It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California man accused of planting spyware to photograph women

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

California man accused of planting spyware to photograph women

ca.news.yahoo.com

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A 20-year-old California man was arrested on Wednesday, accused of planting spyware on dozens of computers to secretly photograph women in a state of undress, police said.

Trevor Harwell was taken into custody at his home in Fullerton, where detectives found hundreds of thousands of the pictures on his computer, Fullerton Police Spokesman Sgt. Andrew Goodrich said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Um..WTF! I guess we should all be aware of this kind of stuff.. its a good reason to stop ignoring that Norton/Kasperski renewal notice! Obviously there are some smart pervs out there that could do this to all sorts of random people.. I would bet money that many many more pervs are already doing this! BEWARE for you, your wife/gf/, your children especially! I hope they make this guy an example that you cannot invade peoples privacy this way... Sadly, most people probably dont realize that spyware is capable of doing this!
Now for the conspiracy part... I've heard Alex Jones talk about google watching you on your laptop (from what i understand a computer may or may not watch you through your webcam for information on how you react to certain ads/media and then they determine your reaction and either continue to use that type of advertising or not to entice you). True or not, obviously if this guy can do it, Google and/or TPTB can and probably are doing this now. I also recall hearding Mark Dice saying that he keeps tape over his webcam on his laptop all the time to ensure that his privacy is not invaded. Anyways, your thoughts?!

ca.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 6/9/2011 by Nspekta because: spelling...grrr

edit on 6/9/2011 by Nspekta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
get overly-paranoid about stuff like that--I un-installed all the drivers and software that run my laptop camera and disabled it in my services and device manager. I shut the wireless switch off at night, too. Probably overkill. lol Too many weirdos out there with skillz just looking to run their shady software on unsuspecting folks.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

That's why I keep my webcam unplugged when not in use

Call it paranoia if you want, but I would rather be safe than find some comprimising photos on the internet

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

The message mimicked a system error advising her of a problem with an "internal sensor" and advised: "If unsure what to do, try putting your laptop near hot steam for several minutes to clean the sensor."

Goodrich said many users who got a similar message took their laptops into the bathroom while they showered, where Harwell allegedly photographed them undressing or naked.

LOL Seriously? Maybe these folks don't need computers.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

No, I think especially after hearing this, it wouldnt be called paranoid, more of a safety issue! I was just thinking, the article says hundreds of thousands of pics!! So, someone you know (or even YOU!) could be naked on his laptop! Obviously there are too many pics and people to identify but should/could there be any compensation or even any knowledge of your pictures (or someone you know) on his computer?

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Maybe somebody more technically inclined than myself can answer this:

There's an on/off light on my camera. Does that light have to come on when the cameras on or can the camera be activated without the light coming on?

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by CoherentlyConfused

Wanna get really paranoid? Go to ebay and search for spy cam. They hide them in everything these days, they could be in bathrooms, changing rooms and you would never notice. They are tiny!

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I think it's more the less technically minded ones who have this happen to them. They either don't realize the lights are on, or know what they mean when they are on.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   

I think it depends on wether it is hard wired, or activated through a program. If it is hard wired, there is no way it could go on without the light coming on.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   

theres a USB male plug on my camera - i use that as an on / off switch - simples

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by CoherentlyConfused

Sad, but true! I think we can agree though that many many (too many!) people lack the knowledge when it comes to coomputers (how they work, how people can scam, etc etc etc). Yes, people should be more aware BUT i don't blame them for trying to 'fix' their computer by bringing it near steam. As ridiculous as it sounds, a lot of people are naive and lack the knowledge to see this is a scam.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Oh, trust me. I know. LOL I lived in an apartment complex (this was a long time ago) and I put masking tape around little suspicious looking holes in the fire detectors. I rarely use public facilities unless I really, really need to. I've watched too many shows and read too many articles about perverts that like to do that stuff.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Yup! reminds me of the story i heard about the guy hiding a camera in a coat hanger looking device to catch women using the washroom...

Source: www.myfoxla.com...

edit on 6/9/2011 by Nspekta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

theres a USB male plug on my camera - i use that as an on / off switch - simples

Laptop camera. It's in there unless I take a screwdriver to it.

Uninstalling the drivers and disabling it can be done but that can also be undone as long as it's physically connected.

I guess I should just put a band-aid over it.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

That's why I always carry a spy cam detector with me...among other tin hat things..lol. I'm actually serious here. I'd link one so everyone could see, but not sure about violating the T&C doing it. They don't help when your own computer is the spy cam though....

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

Actually china mass produces those, one of the many on ebay

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

Kind of embarrassing to admit, I was actually considering buying one of those detector/zappers from ebay.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

Yeah, I probably shouldn't laugh. I read that and immediately my mind came the thought, steam=water, water + electronics = bad idea, which really is just common sense.

When my daughter got her laptop, I made sure she knew what people were capable of and that she needs to take precaution ALL the time. She's very smart and completely gets it but it's scary what can happen out there and, you're right, you don't need to know anything at all about computers to own one and get online.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Not really. Well...maybe some...
But look. Here are all images of actual spy cam devices you can buy from the same place I bought my "defenses."

Cigarette Lighter Cam

Pen Camera

Car remote cam

Cams are literally in everything. Like the old saying goes though, you might be paranoid, but it's doesn't mean someone isn't watching you!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join