It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California man accused of planting spyware to photograph women

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by CoherentlyConfused

Totally Agree.. steam/water and electronics.. not good! However, people worried about their comp they just bought and having little knowldge would most likely bring their laptop into the bathroom with them! These are the same people that need the warnings like
'Caution, the coffee you are about to enjoy is extremely Hot!' so that they don't burn themselves and sue. Its not that they are stupid, they just lack the common knowledge needed to secure their privacy when using their computer.
Like they say, common knowledge, ain't so common!

edit on 6/9/2011 by Nspekta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

i guess they can go anywhere! And, of course, as technology gets better the cams will get smaller and clever people will figure out even better ways to hide them in everyday things! Everyone should be aware of this type of stuff happening!

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
When i brought my two laptops for home use, i brought the laptops that did not have an installed web cam. This way if i want to use a webcam when i talk to people. I have to plug it in. then i can unplug it when im finished.

i do have a laptop with an imbedded webcam for work, but this has a cover you have to slide to one side to use the webcam.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
More than ever, people need to be aware of this kind of tampering. And it isn't limited to your local computer guy. I've heard some pretty bad stories about companies who offer tech services to the consumer as well.

This is one reason I don't repair computers over the internet. It's better for the customer, and also limits liabilities.

As someone whose living depends on this industry, it makes me furious when stories like this surface. The consumer already gets scammed at every turn these days, and I don't like it when my industry takes a hit like this. It calls into question our ethics. As well it should.

Be aware folks. No anti-virus anti-malware is 100%. But keep your scans for malware run daily. And google programs on your computer that aren't easily identified.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nspekta

i guess they can go anywhere! And, of course, as technology gets better the cams will get smaller and clever people will figure out even better ways to hide them in everyday things! Everyone should be aware of this type of stuff happening!

If this stuff is on the open market, just think what isn't that's already being used by the government!

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

No kidding! I remember reading about a 'mosquito drone' that is in development (probably completed and being used!) with a mini cam in it. Basically, its a micro sized UAV for 'military' purposes.. however just wait for China to develop them and allow you to fly them through your smart phone or something. .... its a crazy $%#$#$ world we live in!

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

however just wait for China to develop them and allow you to fly them through your smart phone or something.

Not to sound paranoid
, but why fly them through your smart phone....where is your phone made to begin with?
Or as in the OP....the computer circuits....

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

You're right! Besides, after the Telecommunications act of 1996 where the government (The US i mean) insisted that all cell phones be tracked through GPS by 2001 AND that backdoor access be created so they can listen to your conversations etc.. I guess all someone needs to do is hack your smartphone and use the same principle of the spyware on computers to access a ton of info about you! Your location, your convo's, etc etc etc.... I'm making tin foil hats for everyone i know haha

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
We live in a world where everything can be watched at any time should anyone have the desire.

Those camera sniffers only work on wireless cameras, it is simple to run a wire to a normal transmission source (wifi, phone line etc) and make it invisible. There are some that work off electrical signatures which can also be hidden by any power box or fixture.

The fix for anyone paranoid about their webcam is as simple as a low adhesive tape or USB for external. No need to go though the difficulty of uninstalling the drivers as some suggested here!

For me I'm not personally concerned about someone hacking my cam and watching me, I am way more concerned about LEO or government being able to to use this technology to spy on people. I don't care about random perverts, they are harmless. I do care about the perverts who run the show, they are NOT harmless.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
spy bluetooth headset

spy carkey

spy clock

spy clothes hook

fake button cam

spy flashlight

spy sunglasses

spy thumbdrive

spy watch

Cameras everywhere!!!!!

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I bet this happens more than we know, least I've heard of cases where cameras were installed behind bathroom mirrors from stores to people's rented apartments.

Hey gals, remember to take a big burly man with you when buying, or having a computer built, or just have him get it for ya. Hopefully if there's a creep around he won't think twice about installing a cam to see ya(well, unless he likes your friend)!

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Um..WTF! I guess we should all be aware of this kind of stuff..

And if you weren't already why is it just now?

This has been happening since the 90's...

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
To photograph secretly and make scandals?

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I actually went to the same school with this guy and knew one of his friends. My understanding of what he did is that he installed the spyware himself on their computers when they were taken in for repair - it's not like he just hacked into the computers and took control of the webcams remotely. For something like this to happen, software needs to be installed, whether by an unscrupulous repairman like in this case or by an ignorant user.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join