It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why would you enlist ?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I wouldn't enlist...period...I don't condone in being a puppet to foreign policy...thanks but no thanks

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

if i were to enlist in the military i would join the navy or air force. the technical training soldiers receive in these branches is pretty darn good. over the years i worked with men from all branches of the service. the navy and air force veterans are technically savvy. electronics, fluid power, radio transmitters/receivers, and the list goes on. i know of a couple of men, one an army vet and the other a marine vet they are both very good in working on automobiles. damm solid mechanics and welders.

i'm way too old now to enlist. but if i could it would be for the training.

-subfab

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas
she enlisted for her neighbor, for her brother, her family, her children, some guy across the street, or in another state, for you, every other country member... Why ? Because the people that enlisted before her made it possible for her to live the live she lives, you live, her brother, some guy she never even have met or ever will.... So she will be part of something bigger, so that you, your children, and their children's children will be able to have the same possibilities in life, the same standards, freedoms and safe place to grow up in...

And who of any of these people she mentions benefited from her military service recently?

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
It all depends on what you're after, I guess. There's a pretty wide field there - it's not all grabbing trigger time.

If you wanted to be a doctor, a medical tech of some sort like, say, a nurse anesthetist, a reactor operator, a helo mechanic or pilot or the like you could do worse than picking up the trade in the Armed Forces. It's also a route to go if you wanted to be a spook and could wangle the right posting.

There's some top research going on too, like NRL.

If you wanted to fly the stuff you guys talk about in some of the other forums, you won't do that going to ITT technical school, either.

It's a nice "in" to working at the State Dept or Pentagon too, even as a contractor afterwards.

Me, I had a scholarship, I turned it down for a contract. Somewhat because I grew up on Army bases, some of it's "family tradition" although I wasn't ever pressured to do it. It worked out for me - some of what I picked up you can't use in "polite society" but other parts of it have been a shiny road to getting contracts as an engineer. Not to mention that when I hit college about 8-10 years later than the other guys, I was a lot more focused and knew what I wanted. And there were those "summer jobs" - it's funny but once you're out you can sometimes re-contract with the gubmint to do pretty much the same thing for about 5 times the pay and without getting shot at nearly as often.

Of course, if you want one of those top secret off-world postings, you've got to go Navy or Air Force.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Join for your country, fight for your brother, go back for the paycheck.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

[quote]"Of course, if you want one of those top secret off-world postings, you've got to go Navy or Air Force."

Air Force.

edit on 9-6-2011 by simone50m because: quote didn't take.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by CobraCommander
Join for your country, fight for your brother, go back for the paycheck.

Whose brother benefited from any of the military's actions recently?

If the military was "fighting for us" and "standing up for our freedoms", they'd be in the homeland, attacking the White House. Instead they are blowing up the Middle East for corporate interest. "Fighting for our country".... yea... okay. About 90 people in our country who just want to turn more billions off of the billions they already have while everyone else argues about health insurance, income tax, and food stamps.

The American Military is nothing like the honorable profession it was 70 years ago, and people need to stop treating it like it is. It's exactly the nationalist regard for the military that was present in mid-century Germany. Sorry for the truth, I must be "offending someone"
edit on 10-6-2011 by TheOrangeBrood because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOrangeBrood

You misunderstood the meaning.

"The minute that first bullet goes flying past your head, politics and all that # goes right out the window" -Sgt Hoot, Blackhawk Down

When you are downrange, your brother is the man standing next to you.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Seems kind of ridiculous to fight off one tyrant in the name of another tyrant.

If I were to enlist I'd likely be a horrible drain on resources and a dangerous liability to everyone around me trying to screw the beast over for my own benefit.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

And who of any of these people she mentions benefited from her military service recently?

Nobody... I think what she says is that by serving, she takes part of a group of people fighting for generations to come that will have the same possibilities in life. because others do not get the chance of taking over.

It is a complicated issue IMO. By serving the beast the future ill not get any brighter regardless... That's what you mean don't you ?

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

My guess is that when people you love and care about are in danger people will fire a gun at the threat.
regardless of the attackers motives.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   

You misunderstood the meaning.

"The minute that first bullet goes flying past your head, politics and all that # goes right out the window" -Sgt Hoot, Blackhawk Down

When you are downrange, your brother is the man standing next to you.

Oh so he is benefiting from the whole thing by staying alive.

Something he could have done by not enlisting in a war for corporate interest in the first place.

Protecting other suckers who buy into the crap and put their lives on the line for Big Petro's checkbook somehow doesn't seem like a good reason to enlist.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Most kids that are recruited out of high school are clueless as to the bigger picture. Hell, most middle-aged adults are.

My brother joined right after 9/11. He is still a contractor, overseas right now as we speak. It's the only way he can make his mortgage payment.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by CobraCommander

I'm aware of the current situation with the youth in the country, but just to be clear, you are against enlisting? Because it doesn't sound like happy fun-time pro-country "brotherly love" after terrorizing the Middle East for the past 20 years.

Like you said, the only people that should be enlisting right now are clueless kids,

With nationalistic upbringings.

I'm just not seeing the "service" that the military currently claims to provide.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I did enlist to fight.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I enlisted into the Army because I was in need of money and at the time I couldn't find a job. Also I always wanted to repel out of a helicopter with a gun and feel soldierly..
The first reason being the most pertinent.
The second reason given there is absolutely childish as hell I know, but that's what happened.

Later, after being successfully brainwashed I believed I had entered because I was "one of a kind" Americas greatest resource if you will...Of course I know now that it was all BS of course, but I still wouldn't trade the experience for anything, I also wouldn't enlist again if my life depended on it.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

You enlist to learn how to do a job, to be an instrument of policy, not a policy writer or a philosopher.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   

The propaganda machine is the way that the government survive.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   

You enlist to learn how to do a job, to be an instrument of policy, not a policy writer or a philosopher.

Slave mentality.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Not at all. You want to go into politics, study political science. Want to learn how to hunt men, join the military.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join