It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why would you enlist ?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Most of you don't know GallopingHordes, in fact I daresay none of you do...

I, however, most assuredly do. She's my big sister. She enlisted in the US Navy while I was in junior high school... I remember getting letters from cool spots like Crete, Scotland, Hawaii, and a few other places not quite so cool as those. Her posting in Crete was just before, during, and just after the dust up with Qaddafi over the "line of death", and the various European terrorist attacks sponsored by the good Colonel. She, and her fellow sailors, and Marines, and all the others were there to stand between us, and the things that go bump in the night.

She's told me of nights spent patrolling the perimeter because word came down from on high that there was a better than even chance that an attack might take place. The stories always stop there... No amusing anecdotes to end the story harmlessly. They just stop. I've never found out exactly what happened, it seems to have been hushed up...

So tell me again about benefits? She wears scars that even I, her brother, and maybe the second closest person to her on this damned planet after her daughter, can't get her to talk about. For some of you to imply that she, and others like her, are somehow willing participants in some corporate warfare scenario... To say you've pissed me off, would be an understatement... I would suggest strongly that you climb out of your, oh so comfortable, living room/den/mom's basement, and take a looksee at the real world.

I am so very tired of people I respect more than I'm able to say being put down, and put upon, simply because some of you haven't a clue about the why's and wherefore's of why they've chosen to serve in whatever branch of the military.

You've issues with the govt. of the nation they gave their oaths to serve and defend? Fine. So do I. Don't you dare take it out on the soldiers, and sailors.

A job? Adventure? Service? All those reasons and more besides. Doesn't change the respect that the vast majority have earned.

She's my sister, and my best freind. I know her like none of you ever will. She joined, and served, to protect me. She served with honor and distinction during her time in the service of our country. Judge her when you can say the same.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Thank you.

For writing down the reason for me to post this thread, in better words then I could have.

I reckognize the stories that just stop... From whenever I talked to my grandfather about his time in a war.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas

Not trying to be ofensive in anyway here. I'm just asking questions. What did you get from you country actually ?

The freedom to do whatever I wanted to do.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
Most of you don't know GallopingHordes, in fact I daresay none of you do...

I, however, most assuredly do. She's my big sister. She enlisted in the US Navy while I was in junior high school... I remember getting letters from cool spots like Crete, Scotland, Hawaii, and a few other places not quite so cool as those. Her posting in Crete was just before, during, and just after the dust up with Qaddafi over the "line of death", and the various European terrorist attacks sponsored by the good Colonel. She, and her fellow sailors, and Marines, and all the others were there to stand between us, and the things that go bump in the night.

She's told me of nights spent patrolling the perimeter because word came down from on high that there was a better than even chance that an attack might take place. The stories always stop there... No amusing anecdotes to end the story harmlessly. They just stop. I've never found out exactly what happened, it seems to have been hushed up...

So tell me again about benefits? She wears scars that even I, her brother, and maybe the second closest person to her on this damned planet after her daughter, can't get her to talk about. For some of you to imply that she, and others like her, are somehow willing participants in some corporate warfare scenario... To say you've pissed me off, would be an understatement... I would suggest strongly that you climb out of your, oh so comfortable, living room/den/mom's basement, and take a looksee at the real world.

I am so very tired of people I respect more than I'm able to say being put down, and put upon, simply because some of you haven't a clue about the why's and wherefore's of why they've chosen to serve in whatever branch of the military.

You've issues with the govt. of the nation they gave their oaths to serve and defend? Fine. So do I. Don't you dare take it out on the soldiers, and sailors.

A job? Adventure? Service? All those reasons and more besides. Doesn't change the respect that the vast majority have earned.

She's my sister, and my best freind. I know her like none of you ever will. She joined, and served, to protect me. She served with honor and distinction during her time in the service of our country. Judge her when you can say the same.

Sounds like she is alive.

Unlike my brother. Who was a pawn in a corporate charade, and there is simply no other way to look at that logically.

Spare me your crying about 'judgmental' truths that 'hurt your feelings'. I stopped caring about peoples' nationalistic fabricated 'feelings' several years ago. Be offended; see where it gets you.
edit on 11-6-2011 by TheOrangeBrood because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

Yes, what you paraphrased from her is a "good" reason. It's unfortunate that the bottom of the pyramid has ideals and convictions, while the top of the pyramid squanders it.

There are no just wars, it is all a sham. There is only the act of taking advantage. There is no patriotism, only propaganda.

These ideals and convictions that manifest themselves as "desire to enlist" are the same ideals and convictions that could go towards many more productive endeavors.

For starters: education, working in the community, helping your neighbors build a barn, and on and on.

But, because war has always had a profit motive, and because it's easier to get people to sacrifice their lives for a propagandized notion than a minimum wage salary with slightly better than average benefits, the people who make the money off the war need the continued enlistment.

It's a racket as S. Butler wrote.

EDIT:
Unfortunately - and without the desire to insult or belittle her in anyway (or anyone else who has served, including my father, grandfathers, and other members of my extended family) - the neighbors, friends, family and others that she mentioned are NOT the ones to benefit. They do not live freer because we are in Iraq. They do not live freer because we are in Afghanistan. They do not live freer because we are in Pakistan, Yemen or Libya - and nor would they if we went into North Korea or Iran tomorrow. In fact, it's Orwellian by definition. The freedoms are on a sliding scale that is exactly juxtaposed to the amount of militarization we are engaging in.

The real list should be: The top 1% - the banks, the multinationals, the oil companies, big Pharma, Agribusiness and, of course, weapons manufactures. Without this tier of the pyramid, you would not have Nursultans and Putins and Kims and Castros and Ayatollahs and Pentagon Oligarchs and so forth.
edit on 11-6-2011 by Sphota because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

But that would mean you are an anarchist.

Unless it's without considering other peoples ideals. Take what you want whenever you want.

I hope it's more subtle is it ?

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Sphota

I understand and agree with you.

But ...

The reason from her gave me a new perspective. Before this, I did not know any good reason.
I'm still not of the opinion that enlisting is the wisest option . ( Because of your arguments and way more. ) But now... I understand people that do and that means I don't judge as easy or at least not as sure. Also, respect...

It's easy to loose or lack it while being predudaced, despite not being true.

Basically it gave me a more subtle and understanding view of all soldiers and with it a lot more respect.

I need people to tell me where I'm wrong ( all be it not in those exact words...) So I can learn and grow into the next question that will keep me busy...

She opened up new roads to travel , new questions to ask...

For this I'm gratefull. Dispite any contradictingideals and / or ideas. The reason I got Ayn Rand in my signature is because I am one that is happy with a compromise. Without understanding I could never find a balance personally...

I'm rambling.

I would not enlist for her reason, I have been wanting to enlist almost 10 years ago, for all the wrong reasons... My change of mind came with a blind eye to whatever reason another had untill now.

Anyway... It's complicated and hard to explain...imo.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOrangeBrood

Sounds like she is alive.

Yes, she is, and I'm very grateful for that.

[quoteUnlike my brother.

There's no response I can make for that, except one: I'm very sorry.

Who was a pawn in a corporate charade, and there is simply no other way to look at that logically.

Is that why he joined the military? To be a pawn? Somehow I doubt it.

Spare me your crying about 'judgmental' truths that 'hurt your feelings'. I stopped caring about peoples' nationalistic fabricated 'feelings' several years ago. Be offended; see where it gets you.

No one, least of all me, is forcing you to read my "crying", and I'm sorry the it seems to have offended you... You've judged many things yourself apparently. So why the issue with my judging? Thanks for your permission, I will be offended when someone attacks someone very near and dear to me. Not that I needed it, mind you, but thanks any way.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
I will be offended when someone attacks someone very near and dear to me. Not that I needed it, mind you, but thanks any way.

I guess if you were near and dear to Osama Bin Laden, then you would have been offended when he was killed.

Terrorists will be terrorists, regardless of what their uniforms are. Realization that you are one can and SHOULD be "scarring" and "hard to talk about", not "sorrowful" or "heroic".
edit on 12-6-2011 by TheOrangeBrood because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join