It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sexual assault victim records attacker on cell phone

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Sexual assault victim records attacker on cell phone

www.jorbit.com

Police are searching for a man who they say sexually assaulted a woman after she used her cell phone to record the suspect burglarizing her Oakland, California, home.Police released the cell phone footage to the media Wednesday, hoping to identify the man who attacked the 28-year-old woman a day earlier, said Officer Holly Joshi, an Oakland Police Department spokeswoman
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.jorbit.com

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
brave woman. I believe in that woman bravery in such a time .

"The woman, whose identity is being withheld, was at home when she heard a loud noise, according to police. She went to find out what caused the noise when she saw the man in her hallway.
The woman managed to capture 13 seconds of footage that shows a man carrying a box of electronics down the hallway of the woman's home."

www.jorbit.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
This video is exactly why EVERYONE needs to own a gun. She would've popped this creep in the face 8 times before he even had a chance to sexually assault her. Sad story, I hope this a-hole goes to jail and gets whats coming to him.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by JustBreathe11

Seriously.

Cell phone to record her rapist or a gun to stop her rapist?

Gee, tough one.

They're always brave survivors when they're victims.
When they stop the attack they're footnotes on page 9.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Of course, if the assailant was a cop in MA, MD or IL, she be under arrest for violating wiretap laws and he'd receive no punishment.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
The problem with a gun is that it isn't always to hand, and a lot of people would be better beating their assailant with the handle than trying to shoot them. I know that on here there are some really heavily armed and skilled marksmen (and women), but the vast majority of people handling a gun would be a danger mostly to themselves, looking down the barrel cause the safety is on, click BANG! or other equally stupid and dangerous acts.

Even if we were allowed a gun in the UK I wouldn't have one, the only person in our house able to shoot is the wife, and I for one don't fancy doing chores at gunpoint!

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rob37n
...but the vast majority of people handling a gun would be a danger mostly to themselves, looking down the barrel cause the safety is on, click BANG! or other equally stupid and dangerous acts.

For that to be true you would have hand a gun to somebody who has never used one and assume that they would lock it away in some drawer somewhere and never tough it, learn it, train with it, etc...

That's like having a car in the driveway you never learned how to drive.

Or, what an awful lot of people do, having a fire extinguisher and never practice with it.

So when the waste bin catches fire you fumble like an idiot having never bothered to practice.

Maybe I'm assuming too much of imbecile humanity but I would have to believe that if you own a car you know how to drive, if you own a fire extinguisher you know how to use it and if you own a gun you know how to shoot it.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I agree about her needing to own a gun.

Without a gun, she armed herself with the best thing she could: evidence of the crime.

But there is no other better evidence than a cold body.

People, we are given our 2nd Amendment rights for a reason. Everyone who knows me knows I own guns, and that everyone in my house is trained to use them. If i don't get to my 12 ga soon enough, my son will. You would have to be a complete idiot to try to enter my home.

I recommend the same to all of you, too. Own guns, and take them out to shoot often. There is no harm to be had in having people see you and your guns together.

The only dangerous gun is the one in the hands of someone who is not familiar with it. Buy one, get familiar with it, and protect yourself.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by usanews

Wow, 13 seconds of footage? And they both acted calmly and coolly?

That is plenty of time to dial 911 and lay the phone on the counter, reach next to the night stand and grab the 12 guage, and give it a nice big pump!

After that, order him to the ground and wait on cops to arrive or him to forget to lay still and get blasted!

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by JustBreathe11

I agree law-abiding citizens should own guns. But a gun is only useful if you're aware of your surrounding. A person is at a huge disadvantage if he/she is caught flatfooted from an attack. The attacker would have to be stupid for the victim to win if caught flatfooted.

And that is my point. People need to be more aware of their surroundings. You don't have to always be on red alert 24/7. But you should at least pay attention to what is around you. This mentality would help so many people from being victims.

I used to live in a metropolis. There are so many people uncaring and unaware of their surroundings. That makes them target #1 compared to a person alert.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
You just point and shoot, lets not act like firing a gun is rocket science..

Specially if you have a revolver, not a lot of moving parts, don't
need to know how to take it apart.

Point and shoot, a six year old can point and shoot...

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I'm a young woman home alone most of the time. I don't have a gun but I do have a giant wooden staff next to my bed that I've been learning how to use for self defense and I have mace too. I think I could do some damage with my staff though, almost broke a friends ribs just barely hitting him when I was showin off moves lol.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by matrixportal

Don't trust the mace. I have tested several different types of mace on myself and friends, and none of them have been disabling. Irritating and painful, but not disabling, and that was without the benefits of drugs or rage. I do not believe mace would do anything to stop an attacker.

As for the staff, if you are training with it, then GREAT!!

For most people the staff wouldn't be much help either, because a more experienced person would probably just take it away, but if you are learning to wield and handle it, then I think it is a great idea!
edit on 9-6-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by hillynilly
You just point and shoot, lets not act like firing a gun is rocket science.

I highly disagree with your comment, hillynilly.

There's more to it than pulling a trigger when you use a firearm. Its a big responsibility. The shooter must know what he/she is getting into before they pull that trigger. Plus, are they ready to defend themselves with a firearm? Because there's a chance that shot may kill someone. You are responsible for every bullet that leaves your barrel. Our wonderful justice system can kick your butt, even if you survive the attack. Be wary of the Criminal and Civil courts.

All that and more must be decided before you purchase a firearm. If not, then you will have a split second when the attack begins and your gun is in your hand. Most people don't want to think about it and ignore it. But it is a cold hard truth.

That is why tactical training and practice is very important. You'd be surprise how easy it is to miss your target, even at close range, when your life is in danger. There is a saying in the tactical industry, "You are only half as good as your best day on the range."

Practice, Practice, Practice. Shooting is not a natural thing to do. Why else do special forces shoot hundreds of rounds a day during training?
edit on 9-6-2011 by guppy because: because i said so

top topics

join