It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In the beginning, the temple resembled a hoar house.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
In the beginning, the temple resembled a hoar house.

In studying ancient history of the advances of technology used in temples, and knowing that the first prostitutes were temple prostitutes, and also knowing that alcohol and psychotropic drug use was common, I tried to envision the reality of just what the temple and early religion was all about.

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

We generally envisage a large building that held many but in truth, the early churches where more like the home churches used today in smaller communities. I think they may have begun as places of worship but to early man, worship looked quite different than it does today.

Churches latter expanded along with the populations and used the latest technology to draw the crowd and the best technology and God would win the hearts of the patrons. These patrons were mostly poor people and for them to be persuaded to part with their hard earned wealth took the best effort that science and persuasion powers of the priests could muster.

The temple then, by the time Jesus came along to throw his temper tantrum, was a place of commerce, theatre for myth reading, partying and prostitution.

en.wikipedia.org...

www.truthcontest.com...

Just how important the theology of whatever God was worshipped we can never know. We can assume, because of the vast number of Gods that their theology was not important to them as they changed from one God to the other. We can know that the wealth that the temples amassed was earned with methods, that many today, would consider rather odious. They were more like carnivals, speak easies and hoar houses.

en.wikipedia.org...

There is a hint in the following--

www.biblegateway.com...

where the writer seems to be bemoaning the use of these various delights yet not quite calling them illegal.

Even when I was young, the small local church was where I learned of drinking, partying and key clubs. It was rumored that every church had a key club but I have no direct proof of this last. Drinking and drugs though, I can vouch for.

From such is where our, ever so proper moral religions were born. From what we today would call immoral activity. Sacrifice, indulgences, fees for drink and drugs and prostitution gave birth to religion and financed what we have today.

Was religion born of what we would call corruption?

Were the ancient battles between churches just what we would call turf wars for wealth and the various magic tricks that the churches used to compete with each other?

Today, with religions that are based on fantasy, miracle and magic, are priests just doing the same Flim-Fam job on believers for their wealth?

IOW. Are priests just con artists?

www.megavideo.com...

Regards
DL

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Greatest I am

Interesting! Not to be the spelling police but:

Hoar defined :hoar/hôr/Adjective: Grayish white; gray or gray-haired with age

Whore defined : whore/hôr/Noun: A prostitute.
Verb: (of a woman) Work as a prostitute.

FYI

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Prostitution is something that is, was, and will always will be a part of human culture, unfortunately. It's sad to think that it even goes back to thousands of years ago.

Oh, and it's spelled whore

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

While i do agree with your overall views of what the temples were at that point in time, it is not to say that all people of that time didnt care much about theology because there was a pantheon of gods.
Many relgions have embraced the power of the sexual self as an act of creation and have placed many gods in various points of power as their station suited them
We can only speculate how they percived relgion .
while the temples and areas jesus was having his "temple" tantrum over was undoubtably corrupted into commercial markets.
this is not the case in other regions and cultures.
And we could argue that in todays society meany of the so called temles that ask us to follow jesus have again turned down the same road.
but thank you for the post, there is an element of truth to it

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by QuantumPhysicist

They don't call it 'The oldest profession' without a reason... its been going on forever!
2nd line
edit on 6/9/2011 by Nspekta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

"Hoar houses"? They were cold and covered in a rime of frost? Hmm, somehow that doesn't seem possible in the climate, either then or now, of the Middle East except possibly overnight during the winter. The word, sir, that you are trying for, and missing horribly, is "whore". And you are incorrect - the priestesses and priests of the temples were not whores. In certain instances, sex was part of temple worship, for example the Sacred Marriage of Inanna and a city's king that brought fertility and blessings to the land and the people. Most of the old archaeological theories on "sacred prostitution" or "temple prostitutes" have been, with better research and translation, proven wrong. But, even if you were right, what's so bad about worshipping whatever deity you choose to honor with sex? It's a wonderful life-affirming action that must be pleasing to deity since he/she/it/they created it.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
LOL this thread is epic!

S&F

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Yes in the very Old days you gave money to the temple priestesses.
in them days it was not they same as now.
now! sex is a Bad thing.
That is the thing that has changed.
Sex is a good thing.
cheating with no permission ends relationships.
Make Love not War.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by LibertyLover

"Hoar houses"? They were cold and covered in a rime of frost? Hmm, somehow that doesn't seem possible in the climate, either then or now, of the Middle East except possibly overnight during the winter. The word, sir, that you are trying for, and missing horribly, is "whore". And you are incorrect - the priestesses and priests of the temples were not whores. In certain instances, sex was part of temple worship, for example the Sacred Marriage of Inanna and a city's king that brought fertility and blessings to the land and the people. Most of the old archaeological theories on "sacred prostitution" or "temple prostitutes" have been, with better research and translation, proven wrong. But, even if you were right, what's so bad about worshipping whatever deity you choose to honor with sex? It's a wonderful life-affirming action that must be pleasing to deity since he/she/it/they created it.

I agree but you will note, that much of Christianity thinks the whole world was cursed because A & E had at it.
The ancients used to say that it was better to never have sex if your intent was getting closer to God.
That kinda kills your hypothesis.
You are right. A bit of research does wonders.

Regards
DL

new topics

top topics

join