It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deadly Levels of Radiation Detected in Tokyo at Ground Level

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by thedeadwalkk
reply to post by poet1b

lol that the fact that this post has the silver content label is ridiculous.
I mean, your claims are extremely outlandish!

that label has to do with the poster and not the post.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
reply to post by silent thunder

do you have your instrument calibrated at all? I don't know where you go to get a Geiger counter calibrated, but if you have that done, you can have a much better idea that your readings are true and correct.
I don't know anything about radiation, but I do know instrumentation. Even if it is out of calibration now, taking ambient readings from inside at the same location before you go out and take reading in the field will help establish a base and a variance. Stay safe and enjoy some sushi.

Hey, thanks. The instrument was calibrated, and I also can see each day that it is generally in agreement with the values being taken by other independent measurers.

But as I noted above, the professor I spoke with seemed to feel that even though my instrument was probably accurate, the types of readings I'm taking of ambient air radiation are not all that useful, because the "hot spot" factor and the presence of small radioactive particles will be the real danger, and unless you just happen to be standing in the middle of a hot spot, waving the geiger around randomly in the air isn't going to tell you all that much (other than you aren't in imminent danger of keeling over dead any minute).

In the last few days, my reading of the situation and my general outlook has become more pessimistic.

I think the real dangers and the real tragedies are going to be long-term...they will be reflected in things like higher cancer rates, leukemia, poisoned water and food chains, and so on. This is likely to be much less visually dramatic than earthquakes or typhoons so you won't see as much public attention on it, sadly.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

wouldn't your exposure now be an issue in the future? I mean, I don't want to tell you your business, but if it's not mission essential that you wander around Tokyo, perhaps you could find some Sushi in other parts of the world.

I would just hate to see anyone suffer bad things in the future for silly reasons. If you must remain, then good luck and be safe.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
But as I noted above, the professor I spoke with seemed to feel that even though my instrument was probably accurate, the types of readings I'm taking of ambient air radiation are not all that useful, because the "hot spot" factor and the presence of small radioactive particles will be the real danger...

In the last few days, my reading of the situation and my general outlook has become more pessimistic.

I think the real dangers and the real tragedies are going to be long-term...they will be reflected in things like higher cancer rates, leukemia, poisoned water and food chains, and so on.
It sounds like the professor's advice is probably correct, and sorry to hear it made you a little more pessimistic, but I think it's better to be pessimistic knowing the risks, rather than be blissfully ignorant and not know about the risks.

It sounds like you have also come to understand the limitations of the Geiger counter, what it can and can't do.

Weren't some people in Tokyo wearing dust masks on their face even before Fukushima? Has the percentage gone up any since then or is it still just a few? If there are any small radioactive particles in the air, I suppose that might possibly reduce the number of them breathed in, though I don't know how much help it would be. In my personal experience, the really low end dust masks don't help that much even with dust, but the better the mask the more effective it is. I got a painter's mask that I use for...painting, and it works really well, but it's got a valve that bypasses the filter when you exhale, that makes your breathing sound kind of "Darth-Vader-ish". I'd be keeping an eye on the number of "hot particles" in the air in Tokyo....they are supposed to put up some tents by the end of the year and so I think you should only see some limited exposure between the accident and the time they get those tents up later this year (I heard the expected completion date was around year-end). I do think the tents might help reduce exposure outside the tents, it's too bad they can't get them up any faster. But they will also elevate concentrations inside the tents making working inside them even harder.

Other than the possibility of using a dust mask when outdoors, just practice good dust hygiene, meaning wash your hands, take your shoes off as you enter the house, etc, just in case you stepped in a hotspot on the way home, so you won't drag the radioactive particles inside your dwelling.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

If a picture is worth a thousand words, than a video is worth a million.

WARNING..........Graphic cows dying in Japan from radiation and this was in April.

"Earlier this April we made our way to Fukushima to do some investigative reporting of the current conditions in the five- to ten-kilometer area around the Fukushima Dai-ichi Nuclear Power Plant. This is the first in a series of articles where we will report our findings from our time on the ground in Fukushima.

The location for our first story is a ranch in Namie, a town located 10 kilometers from the nuclear plant. Here, instead of the lively sounds of farmers going about their daily work, the air is filled with the desperate cries of abandoned cattle. Going to the barn to investigate, we found that over half the cattle in every pen were dead, and the rest were letting out heartbreaking cries for help as they stood among the corpses.

As of April 11th this ranch falls within the 20 kilometer evacuation zone enacted by the Japanese government, and is considered to be at risk of reaching radioactive levels significantly higher than those of other areas. As a result, the owner and staff of the ranch have all taken refuge elsewhere, leaving no one to provide the cattle food and water.

We can therefore presume that the cattle are dying of thirst and starvation, though the precise cause of the deaths has yet to be determined.

Normally, the cattle are able to use their nose to push a pedal that releases water at a drinking hole in the barn. However, no water came out when we tried for ourselves, suggesting that the water supply has been stopped.

By coincidence, we ran into some residents of Namie who knew of the situation and had prepared water and a little feed for the cows. However, they said they were only on their way to gather belongings from their home to prepare for evacuation, and that they would be leaving the town within the day.

At this rate, the remaining cows will most likely die within a few days unless someone can come to give them food and water regularly—even so, it is unclear when it will be safe for residents of Namie to return to their homes.

We can understand why the staff, fearing radiation poisoning, would flee and feel it unsafe to come back to tend to their cattle. We have no intentions of blaming the farmers, and understand that people must give priority to their own safety. Still, the sight of these abandoned animals was all too tragic.

Even now, the starving cattle can only wait for whichever comes to greet them first: the humans that abandoned them, or death."

Suggest clicking on the You Tube link at the bottom right to see other footage.

This along with our Gulf Oil Gusher, Earth Quakes, Volcanos erupting all over does not bode well for humanity.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Was planning on flying to Tokyo for 3 days to visit a friend? Anyone think I should cancel the trip or given the current readings do you think it'd be ok since I'll be there for a short time period??

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join