It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India outsourcing jobs ... to the USA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
For an anti-American like me, this is surely one of the most richly rewarding news stories I've read for months.

Mumbai-based company Aegis Communications has started outsourcing it's call centre jobs to the United States.

India’s outsourcing giants — faced with rising wages at home — have looked for growth opportunities in the United States. But with Washington crimping visas for visiting Indian workers, some companies such as Aegis are slowly hiring workers in North America, where their largest corporate customers are based. In this evolution, outsourcing has come home.

Washington Post

I wonder how Americans view this today ? Especially those unemployed. Would you work for this company on the wages offered ?

Would you ? Could you ?

India outsourcing to the USA ... how the mighty have fallen

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Isn't that great?

Kinda like a boomrang effect.

Of course people will take those jobs. Why would'nt they?

Hmmmm flipping burgers or answering phones?

If you had to choose? Answer phones? Why not?

I hope the trend continues into manufacturing.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Niall197

hey red back,(Revolutionary slang) we are all in the same boat. When america falls so will the rest of the world.
edit on 9-6-2011 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   

India outsourcing to the USA ... how the mighty have fallen

Many European countries and Japanese companies use to outsource jobs to the U.S. too, so I don't see why this is so shocking.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by niceguybob

from my experiances id would rather flip burgers....

Youd be supprised how stupid the majority of the baby boomers are. Sitting on a phone talking to one with any sort of technological problem is torture. Mix in a foreign accent and your shure to have the phone call end in frustration and anger.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I've been offering my design services at rates that compete with overseas outsourcing for years, but I still get emails from overseas companies that think they can do a better job at S.E.O. How do they find my website and email address? It because I optimized my website to get very high rankings. Once a company called me and did a search for my keywords while they were on the phone with me and I was first on every search! The sales person must have felt pretty silly telling me they could improve my ranking! Regardless, lower rates seem to most businesses to equate with lower quality.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

I hope this trend continues. I long for the day when I, as an American, can call a customer service center and speak to a voice whose accent I can actually understand and whom I don't have to ask to repeat themselves every few words because I honestly do not know what the heck they are saying. Plus, $12-$14 an hour with up to $730 a month in bonuses isn't chicken scratch. $37 K per year is more than I made my first year out of college with a Civil Engineering degree.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I read about this weeks prior.
Guess employees in India want more pay. Vicious cycle. Don't work for the companies, let them cave in just like many Americans did, when their jobs were sent away. The employees are not to be trusted or even respected.
edit on 9-6-2011 by dreamingawake because: more

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Hey thanks for the great news.

I lost a great job working as a Beta Tester/Tech Support due to outsourcing to India.
Now maybe we can finally get someone on the other end of the line we can actually understand. The last time I had to use tech support I spent almost ten minutes of the call asking him to repeat his questions.

I to this day still don't know fully what they were asking. I just got tired and said

"Yeah"

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Its got nothing to do with the decline of any nation. It is a trend that has been going on for some time and is based purely on economics.

The days when you could source work to pennys on the dollar to India are long gone. A thorough analysis would show that you save at best 15% in India. Coupled with the marginal savings are the soft costs of lost productivity and poor service. With respect to any activity where a company specific knowledge or human interaction is critical, off-shoring those functions has simply shown not be be very effective. For example, turnover is extremely high in India, making knowledge transfer and the resulting disruption of service an issue. The countries that are moving ahead in the off-shoring markets are Poland, Vietnam, Cambodia and to a lesser extent, China.

There are many communities in the US with well educated workers that can provide a better service and international firms have been building out call and operations centers in places like West Virginia for a long time. Economics also comes into play with government contracts. The government can certainly outsource, but it can't off-shore. How does an Indian company secure a fat state government contract? They buy some real estate in that state and perform the work with in-state workers.

Its labor arbitrauge, same as it always was.

The cheapest and most effective method of outsourcing is without question off-shoring the high end, commoditized engineering work and in-shoring the human interface components.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

I love news like this. But why didn't the company look first to English-speaking countries that cheaper than America like Philippines or New Zealand is beyond me.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Ok, wait.
First they take American jobs when corporations started outsourcing work to India.
Now, they want to take American jobs by coming here...and vying for our jobs,...here...with massive unemployment already rampant among American citizens.

I'm supposed to applaud this?
You know, more and more I think, there's a lot to be said for isolationism.

top topics

join