit by idly with no urge to act.

??

Wasn't it the "common people" who were benefiting from cradle-to-grave civil service jobs??
IIRC 20% of Greece's working population was in civil service jobs, paid for by running massive deficits and lying about them?

And generous-to-the-point-of-stupidity holiday and retirement provisions??

And refusing to consider electing any government that might do anything about their own pork bellying?

Sorry - but this is nonsense. Greece has been living for years off the largesse of hte rest of the world by lying through it's teeth about how much it owes, and living beyond its means - the the poor ol' "commno people" were cimplicit in this deception.

I don't wish them ill - but if you live beyond your means for years on end then why shouldn't you have to pay back your debts??!!

edit on 9-6-2011 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
If Greece defaults get ready to see the German banks go under aswell, they hold most of the Greek bonds. I also wouldnt blame the Greek people like the poster above me does. They were lied to by scumbag poloticians who worked with Goldman Sachs to hide the debts they were incurring. Lets be fair when we start the blame game, theres plenty of it to go around.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alda1981
Well I am greek and live in Athens (centre of everything basicaly) and NOONE ever heard about dictatorship. IF there will be one it will be forced by CIA etc etc. There is no way in Hell that otherwise there would even be a slight idea for dictatorship.

Isn't greece already ruled by a globalist pro Washington prime minster? not to mention he spent the most time of his live in america and britian so basically the current leader isnt really a home born neutral citizen his an outsider with experiences from the NGOs groups.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
Sorry - but this is nonsense. Greece has been living for years off the largesse of hte rest of the world by lying through it's teeth about how much it owes, and living beyond its means - the the poor ol' "commno people" were cimplicit in this deception.

It's not right and too short-sighted to blame the crimes committed by politicians and corporations on the ordinary Greek family. Tell me, what do the American people do to stop their government from being corrupt and destroying their country at rapid pace? Nothing and that's not a surprise and not a shame either. I suppose it's part of human nature to only take high risks that could seriously harm their personal situation (e.g. family) when they feel they have no other choice or too little to lose to not take that particular risk. That's why revolutions always begin with a few brave men that set an example, the masses will follow much later.

It's the bunch of rich few elites who enrich themselves at the expensive of the masses. Yes, you can blame the masses for letting it happen, but ask yourself first what you do to stop these crimes from happening.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

It's making me furious to see the common people being driven to poverty while those responsible continue to make billions of profits and the elected representatives whom are supposed to protect us sit by idly with no urge to act.

??

Wasn't it the "common people" who were benefiting from cradle-to-grave civil service jobs??
IIRC 20% of Greece's working population was in civil service jobs, paid for by running massive deficits and lying about them?

And generous-to-the-point-of-stupidity holiday and retirement provisions??

And refusing to consider electing any government that might do anything about their own pork bellying?

I don't wish them ill - but if you live beyond your means for years on end then why shouldn't you have to pay back your debts??!!

edit on 9-6-2011 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

Can you guarantee us that if we'll do so,the new government wont be overthrown or affected by outside powers?
We participate in a game that it wasn't made by us so keep your finger out of our faces.

Just because i know you can't see the bigger picture i'll make it clear for you: As long as the global "players" stay the same (with their people's blessings),the rest of us can't do a thing.
I don't know if i'm right but by your post it seems that your country must be one of the "players".If so,stop worrying about which party we vote and start wondering if you vote the right people or not.
Having politicians,bankers or even whole countries under your control costs money...

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
So you think it is OK to not live within your means, and then to whine and cry when you have to pay your debts?

Can I borrow some money from you please?

My country is minuscule & heavily indebted & paying it's way out the hard way without IMF or Euro funds and without bank collapses either, so I have no sympathy for those who blame the logical consequences of their won short sightedness on everyone else.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

It is as much OK as it is to be always between the hammer and the anvil.I've said it before,having things under control costs so don't cry about it.When some countries will learn to keep their claws off others then we can discuss this.

Sure you can borrow money as long as we can make decisions for you and tell you what you can and cannot do.Deal?

You don't need to tell me where are you from,i'm not interested anyway.It's obvious from your comments that you're not in the same spot.

new topics

top topics

join