It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unemployed about to be crushed even more

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
This is real bad..

Unemployment benefits fading away

Nearly all Americans who find themselves out of work starting next month will likely receive only 26 weeks of state unemployment checks -- at most.

Why? Because the deadline to file for extended federal benefits expires at the end of the year.

"Most people who lose their jobs after July 1... won't be eligible for federal unemployment benefits," said George Wentworth, senior staff attorney at the National Employment Law Project.

And 26 weeks is ``good``...

If you are in Michigan, Florida, South Carolina or Missouri, you only get 20 weeks of unemployment. If you are in Arkansas or Illinois, you get 25 weeks.

"More than 50% of everyone collecting state unemployment insurance are exhausting their state benefits without finding a new job,"

And this is with the current maximum of 73 weeks of unemployment.... what ya think it's gonna be when this is cut to 20-26 weeks? 75-80% can't find a job before their unemployment runs out?

My guess would be that Republicans will pass another unemployment benefits extension... but I doubt it very much since they've never been very ``pro-people``...

Of course those unemployment checks running out will make the economy hurt even more... since all of that unemployment money is being spent directly in the economy...so wouldn't surprise me if the economy takes a big dump early 2012 if unemployment isn't extended yet again.
edit on 9-6-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I am sure the amount individuals and companies pay for unemployement insurance will not change.
Very interesting, just like all other sellers.
Same price smaller package.

At what point will they just abolish this legal form of extortion?

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   

What an awesome way to drop the "unemployment" rate! Get people off faster or keep Them off entirely! Who cares if They are unemployed in real life? The numbers LOOK so good!

Believe Me, I know how much BS the numbers They quote are. I know many, many people with no jobs, out looking for work, that are no longer on the unemployment rolls - and THEY don't count as "unemployed."

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

At what point will they just abolish this legal form of extortion?

Um... Extortion? I do believe these People paid in to unemployment insurance. I know *I* did. If One pays for insurance, it's hardly "extortion" when One comes to collect, eh?

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Good maybe these unemployed people will get pissed and head to Washington D C. Until theres some mass protests these worthless Congressmen arent going to get off there arses and start taking on China's job killing "free trade" American suicide policy.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Historically Obama seems like Herbert Hoover. Hoover bailed out the banks and left the little people turning in the wind. Russian researchers have found a glitch in census reports for the great depression days in the US. They speculate that 7 million Americans starved to death.

Middle of the month, go to the grocery stores, seem empty. The people have already spent their estampas.

Last time I went to the dollar store the two people behind me bought only one dollar worth of stuff each and put it on their govt. cards. Good liquor sale at the grocery store today, few seemed to be taking advantage..

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

Insurance is ALWAYS extortion.
Not all qualify for unemployement insurance, as legalese gets in the way more than some think.
Example: you get let go for a period and will be back to work.
No unemployement as you have a promised job lined up.
I would have rather kept my money from the start and had a good incentive to work.
Not that this applies to me as I am fat old and retired.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
My husband just lost his job- laid off. He went to work there part time when he was a teenager, after highschool went in the navy, then went back to work there 25 years ago. So for 25 years he had worked there, and the man never stayed out of work. He'd be sick and going to work, or on vacation taking calls from work.

And he was dropped like he was nothing.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amaterasu

What an awesome way to drop the "unemployment" rate! Get people off faster or keep Them off entirely! Who cares if They are unemployed in real life? The numbers LOOK so good!

Believe Me, I know how much BS the numbers They quote are. I know many, many people with no jobs, out looking for work, that are no longer on the unemployment rolls - and THEY don't count as "unemployed."

But there have been studies on these people and it's probably a surprise to you that there're really not that many. In my nearby state the unemployment rate is somewhere around 8 percent. But when they included people who're no longer looking for work, it only jumped to 11%.

Granted, 11% is not something to praise, but it's not the end of the world. During the great depressed, i think it would have been a lot higher. Ofc, it was different from state to state.

I think this gut reaction to make the numbers worse than they really are just a method people use to blame someone else other than themselves. There're jobs out there. There're things you can do. Throwing your hands up and giving up because you think it's pointless to try is like walking off a cliff. When is walking off a cliff good for you unless you're suicidal?

It's best not to look at the numbers and just do what you need to do.
edit on 9-6-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Weekly random drug tests for everyone on unemployment, you cant get a new job if you are high
require all on unemployment and welfare to take jobs held by illegal imigrants.
require and doccument 10 new job contacts each week

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by rlrsar
Weekly random drug tests for everyone on unemployment, you cant get a new job if you are high
require all on unemployment and welfare to take jobs held by illegal imigrants.
require and doccument 10 new job contacts each week

Bout' time americans started doing the dirty work and stopped moaning. My grandfathers generation would have been proud to work these jobs that illegals have right now. They were true americans. Personally, I think that illegals came here to work and we should let them.

This country was founded on hard workers. Returning to that ethic is the right thing to do.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

Do they have to work for 50 bucks a day too?

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

Do they have to work for 50 bucks a day too?

You do whatever you have to. This country would be nothing if people didn't.

When my grandfather came here he had no unemployment check. He took whatever job was available. Mining, farming, whatever. He did it. His generation was bold. Our generation could learn from him. Maybe how to do things on our own. How to get by. How to build up this country.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   

So you would bust your ass all day doing hard labor, for like 25 dollar profit? That is practically slave labor, the only way to live off money like that is to pile in 30 to a house like illegals do. Yeah our blue collar men should just learn to live like cockroaches and like it!
edit on Thu, 09 Jun 2011 09:38:24 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

So you would bust your ass all day doing hard labor, for like 25 dollar profit? That is practically slave labor, the only way to live off money like that is to pile in 30 to a house like illegals do. Yeah our blue collar men should just learn to live like cockroaches and like it!
edit on Thu, 09 Jun 2011 09:38:24 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

I have nothing to say that. It's blatantly racist and deceptive too. The illegals i've seen are harder workers than average americans. Say what you want, but america is getting weak-kneed.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Only the desk jockeys are weak. There are plenty of us that work manual labor jobs. The only reason you think illegals illegals work harder is because they are the only ones getting hired as laborers, because they are willing to work for 50 bucks a day cash(in NY), that don't even cover half the rent of a one room apt in NY. The whole "illegals are the only ones willing to do it" is a lie people that like to exploit illegals for chump change love to spread.
edit on Thu, 09 Jun 2011 09:46:35 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

edit on Thu, 09 Jun 2011 09:48:03 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Why is that surprising? Under Reagan administration and the economy went in the toilet. Most people didn't get any unemployment. There were so many people out of work the states said they couldn't pay The funds were gone and the states were broke. I remember going to the unemployment office the first and only time I ever needed to apply and there were more lawyers there than applicants. People had hired them in attemp to get what was rightfully theirs. I never did get my unemployment I don't know if they ever got any or not. Luckily I suffered for a while and then managed to find work in another state.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by lokdog
Good maybe these unemployed people will get pissed and head to Washington D C. Until theres some mass protests these worthless Congressmen arent going to get off there arses and start taking on China's job killing "free trade" American suicide policy.

Forget China, the common man there has to earn a living too. Instead protest the misappropriation of the tax dollar to fund illegal wars.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
reply to post by Amaterasu

Insurance is ALWAYS extortion.
Not all qualify for unemployement insurance, as legalese gets in the way more than some think.
Example: you get let go for a period and will be back to work.
No unemployement as you have a promised job lined up.
I would have rather kept my money from the start and had a good incentive to work.
Not that this applies to me as I am fat old and retired.

Um... I had plenty of incentive to work, and do the best job possible. Still, the company was bought out by a corporation, My work was shipped out of state, and I was laid off. I then have proceeded to apply to somewhere between 35,000 and 50,000 jobs over the last five years. But... I am old and competing with 20- and 30-somethings - and college students (this is a big college town). I am never the lucky One hired.

I do not say that unemployment is fair. It's very much NOT fair. And I also don't see insurance as extortion. Pay a premium to guard against loss and should One have such loss, One is compensated, per agreement. How is that extortion?

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by jonnywhite
Originally posted by Amaterasu

I think this gut reaction to make the numbers worse than they really are just a method people use to blame someone else other than themselves. There're jobs out there. There're things you can do. Throwing your hands up and giving up because you think it's pointless to try is like walking off a cliff. When is walking off a cliff good for you unless you're suicidal?

Um... I was laid off a bit over five years ago. Right from the get-go I was applying to 25-50 jobs a day, in person and on the Interweb. I am STILL applying. I have physical limitations and also am old. No One is hiring old, arthritic ladies when they can choose from 50 twentysomethings and thirtysomethings. How long does One need to go - having applied to somewhere between 35,000 and 50,000 jobs - before One can rightfully throw up One's hands?

Also... I did a lot of volunteering at the homeless shelter here. Believe Me, it may not be as bad where YOU are, but 'round these parts, 25% looks conservative. Many, many people who NEVER thought They would be HOMELESS. I know *I* didn't when it finally hit Me.

It's best not to look at the numbers and just do what you need to do.

No. We need to look at the numbers. If We do not, We cannot see a problem, and therefore cannot fix it. We need to do what We can AND look at the numbers.
edit on 6/9/2011 by Amaterasu because: tags

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join