It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ICC: Evidence shows that Qaddafi ordered rape of hundreds

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   

ICC: Evidence shows that Qaddafi ordered rape of hundreds

www.csmonitor.com

The International Criminal Court's chief prosecutor said Wednesday that there is evidence that Qaddafi ordered the rape of Libyan women and supplied troops with male potency drugs.
The International Criminal Court's chief prosecutor says there is evidence that Libyan leader Col. Muammar Qaddafi ordered the rape of hundreds of women to spread fear of his regime and curb dissent.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Another quote from the story reads

Although Qaddafi has suppressed dissent among Libyans for decades, often brutally, the use of rape as a weapon appears to be a disturbing new dynamic, said Mr. Moreno-Ocampo. "It was never the pattern he used to control the population. The rape is a new aspect of the repression. And that's why we had doubts at the beginning but now we are more convinced," he said, according to BBC News.

This makes me wonder if any of this is true or not...
See if I knew troops were going around raping women not only would I be hiding my wife and daughters... I would laying in ambush waiting to kill one of these SOB's..

So I have to ask myself... is this a valid "Control the population method" or some fabrication to justify a war crimes tribunal???
Fear and terror have always been around but to just start indiscriminately raping.... that is liable to incite rather then quell

What do you think???

www.csmonitor.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

When I see ICC prosecute Israel and its leaders, then I'll take it seriously. Otherwise, let's admit it is a political tool.

Of all the lies they made up against Qaddafi and spread through the media like wild fires, this one has to be the most ridiculous one. Although I'm not gonna say the possibility doesn't exist, just like I won't say the possibility doesn't exist that US used rape as a war tactic in Iraq, I mean we have picture evidence to prove that, but we don't see any ICC prosecution against any American leaders.

The evidence which ICC is talking about is gained through defects, those defects have as much credibility as mr. Curve ball who said Saddam and his Mustache was making WMDs in moving trucks

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
brought to you by the same people that gave you the 45 minute saddam warning...

but the majority will believe it in the meantime.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
the goverment use rape to justify getting who they want out of the way, or has wronged them

julian assange comes to mind

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Okay let me ask my question another way...

why "Rape" as a terror tool??? How can that be used to control your citizens???

why not murder,...chop off hands and feet... why not conscript their children...
Just grabbing women off the streets to rape... ???
that's the kind of action the causes mass disorder... at least in my mind

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

I dont wonder if its true or not. This is ridiculous propaganda.

ALL the propaganda used to convince people Libya needed attacking has been bad. Really bad. Bargain basement bad.

The only thing that I wonder about is how so many people are buying it. Even if it was good propaganda, which it isnt, the argument is SO similar to the "topple Saddam Hussein" line of crap its obviously recycled. But people are buying this recycled crap even though its insultingly poorly put together on top of it.

These propagandists are essentially saying, "the public are a bunch of morons who will buy anything we tell them" and basically just throwing out trash, and sadly, they are right. People do buy it.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

What do you think???

What i do think about the ICC? did you know sir that ICC is a tool share american government interests and that fact these so called apparent Evidences picked by the ICC agaisnt Gaddafi are only mainstream news outlets reports from east libya?

The ICC is a joke and a scam.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by confreak

When I see ICC prosecute Israel and its leaders, then I'll take it seriously. Otherwise, let's admit it is a political tool.

When I see the ICC prosecute America and its leaders, Ill take it seriously.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
Okay let me ask my question another way...

why "Rape" as a terror tool??? How can that be used to control your citizens???

why not murder,...chop off hands and feet... why not conscript their children...
Just grabbing women off the streets to rape... ???
that's the kind of action the causes mass disorder... at least in my mind

That kind of thing is already in use in other countries as punishment for theft etc wheras rape is not.

Basically, the "good" Colonel's men have always been brutal when following his orders to attack his own people but the fear of being raped or having a loved one raped would be enough to keep people quiet with only the bravest speaking out.

Oppressed people under a regime of terror and brutality where almost every family knows at least one person who has been raped by the regime's enforcers over the time since Gaddafi/Qaddafi's leadership began whether ordered by him or not and whether or not this came from the man himself, just the hearsay alone would shut people up and keep them in check just in case.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

And people wonder what my problem is with the International Criminal Court.

The ICC is not part of the UN, its a seperate entity entirely. Second, the ICC charter clearly and specifically states that non signatories are not subject to it, although they seem to be making an exception for Libya.

I wish they would take the term universal jurisdiction and place it where the sun does not shine.

For those who are not completely familiar with how the ICC works, I urge you to check into it. Its a good idea in concept, but very dangerous in practice since there is absolutely no checks and balance.

If the ICC goes through with this, then the next time any country acts unilaterally, ICC member countries need to sit down and shut up.

As far as the problems in Libya go, its an internal matter and the judicial system of Libya should address whether any crimes occured and what the punishment should be. The ICC, again, specifically states the country in question has primary jurisdiction and they get first crack. The ICC is only used when the country in question refuses to do anything about situation, and ONLY if the country is a member nation.

Let the people he oppresed deal with him.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
i read an article on msn earlier about this and most people on there thought this was bs so maybe the world is starting to wake up a bit.

the story is so stupid and an obvious lie, i kind of think they ,may have gone a step too far this time and just shot themselves in the foot.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Well I guess we all know what this means!!!!

Soon the US and its allies will have to sends troops in to "liberate" these poor wretched innocent civilians who have been under the heel of this dictator for far too long.

USA USA USA!!!!!!!!!!!

Isnt it convieient that all the leaders of these oil rich countries are such horrible men

Yep looks like the good ol propaganda machine has been cranked up to high, I predict soon well be hearing about Gaddafis harem of 6 year old male sex slaves and the pre pubescent girls he likes to torture to unwind after a hard day of giving his soldiers orders to rape people.

Sorry but if this had really happened pre revolt why wasnt the west doing something then?
To me (and Ill point out here Im not a political analyst or sociologist or anthropologist) using systematic rape to keep citizens in line when a revolt in happening seems kinda counter productive as I think any men would want to go out and kill those responsible for hurting their wives,mothers, daughters in such a way.

If TPTB wanted to make it believable why didnt they say Gaddafis soldiers claiming to be rebels carried out these atrocities? That I may have believed
edit on 9-6-2011 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

As far as the problems in Libya go, its an internal matter and the judicial system of Libya should address whether any crimes occured and what the punishment should be.

Let the people he oppresed deal with him.

Good luck with that when the regime would be biased in favour of Gaddafi like it always has and as we've seen for months, any opposition to him gets put down by his army.

Should we be bombing Libya or trying to send people into the country to supply the rebels or get the regime overturned? No, of course not but it's tough because on the one hand those injured on either side need humanitarian aid but then the oppression of the Gaddafi regime needs to be put down somehow too, permanently.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff
If TPTB wanted to make it believable why ........

Who are the powers that be?

I see people use it all the time, but no one can state who they are. The term "TPTB" has become the catch all phrase when describing world events.

Conspiracies wrapped insde enigmas...
edit on 9-6-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by curious7

Then Libya is the precedent for a doctrine many nations ignore.

Using the military option when only humanitarian needs are present. If thats the real reason for Libyan operations, then Iran, N. Korea, China and a whole slew of other nations can face the same fate.

The World must decide on a consistent policy that excludes all polotics.

In for a penny, in for a pound.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Excellent question

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff
Sorry but if this had really happened pre revolt why wasnt the west doing something then?

If TPTB wanted to make it believable why didnt they say Gaddafis soldiers claiming to be rebels carried out these atrocities? That I may have believed
edit on 9-6-2011 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

As far as the first line, state owned media pumps out its pro-regime propaganda and it was only when the rebellion actually started and social media was used to release information that the world's focus was on the area.

You never hear of North Korea much because of their state controlled media, same with China. In fact, MSM here has always pointed out whenever going to a reporter in Libya for the last few months that they're under strict guidelines to not say anything that isn't state approved or face the risk of their reporters and crew flown home and the company not allowed to send anyone else into the country at all, such is the restriction on what can and can't be reported while inside the country.

That's why there's a heavy reliance on Libyan civilians and defections as well as videos and images uploaded to social networks to know what's going on inside the country.

As far as your second line in my quote, are you really that anti-West yourself that you don't believe a single word of what is reported? I can understand if you avoided certain networks and news stations because of lies and bias, I do myself but to deny anything bad happening is actually going on and is a Western propaganda tool is akin to the Sean Penn speech about Iraq being a land of rainbows and sunshine where the children played with happy faces and gumdrop smiles from the Team America movie.

Dismiss some reprots that seem fishy yes but don't deny everything you hear as false and lies just to fit in with the other ridiculous sentiments on ATS. There's good and bad in every nation in this world, that's clear but don't ignore the good of the Western nations just to fit in with some kind of NWO theory you may have.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by curious7

Rape has been used to defeat the enemy across Africa. It was well documented in the Congo that the troops under orders used rape and were given meds to aid in the genocide of Congo. There is a youtube interview about why congo men used rape. They stated that they were told it was magic against their enemies. One must remember Libya is part of the African contient. The belief systems are integrated into society there.. Add beliefs and treatment of women under Islam wjich is the main religion in Libya. It would make perfect sense to use this as a tool of war. It may not make much sense to the general western population due to the lack of understanding of that region of the world.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Rape has always been a regularly used tool in war. Just look back to WW 2, The Congo ect. ect. I would be far more suprised to learn that Gadaffi's troops were not raping women, same goes to the rebels for that matter.

Troops in combat develop a pack mentalitity they do things that they would normally never do in a civilian setting. More times than not its civilians who suffer, thats just the way war is.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join